HP Pavilion a6120n 100% Working!

5 posts in this topic

HP Pavilion a6120n Desktop PC

291Picture_1.png

Tonight I managed to get OSx86 to work on my HP Pavilion a6120n and I want to share everything I did to get this done so fellow a6120n users and similar hardwared computers will enjoy Mac OS X like it was meant to be.

Install OSx86

Preferred release: Kalyway 10.5.2 Leopard

Why: I tried iAtkos and Kalyway, and I was more impressed with Kalyway because it kept the release closest to the real thing so that really turned me on. Other than that it came with exactly what is needed for my PC, just not the drivers... :(

Remember to select the Vanilla kernel when customizing installation! (a6120n is a Core 2 Duo computer)

Before we get into installing kexts you should....

1. Have Kext Helper installed, don't play games and act tough in the terminal, it's just the safest way and everybody can forget a command or two that can lead to confusion.
  2. Have knowledge of extracting the vendor and device id from the DCPIManager to edit the Info.plist file in each kext to match the system it is used on.

Installed, but no Internet ?

Download the Intel Pro 100/v AppleIntel8255x.kext file. Extract it to your desktop. Extract the vendor/device ID and place it in this form: 0x{deviceid}{vendor}. Mine is 0x27DC8086. Open the kext file by right clicking and selecting "Show Package Contents", find the Info.plist file, look for "IOPCIMatch" and verify that your formed vendor and device ID are in the key's string. If not, simply add the hex and save the file. It should still be in your desktop, so there shouldn't be a permission problem to save the file. Now open up the Kext Helper and install the kext. You should get a "Install looks to be fine, cross fingers and reboot" message. If so, reboot, and open this page again from your Mac.

What about the graphics?

First, download the Leopard Graphics Update v1.0 and install it to your Mac. Reboot. Download the following kext package which contains: AppleIntelGMA950.kext, AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext, and Natit.kext. For each kext, open and edit Info.plist and verify that your device ID/vendor exist in IOPCIMatch or (sometimes it's IOPCIPrimaryMatch) using the DCPIManager.

Info about the kexts: AppleIntelGMA950.kext is from the darwin950 Google Code project (Thanks spikegotti!), the Natit.kext is from an older Tiger release, and the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is also from an older release.

How did I get it to work? I tried different combinations of the files until I finally got full QE/CI support and 1680x1020 resolution and the Flurry screensaver looking better than ever! (No lag at all!). And now PhotoBooth works!!!!

No sound, what a shame!

Easily fixable. Download AppleAzaliaAudio.kext which is for the Realtek ALC882. The vendor/device ID does not appear in DCPIManager, so I got mine through Vista, which is 0x088810ec and is already in the file. (No, I did not accidentally flip the device ID and vendor, they are just like that.) This time you're adding or verifying your hex in 'IOHDAudioCodecVendorID'.

Only one problem relies: It's hard to leave the computer when it's looking so good.

Seriously! And I just calibrated my screen's colors using the ColorSync Utility, and I can't believe I've been missing so much. The aurora looks like it's really there, and Flurry looks like as if it was on a real Mac!

I didn't really calibrate them, I just placed all the knobs up or down according to what looked better, it's a color mode meant for people who do Web stuff but not for anyone needing to know real colors like designers, movie and image editors. It can really make everything darker.

• 1 year later...

Hey. Do you think that your method work with my PC?

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 2.40 GHZ

Memory: 5120 MB DDR2

Hard Drive: 750 GB

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit with Service Pack 1

Please reply

• 2 years later...