Trouble installing 10.5.3 update - system logs out

efp

13 posts in this topic

hi,

Everytime i try and update to 10.5.3 my machine crashes before i can restart and then i need to re-install MAC.

I've followed the directions just like mentioned in all 10.5.3 update articles.

1. I back up my Extensions folder where all of my .kexts are.

2. I open shell and start running the script

while sleep 1; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; done

3. I start installing the update (i've downloaded the update and mounted it)

4. Once the update is done i stop the script (CTRL+ C)

5. I edit the startup script (nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1)

replacing

/System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext</code><code>

with

</code><code>/System/Library/Extensions/dsmos.kext

As soon as i save the Start up script and exit shell the machine just logs out and gives me a blank blue screen.

When i try to start up mac it just keeps rebooting.

Can someone please tell me what im doing wrong?

I've bin following the howtos word for word but i really seem to be strugling with this!

After you've modified the 1 script, don't quit the terminal - you then need to move your kexts back before allowing the system to reboot.

Then you should be running 10.5.3 but without CI/QE - so then you need to run your video card installer to get video back up and running properly.

After you've modified the 1 script, don't quit the terminal - you then need to move your kexts back before allowing the system to reboot.

Then you should be running 10.5.3 but without CI/QE - so then you need to run your video card installer to get video back up and running properly.

I backed up the whole extensions folder, is that alright or should i individually backup audio, graphics, etc?

And, how would i go about running my video card installer? i got no idea...

Firstly please put your system info in your signature... this helps people work out what you need.

What gfx card do you have?

What moboard do you have?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro - and I used the new ATI installer to get my gfx sorted.

You don't need to backup all the kexts. In fact I didn't back any up - I used the kexts that were in Mysticus C's updater (but didn't use the updater - just stole the kexts). I also had to get the latest JMicronATA.kext for my IDE burner.

Need more info on your setup.

Firstly please put your system info in your signature... this helps people work out what you need.

What gfx card do you have?

What moboard do you have?

I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro - and I used the new ATI installer to get my gfx sorted.

You don't need to backup all the kexts. In fact I didn't back any up - I used the kexts that were in Mysticus C's updater (but didn't use the updater - just stole the kexts). I also had to get the latest JMicronATA.kext for my IDE burner.

Need more info on your setup.

I updated my signature.

I've got the Geforce FX5200 OC and Asus M2V mobo.

I can see straight away from your sig that you have an AMD CPU.... If you're using the Apple Combo Upate, then you'll have issues because it will install the vanilla kernel!

You need a modified kernel that will run on an AMD CPU.

Were you running the kaybl kernel before?

Were you running the kaybl kernel before?

kaybl i've never heard of. i cant remember what kernel i picked. it was for AMD which included the Sleep mode.

uname -r gave me: 9.2.0

So you're going to have to use that old kernel.... you cannot use the vanilla kernel with an ADM CPU.

You can use the old kernel, I'm not sure if any new hacked ones have been released... I'm sure someone else here will know.

But how do i do that? How do i keep my old kernel/replace it?

I think you should try Mysticus C's 10.5.3 updater.... then you can select which kernel you want to use.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Also contains patches for SMBIOS, mobard chipsets, LAN, some video cards etc etc.

You can manually set your old kernel by chaning the name of the current kernel to mach_kernel.orig (mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.orig) Then copy your old kernel to / (assuming of course you still have the old kernel!)

I think you should try Mysticus C's 10.5.3 updater.... then you can select which kernel you want to use.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=109102

Also contains patches for SMBIOS, mobard chipsets, LAN, some video cards etc etc.

You can manually set your old kernel by chaning the name of the current kernel to mach_kernel.orig (mv /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.orig) Then copy your old kernel to / (assuming of course you still have the old kernel!)

Im gonna try and install it now. thanks for all the help.

I can see a mach_kernel in my /root, as well ass sleepkernel, speedstepkernel and vanillakernel.

Where do i need to look for mine?