Building first computer - Hackintosh

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone! I am very very new at building machines, but I'm dying to have a hackintosh. My budget is low about $600. (i know cheap)

here are the components I have selected now:

MOBO- ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard -----$179.99

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 --------------------------$209.99

GRAPHICS- EVGA GeForce 8600 GT / 256MB GDDR3 / SLI Ready -------------------$89.99

RAM- OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz 2x2gb----------$80.00

CASE- Cool Master 500 watt p/s----------------------------------------------------------$80

HARD DRIVE- I have a 250gb already.

After various rebates, etc this all adds up to about $618, which is just in my price range.

My question is ^^^ WILL THESE WORK?? ^^^ I would like to have the easiest possible installation. if there is a mobo that is more compatible with less patching, let me know pls. this system will be used for FCP and video editing.

Thanks very much!! :)

I'm totally no expert (only hackintoshed my own computer). But from what I understand, OSX can be installed on pretty much any current system. The only thing that you really need to worry about getting to work is the video card, the NIC, and the audio. And you can search around these forums to find out if the ones you will be using works on the hackintosh.

Thank you guys. but I now have the question of: am I choosing right components with the most bang for the buck? This system is going to be for video editing, so RAM is key. 4 gb's is plenty in my opinion. ..... what about the Graphics?? thats where I am unsure. Also, the MOBO, are there any other better motherboards for the same or cheaper price.

Thanks again!!

The mobo in my main sig system is around the same price as the Asus. I went with it initally vs. the same Asus after reading a lot of success stories around here and other sites, and just checking the 10.5.2 HCL and figuring there were a few less things to patch, and most everything working OOB. Having never used the Asus, I can't say it's not just as good, just I know for sure the Gigabyte board works great and doesn't require much patching. I'm using this system for FCP, and it kicks butt at it.

I have the same video card- it works perfectly and is an excellent choice. I used NVinject and some kext hacking to enable CI/QE- FCP won't run without both.

There are cheaper boards that work fine too- just read what others are using and check the HCL. It all depends on your needs. Several PCI/PCIe slots? Onboard firewire? Wireless? How many SATA/USB/IDE ports?

The ability to actually handle 4GB or more of RAM without crashing is crucial too.

You're probably in best bet range where you are if you need more rather than less of the above.

To Gord1020. I have almost the exact same specs to what you listed (check out my sig for specs). With the Kalyway 10.5.2 install, the MB works fine, sound and network cards also are perfect (just make sure you select the NIC and WiFi cards during the install - hit the "Customise" button). I also deselected all graphics and selected only vanilla kernel.The only issue i had was getting the graphics working. Currently it is perfect (with CI/QE) but i have had to do a lot of mucking around to get it this way and am not rebooting for fear of the graphics stuffing up again as it seems to consistently do.To Zaap. If possible, can you provide some assistance in the steps you had to do to get your graphics card working properly (kext hacks etc). I have got mine working a few times with full res and CI/QE but after a reboot it has been dropping the CI/QE (and sometimes just not showing anything at all). I suspect kext issues but not sure how to get it stable.What i did was installed the 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel and Boot.EFI V8 then booted in and moved NV* and GeF* from the extensions directory to ensure no kexts were there before putting NVinject.kext in extensions followed by an install of the NVinstaller 4.2. Any assistance would be great. Oh and all permissions are correct.To Gord1020. I have fully documented my install so if you end up with the hardware, let me know and i will post it (I would love to have the graphics thing sorted, and include that first though to complete the doc). I am a noob to this scene and have worded it for ease of use and included screen shots.

The mobo in my main sig system is around the same price as the Asus. I went with it initally vs. the same Asus after reading a lot of success stories around here and other sites, and just checking the 10.5.2 HCL and figuring there were a few less things to patch, and most everything working OOB. Having never used the Asus, I can't say it's not just as good, just I know for sure the Gigabyte board works great and doesn't require much patching. I'm using this system for FCP, and it kicks butt at it. I have the same video card- it works perfectly and is an excellent choice. I used NVinject and some kext hacking to enable CI/QE- FCP won't run without both.There are cheaper boards that work fine too- just read what others are using and check the HCL. It all depends on your needs. Several PCI/PCIe slots? Onboard firewire? Wireless? How many SATA/USB/IDE ports?The ability to actually handle 4GB or more of RAM without crashing is crucial too.You're probably in best bet range where you are if you need more rather than less of the above.
Sorry, didnt see the 'reply' button to reply directly to your post.If possible, can you provide some assistance in the steps you had to do to get your graphics card working properly (kext hacks etc). I have got mine working a few times with full res and CI/QE but after a reboot it has been dropping the CI/QE (and sometimes just not showing anything at all). I suspect kext issues but not sure how to get it stable.What i did was installed the 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel and Boot.EFI V8 then booted in and moved NV* and GeF* from the extensions directory to ensure no kexts were there before putting NVinject.kext in extensions followed by an install of the NVinstaller 4.2. Any assistance would be great. Oh and all permissions are correct.

To Zaap. If possible, can you provide some assistance in the steps you had to do to get your graphics card working properly (kext hacks etc).

I assume you have a fully supported card?

I've done it two ways, using a 6800GT, 7300GT and 8600GT on different installs. First, I downloaded NVinject 0.2.1 and 'easy install NVinject'. (The easy-install is optional, it just does all the right kext permission-setting for you and saves a few steps in the terminal.) Then I followed JustForKix's guide here.

The second way, I installed from Leo4All v3 and checked the NVidia kexts. (Or use Invisables to install from the Leo disk). On first boot, no QE/CI/res until I ran Apple's Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. With the NVidia kexts installed from Leo4All, the setup will pass the installer's inspection and install the vanilla kexts, and on reboot, full QE/CI/res is enabled.

Both methods have worked perfectly for me.