Asrock Wolfdale 1333-d667 R2.0

Bob Smithy

14 posts in this topic

Hardware

Asrock Wolfdale 1333-d667 R2.0

( has Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 built in but I installed an ASUS 8500GT Silent Magic 512 Megabyte video card )

2 X Hitachi Deskstar 500 gigabyte SATA 2 hard drives

Samsung SH-S203B/BEBN SATA DVD-Writer

No Floppy Drive

This motherboard does not support AHCI since it has the basic Intel ICH7 southbridge!!!!

Installation Method:

1)I installed Windows XP on one drive. I then updated the motherboard bios using this modified downloaded one called "Wolfdale1333_D667_1.30_mod.zip" in DOS using the AFUDOS.EXE utility. This enables motherboard support for dual core. I had to use a bootable USB key with the AFUDOS.exe file that I formatted using USB-KEY-Formatter_SP27608.exe and loaded iwth Win98 bootup files since I don't have a floppy drive.

2)Iinstalled OSx on the second drive using "Leo 4 All V3 10.5.2 for AMD/Intel SSE2/SSE3" , with only "Kernel 9.2.0" and chipset "ICHx-Fixed-IOATA" selected. Seems to work with either GUID or MBR partitioning. The main hard drive was formatted as extended-journalled, and the second as extended. This took multiple times since I kept getting corrupt disk errors which apparently is common despite multiple times reburning the DVD at 1X speed. The fresh install had basic video and no audio, but networking and DVD drive was working.

3)Downloaded and installed azalea music kext ( AzaliaAudio[1]pkg.zip ) since the linux dumps didn't seem to work for the REaltek ALC888 audio chip.

4)Got video card working properly with "NV_InstallerV_41.pkg" . You must do this before you install programs like Photoshop otherwise the Photoshop won't install.

5)Totally failed at dual booting with chain0 and Windows, and had to repartition both drives and repeat the previous 4 steps, except this time I just installed OSx.

6)Next possible steps: a)use a program like Super Duper to clone my main hard drive to my second hard drive and make it bootable in case of emergency

;) install VMWare Fusion in OSx and use that to install a Windows VM installation

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

i got it also working after patching the bios to modded bios v1.5.

You also can do the 10.5.5 combo update like described from netkas.

I had to do the installation process twice to get it work.

Do not format the volume after the first installation.

The first installation will not boot.

Install it a second time, over the first installation, then it works.

It took me a lot of installtions to figure that out.

Because after every insallation that didn't work i formatted the volume.

Anybody an idea to fix this issue?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i did it!! finally install JAS 10.5.4 with my Asrock Wolfdale 1333 Rev 2.0, but it only works with USB keyboard, a very poor Screen resolution (1024 x 768) and i have no audio (my mother comes with the ALC662)

Can someone help me?

I tried the Taruga and 2 txt dumps and I get the volume controller but no Sound

Thanks in advance

Pedro

Wolfdale 1333-667 R2.0

Leo4All 10.5.2 V3

Combo update 10.5.5 (Netkas)

Motherboard

Manufacturer: AsRock

Motherboard Model: Wolfdale 1333-667 R2.0

Chipset: Intel 945GC A2, needs ICHx chipset patch from DVD.

BIOS Version: (BIOS from Wolfdale 1333-667 R1.0) V1.5 modded BIOS by Kabyl. Thank you!

BIOS setup options: Default + Speedstep

Audio: Works with AzaliaAudio from DVD.

LAN: OOB

SATA & IDE: OOB (IDE DVD + 2 SATA HD, one for XP one for OSX)

Processor

Processor Model: E5200

Speed: 2,5 GHz running @ 3GHz

Video Card

What type of card: Integrated

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Board Manufacturer: AsRock onboard

Patches used: None! Works OOB

Working at 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz

Note: Before using 10.5.5 combo update save all .kext files for GMA950 and framebuffer.

Reinstall them after updating to have all resolutions.

PS2 only works with patch (I think i used ps2nubs).

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 7 installed in VMWare fusion program:

I just installed Windows 7 Build 6801 in VMWare Fusion.I chose "Windows XP" and "custom", not "automatic", settings to get it installed. After it installed I installed VMWare tools, and changed the RAM used from 500 megs to 1Gigabyte, since my system has 2 gigs of RAM, and added some of the OSX folders via the plus sign on the bottom left of the VMWare settings menu. I then was able to access these folders from my desktop in Windows 7 by adding a shortcut on the desktop with the target address of "\\.host\Shared Folders" (make sure you include the quotations). Internet was working once I used the VMWare Fusion network setting of "Connect Directly to the physical network (Bridged)" setting and rebooted. Sound worked once I connected to Windows Update to add the sound card within "Device Manager" inside of Windows 7. The audio is jumpy and not great though. Make sure you take VMWare snapshots at each stage since quite often the Windows 7 will crash within and it saves you a bit of time if you can revert to a saved snapshot at a later stage.

• 5 months later...
Wolfdale 1333-667 R2.0

Leo4All 10.5.2 V3

Combo update 10.5.5 (Netkas)

Motherboard

Manufacturer: AsRock

Motherboard Model: Wolfdale 1333-667 R2.0

Chipset: Intel 945GC A2, needs ICHx chipset patch from DVD.

BIOS Version: (BIOS from Wolfdale 1333-667 R1.0) V1.5 modded BIOS by Kabyl. Thank you!

BIOS setup options: Default + Speedstep

Audio: Works with AzaliaAudio from DVD.

LAN: OOB

SATA & IDE: OOB (IDE DVD + 2 SATA HD, one for XP one for OSX)

Processor

Processor Model: E5200

Speed: 2,5 GHz running @ 3GHz

Video Card

What type of card: Integrated

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Board Manufacturer: AsRock onboard

Patches used: None! Works OOB

Working at 1920x1200 @ 60 Hz

Note: Before using 10.5.5 combo update save all .kext files for GMA950 and framebuffer.

Reinstall them after updating to have all resolutions.

PS2 only works with patch (I think i used ps2nubs).

Hello,

I have the same Motherboard (patched) and want to proceed to 10.5.5 installation

Two question related to your installation :

which kernel did you use ?

what is framebuffer in the GMA950 trick for uprgrade you mentionned.

Regards,

• 5 months later...

Oct. 11,2009 Update I decided to install a dual boot of Windows 7 and OSX:

Step 1:

Bios settings:

i enabled "no memory execute protection" and enabled "acpi hpet" , and disabled speedstep. If you don't do this you'll need the cpus=1 fix when you install OSX so make sure you do this first. I also enabled the onboard video since I had been using my NVIDIA video card previously and wanted to try the install without it. I plugged my monitor into the normal VGA plug instead.

Step 2:

I rebooted with the IDeneb 1.4 OSX DVD in the drive and used the DriveUtility to reformat my main hard drive into two partitions - the 1rst partition as FAT32 for the future Windows 7 installation, and the second partition for OSX, using the MBR option (not GUID). I then installed OSX to the second partition checking off only:

"ICHx-Fixed-IOATA"

*GMA 950" (for built in motherboard video )

"REaltek 8080" ( for ethernet )

"cpus=1 Fix" (only if your bios isn't set up properly with the modded bios and proper settings)

"PS2 keyboard fix"

"Azalia Audio" ( I didn't check this off since I have Logitech USB speakers )

I didn't check off any kernels so that the vanilla kernel would be automatically used.

Step 3

OSX rebooted OK iand I installed support for my NVIDIA 8500GT card using "9f9 installer" , replugged the VGA cable into my video card plug and rebooted again.

I enabled Quartz using OSX Tools. Everything was now working including sound, ethernet with no kernel panics or freezes.

Step 4

Reboot with the Windows 7 DVD in the drive, install Windows 7 to the first partition on the hard drive, formatting it to NTSC at the same time.

Step 5

After Windows 7 is installed, download and install Easy BCD 1.7.2 in Windows 7. Within the program click the Add/Remove Entries button, then click the MAC tab, then choose the generic x86 PC type, then cllick the "Add Entry" button

Step 6

You now have a dual boot of Windows 7 and OSX 10.5.5 ( IDeneb 1.4 ) and you can choose either one at boot up. Easy BCD modifies the boot entries that are in a separate little partition that Windows 7 created/

Step 7

I decided to create a shared FAT32 partition that both Operating Systems could share, so I shrunk the Windows 7 partition by right clicking "Computer" then selecting MANAGE, then selecting DISK MANAGEMENT then shrinking my "C" drive and assigning it a letter.

Oct 18,2009

Backed up my system kexts and kernel using OSX Tools, then downloaded and installed the 10.5.7 combo update that I downloaded directly from Apple. I deleted the seatbelt kext afterward from S/L/E and applied the old one afterward using Kexthelper. Everything seems to be working ok

• 2 months later...
Oct 18,2009

Backed up my system kexts and kernel using OSX Tools, then downloaded and installed the 10.5.7 combo update that I downloaded directly from Apple. I deleted the seatbelt kext afterward from S/L/E and applied the old one afterward using Kexthelper. Everything seems to be working ok

Hello Bob,

I share the same MoBo for my OSX86 config and wonder if a SnowLeopard could be working ? Did you made a try for the upgrade to SL ?

Hi there:

No I didn't try it, not sure if it would work, but I don't feel like trying since the ideneb install method woroked so well. Another thing I didn't mention is that my mobo tends to get memory dumps whether in Windows or OSX, and the memory diagnostic test shows the memory is ok. I slowed the memory down in the bios to the lowest setting, and I hardly ever get any memory dumps now. I'm not sure if anyone else besides me is getting this problem.

• 2 months later...

I'm still stuck with the modded BIOS . It comes in a .50 file extension with an MD5 code. I tried to install ideneb Lite edition version 1.6 and it installed ok then I come to the white screen with the apple logo where it gets stuck whenever I boot the comp. I've tried flashing the new 1.5 unmodded BIOS from Asrock and it still does not work.

In verbose it ends with

MAC framework successfully initialised.

Using 16384 buffer headers and 4096 cluster 10 buffer headers.

What should I do next to resolve this problem?