Building my own System for under 500

5 posts in this topic

This going be for parts only at ncix.com

I want build a working system for around or even under 500 that runs smooth for internet word processing and iphone sdk development and maybe World of Warcraft?

Whats the catch? Want to make sure everything compatible like buying a mac from the mac store.

If anyone is willing make me a list I would be very thankful.

I want build a working system for around or even under 500 that runs smooth for internet word processing and iphone sdk development and maybe World of Warcraft?

Whats the catch? Want to make sure everything compatible like buying a mac from the mac store.

Check my specs in my sig. I just bought the Gigabyte GA-P35-S3L yesterday at Fry's for $90 and LAN/Audio/AHCI and USB all work out of the box on Kaly 10.5.2 installer with vanilla 9.2 kernel. Can't ask for much more than that :) I'm running my C2Q Q6600 on it at 1066 FSB, but the mobo supports many less expensive cpu setups down to 800 FSB.

Only thing I need to look into is ACPI Sleep/Shutdown don't work yet (very simple kext replacement from what I understand). I need to manually power off my PC, but that's not really a big deal, and I don't use sleep function much anyway as I often have torrents downloading or seeding. When I did test sleep, it would enter sleep but not resume. I have read that even switching the USB headers on the mobo have worked for some. Again, I don't really use sleep, so I haven't messed with it yet.

Overall, this is my best hackintosh build yet, and I've done 3 so far. This system is still new, but anything truly problematic has yet to pop up, and overall this rig is pretty damned stable and fast.

To get under $500 you might consider going with an mATX board- I had very good success with the Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (there is a tutorial thread on this available). Everything can be made to work (restart, shutdown, sleep). The EVGA 7300gt 256mb PCIe graphics is also inexpensive at NCIX and probably good enough for WoW. The main catch is that you will need to dig into posts on this board to make sure you know what you are getting into and dealing with issues that come up.

To get under $500 you might consider going with an mATX board- I had very good success with the Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (there is a tutorial thread on this available). Everything can be made to work (restart, shutdown, sleep). The EVGA 7300gt 256mb PCIe graphics is also inexpensive at NCIX and probably good enough for WoW. The main catch is that you will need to dig into posts on this board to make sure you know what you are getting into and dealing with issues that come up.

I had a pretty good experience with an intel 945G based system. In fact, I am still running it as a secondary system on Kalyway 10.5.3 with the 9.3 modbin kernel. I had to delete/reregister the IOUSBControllerFamily.kext file to get working USB drives, and it had the blasted ADI 1981HD audio codec, so I never got working sound without need of a 3rd party solution. YMMV on this issue, as I have heard of a few success stories on adi 1981HD audio.

If you are looking to go truly low-budget, it's a great way to go. I would definitely check your audio setup in advance like agrajag mentions. That will be your major caveat on a 945G system. Also, no vanilla kernel w/o a C2D cpu, but the Modbin kernel works flawlessly on my P4 541 cpu, even supports sleep/resume/shutdown without a hitch ;)

Consider the Intel DG31PR- it's about $80 CAD on your source site. It's a very solid performer, extremely OSX compatible, virtually everything works OOB. Just built a system with it that really impresses me for being just as speedy as a system with twice the specs and cost.

A dual core Pentium 2200 Allendale would make an excellent and fairly cheap processor, or step up to a Core2Duo 4600.

As for vid cards, check the hardware compatibility list- I wouldn't recommend anything that doesn't support QE/CI and all resolutions.