Need some advice for USB wireless adapters

weezerisrock

8 posts in this topic

I am running the Kalyway OSX 10.5.2 on my HP/Compaq NC6320

Everything is working except my wireless and onboard ethernet.

I've checked the HCL from the wiki but I can't seem to locate any cards at stores around my area. My work is paying for the network card so I have to be able to purchase this locally. Unfortunately that limits my choices to PCClub, Circuit City, OfficeMax or Depot and Best Buy. Does anyone have any recommendations on a card I could purchase from one of these places?

The HCL mentions the Belkin Wireless G USB. Is that this one per chance?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099392876384

The reason I need the correct model up front is, since my work is paying for the USB wireless adapter, I can't just go buy something and return it if it doesn't work, I can maybe do that once, but more than that, I start getting glares and frowns from the finance dept. So I need to be sure of what to buy.

If anyone can give me some insight on what I should purchase I would so greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, while I appreciate your advice I am unable to purchase from ebay. Since this is a work related purchase it is going to have to be from a retail store, for receipts and such. If I used a company card on ebay I would be flayed alive. lol.

Any other suggestions?

Maybe you should use the company card at an Apple store. I can't believe a company would have a problem with buying something from ebay but they have no problem with a Kalyway installation. It's like one of those "What's wrong with this picture?" puzzles.

At any rate, there are some Belkin USB adapters that are highly recommended by some people here. You'll have to search around.

Thank you, I think I saw some Belkin's at our local office depot. Unfortunately for me, the nearest Apple store is around two hours away :P

And while my section of work (the IT dept.) knows what I am doing and is ok with it, (they would also be ok with an ebay purchase I'm sure) the people who pay the bills do not, and probably would not approve. Although, I don't think they would even understand if I showed them the laptop lol.

Thanks for your response.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for the reply, while I appreciate your advice I am unable to purchase from ebay. Since this is a work related purchase it is going to have to be from a retail store, for receipts and such. If I used a company card on ebay I would be flayed alive. lol.

Any other suggestions?

I also have Kalyway 10.5.2, which I've since upgraded with the Kalyway combo update to 10.5.3.

The 10.5.2 was the most stable install I've ever had, but I needed to upgrade to use the Brother printer drivers.

In any case, I think this USB wireless below will do nicely for you - works great and a good price, and you can use a company credit card at microcenter without raising any eyebrows:

1. The Trendnet TEW-424UB Wireless USB 2.0 adapter uses the RTL8187B_WLAN_Adapter drivers, available here:

ftp://152.104.238.19/cn/wlan/87B_Mac10.4_v1117.zip

I got the dongle on sale at MicroCenter for $8.99 after rebate:

(Go to microcenter.com and search for Trendnet USB - you'll see it in the list.)

Hope it works for you. It works great for me and seems pretty fast.