Share your knowledge...

davejones

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Can you please help me out and answer the following questions for me:

Is it ok to keep booting my Hackintosh with the "-s" command on the EFI v.80 boot menu? The reason I ask is because this is the only way I can get my sound card to work & stay after each reboot (otherwise it always disappears).

What exactly does the "-s" do & are there any disadvantages or negative effects of always booting with it?

Lastly, is there anyway to boot with it enabled permanently (without me having to press F8 & type "-s" at each boot up?)

Cheers guys,

davejones

Thanks my_buck & Krazubu,

@ my_buck

I have tried you your suggestion, but even after clearing all the relevant caches via Onyx (1.9.5) the result is still the same. After a reboot, I lose all audio (including entries in System Profiler), unless I boot with the "-s" command (but I have to keep typing exit everytime after mention of a Firewire error that is defaulting to full speed)???

@ Krazubu

I agree with what you say in theory, but, unfortunately in practice it still only works with the booting with the "-s" command. I even edited a a script to clear the relevant caches (see below):

#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/Cache

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions.mkext

sudo rm -R /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kernelcaches

echo "Done !"

I even tried it with and without AppleHDA.kext at the end! Followed by a Disk Utility "Repair Disk Permissions", but the result is still the same everytime?...

Any ideas... BTW I appreciate all your advise.

Cheers guys,

davejones

• 3 weeks later...