HP Pavillion DV2530ea 104 unsuported network device HELP!

phenom5886

4 posts in this topic

Hi guys, im sure this topic has been covered before from the reading I have done but they have all been about the DV6000 and DV9000 series. Now ive attempted to fit the dell mini-pci wireless card so that I can use wireless in Leopard X86 but on boot I get the 104 unsupported network device error. I am aware of the edited bios version available for the 6000 and 9000 series but wondering if there is one for my model? Current bios version is F.25 on my laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers. ;)

Unfortunely for you, this is well know HP problem.

The HP laptop bios is blocked against generic wifi cards, because Hp wants that you buy to they an "HP approved" card, a expensive one.

When I had a NX6110 laptop, I made that the Intel 2200bg work. I think that the method can be used with other cards.

You need to change some codes in the wifi mini pci card eeprom

I'm so beginner and amateur in PC stuff, But I dare to make a mini guide based on the contributions of many people and my personal experience.

First off if you don't have linux installed you will need to go to www.knoppix.org and download KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso, then burn the cd

Download the ipw2200.tar.gz http://www.geocities.com/sonyirclib/ipw2200.tar.gz

and save it to your local drive (probably C:) - You will be able to access it later in Linux Knoppix.

Now, you have 2 options:

1.- Have a mini PCI card that actually work in a HP laptop (aprroved by HP)

2.- Have another brand laptop with mini pci port and make the procedure in it.

If you have the mini PCI card HP approved:

A.- You need to install it and turn on the laptop and go to BIOS. You must to enable the WLAN function in the devices setup menu. Save the changes and exit.

With the Knoppix bot on you cd device and the HP appoved mini PCI inserted, turn on the laptop.

If you have another laptop, ignore the A step

When you see the boot:_ line , change HP approved card by that the you want change the eeprom then press enter. Knoppix will autodetect the card & the bios wont complain.

B.- Once knoppix has booted:

Click on the penguin on the taskbar and select "Root Shell", then the following command (from now on any line that begins with a # is a command to be typed at the Root prompt:

#iwconfig

You will get a list of ethernet adapters, eth0, eth1 etc. The wireless one should be quite obvious from the text displayed after it with all the wireless parameters!

#ethtool -e ethX

Obviously replace the 'X' with the index of your wireless card you found above.

You will get a hex dump of the 256 bytes of EEPROM data.

This data must NO be only zeros.

If you have only zeros, maybe you omited some step.

Note: There is nothing dangerous in the above steps at all.

C.- If you want to writing to your EEPROM (You can seriously screw your card up so be careful ):

#tar xvzf /mnt/hda1/ipw2200.tar.gz

#cd ipw2200-1.0.3

#sh unload

#sh load

Now all that you need to do is write to the eeprom. If your card is from Europe:

#ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0x8 value 0xf6

#ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0x9 value 0x12

#ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0xa value 0x3c

#ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0xb value 0x10

If it is from the US:

ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0x8 value 0xf5

ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0x9 value 0x12

ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0xa value 0x3c

ethtool -E eth0 magic 0x2200 offset 0xb value 0x10

N.B. the -E must be uppercase for writing to work.

D.- Reboot your pc and install the card drivers.

This is the original threat HP forum

Good luck

• 1 year later...
Hi guys, im sure this topic has been covered before from the reading I have done but they have all been about the DV6000 and DV9000 series. Now ive attempted to fit the dell mini-pci wireless card so that I can use wireless in Leopard X86 but on boot I get the 104 unsupported network device error. I am aware of the edited bios version available for the 6000 and 9000 series but wondering if there is one for my model? Current bios version is F.25 on my laptop.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers. ;)

I'm having this issue too. Do you know where the edited bios version are? for 6000 series?

Ed

I'm having this issue too. Do you know where the edited bios version are? for 6000 series?

Ed

There's another thread with a number of unlocked bioses - perhaps yours is in it?

Perhaps Here?

Alternatively, I've posted in another thread a howto for adding your card into the whitelist yourself if you have an Insyde bios found on newer models... at this thread.