**SOLVED** Problems with 8600GTS.

matchboxmatt

4 posts in this topic

This is my second time installing Kalyway 10.5.2 onto my Vista/Mac dualboot. The first time around, I somehow magically got a perfect installation with this card, but a botched installation of Final Cut Studio left my system in rambles. So now, I'm trying to pick up the pieces, but I can't seem to repeat the success.

What happens is that Mac OS X itself installs flawlessly. When it boots up for the first time, though, it's stuck at 1024x768 (my monitor is 1680x1050) and it says my card isn't Quartz Extreme capable. I usually then do something, reboot, and then get a black screen after the grey Apple loading screen.

In my first installation, I remember using NVinject 2.1, Leopard Graphics Update 1.0, and modifying the device IDs of the GeForce.kext and all the NV related kexts. However, trying it out now, and having all these installers thrown around (NVinstall v41, Punk92 v.3 Beta), I have no idea where to begin.

Has anyone else had a working installation, or atleast know the precise steps I would need to take to get an 8600GTS working in 10.5.2?

PC specs, for fun:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R

Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz

PNY 8600GTS 256MB

2GB DDR2-800 RAM

-----------------------------------------------------

After trying several driver solutions from NVinject, NVInstall v41, and insanelymac Punk92, I finally found out that the solution is really simple.

I used NVInstall v1 (which is still available for download here: http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20) on a clean install of Kalyway 10.5.2, and it fixed everything. According to the installer, it contains NVinject 2.0, and System Profiler says that the graphics driver version is 1.5.26.7.

I hope that this helps anyone else who has had a rough time with the 8600GTS. After two days straight of messing with kexts, it's kind of funny to find that the solution was already created.

**Note: I did not install the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0. I do not know how it will affect the patch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 10.5.1 (Kalyway) updated to 10.5.2 (Kalyway Combo update) + Leopard Graphics Update 1.0.

NVInstall v41 worked fine for my 8600GTS by Point of view.

NOTE: If you have blue screen after resolution change or refresh just switch to another DVI port.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone im pretty new in this topic also in this hackintosh stuff. I never use mac even in my life i am completly confused. can somebody explain me simply please

I have geforce 8600GTS i manange to install osx kalway 10.5.1 yesterday perfectly eveything was fine but my graphic card wasnt working properly just 1024x768 so i start to research in this forum and find one topic it says install NVinject and than NVkush i do this than i restart big apple logo comes to screen with gray color and computer stucs in this screen i have no idea what to do can somebody explain me very easly i dont know what all these kexts and stuff pls i want to learn but my computer not working now