Beware 10.5.3 Upgraders

3 posts in this topic

Users of OSx86 machines beware of upgrading to 10.5.3 because it may kill your machine. Following the instructions posted for 10.5.2 didn't work. Machine went dark with the reboot advise in all the languages. My machine is pretty close to a Mac with the following specs:

Intel C2D 1.86Ghz

2GB 667Mhz DDRII

250GB HDD SATA

Superdrive (Pioneer DVR) as seen by Leopard

GMA 950 (original kext) 64MB Fixed

Asrock Conroe945

10.5.2 went well but 10.5.3 didn't even finish before it died. I have seen this before when I tried to re-run 10.5.2 after having issues with Safari. You may need to re-install the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext into the /Systems/Library/Extensions/ folder before you begin the update to have it go fully. And then remove it and edit the startup script before you reboot. I re-installed 10.5 from scratch and updated to 10.5.2 without issues. Noting that after 10.5.2 you now must remove the AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext or the system will hang. I've installed Windows now because I've bought a 24inch iMac and won't have these issues again.

I've started an internet savings account I will one day empty on a nice shiny Mac :D it is just easier really, isn't it..

Using Apple software update to 10.5.3 bricked any machine I tried it with (all on default kernels). Time Machine to the rescue! I only wanted 10.5.3 for the Mail<>google mail sychronisation feature but I can live without it.

I've started an internet savings account I will one day empty on a nice shiny Mac ;) it is just easier really, isn't it..

Using Apple software update to 10.5.3 bricked any machine I tried it with (all on default kernels). Time Machine to the rescue! I only wanted 10.5.3 for the Mail<>google mail sychronisation feature but I can live without it.

Well here is a good solution for you: Attach another HDD to your computer using the Terminal send all your files to that volume and re-install your OS and then use 10.5.3. You need to install it via dmg because you need to modify the startup script. But for some reason not having AppleIntelCPUManagement.kext crashes the install. Even after installing 10.5.2 with the instructions try installing it again and see your comp crash. I got the 24inch iMac 2.16Ghz,128MB Nv7300GT, 250GB, 1GB Memory, AP, BT, DVD+/-RW for $1398 Cdn with taxes. Buy refurbished, new ones are only $100 more so its a good deal. And you still get the warranty. Its a good idea to purchase the 2yr warranty plan though just in case. I got the 3rd generation white iMac, I'm not a big fan of the aluminum ones.

As for OSx86 its a cool project that makes people salivate about owning a real Mac... When I installed it on my setup I only used to modded kexts: AppleACPIPlatform+AppleSMBIOS, and added two more dsmos+AppleAzalia audio. 4 kexts thats all I need to get the system to work.