time/clock issue with triple boot

6 posts in this topic

So I have a triple booting machine now with 10.5.2 | XP | PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniMe.

My issue is that none of the 3 OS's can seem to agree on the correct time?? I really don't know what to configure or change so any ideas (or solutions) are welcome! Thanks.

The biggest problem is likely to be UTC vs. local time. Windows insists on storing the time in the hardware clock in local time, MacOS insists on storing the time in the hardware clock as UTC (aka GMT -- the time in Greenwich, England, unadjusted for daylight saving time), and Linux can do either. AFAIK, the best solution is to adjust Windows to use UTC. This is officially unsupported, but check here for instructions on doing it. You'll then need to set your hardware clock (via the BIOS or various utilities in any of the OSes) to UTC. Depending on your installation options, you may also need to reconfigure Linux to interpret the hardware clock as using UTC.

When I tried this, I found that Windows' time was off by one hour. Since I don't use Windows much, I haven't looked into this issue in more detail, but my guess is it's a daylight saving time issue in how it interprets UTC vs. local time. You might be able to fudge it by telling Windows you're in a time zone other than the one you're actually in.

So I have a triple booting machine now with 10.5.2 | XP | PCLinuxOS 2008 MiniMe.

My issue is that none of the 3 OS's can seem to agree on the correct time?? I really don't know what to configure or change so any ideas (or solutions) are welcome! Thanks.

Since OS X synchronizes its time over the web when it boots, the simplest solution is to just tell your other OSs to do the same thing.

Network Time Protocol runs in Win and Linux, and serves the purpose for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol

Well, here's what I did:

I had the Mac set with the correct time (NTP), so I rebooted into Windows and disabled the NTP feature and then set it to the incorrect timezone intentionally, and the the time was right. So far, so good. Then I went into PC Linux OS and the time was incorrect so I messed with the settings (and yes, also disabled NTP) to where it too had the correct time zone and the correct time. If either Linux or Windows syncs via NTP, the other OS will be off.

My experience with it says that l should let the Mac control the hardware clock and then the 2 other OSes are just tweaked to appear correct but don't report the correct timezone. That's all for now.