Booting OS X Disk Issues [Dell Inspiron 1720]

10 posts in this topic

Hey, I am the verge of hurling my laptop across the room; for some reason, all of my disks I burn: Kalyway and Leo4AllV3 have this little {censored} of a problem:

v58izr.jpg

(this guy is using a Insprion 1520)

I don't know whats causing it, if someone can help, that would be great. Also something to add, what's really weird is that the older Kalyway release 10.5.1 used to work, I got it installed and everything. But now that also has the exact same problem, it's very strange, but I'm suspecting BIOS settings. I've also tried lots of different Kernel Flags like: cpus=1 -v (this is what I always use), platform=X86PC, NOIOAPIC and etc...

I have burnt the disk 3 times on the lowest settings and everything.

Also if someone using a Dell Inspiron 1720 and has Kalyway or Leo4AllV3 working, please tell my your BIOS settings so I can match them up!

Cheers, Sam.

Hey, I am the verge of hurling my laptop across the room; for some reason, all of my disks I burn: Kalyway and Leo4AllV3 have this little {censored} of a problem:

v58izr.jpg

I don't know whats causing it, if someone can help, that would be great. Also something to add, what's really weird is that the older Kalyway release 10.5.1 used to work, I got it installed and everything. But now that also has the exact same problem, it's very strange, but I'm suspecting BIOS settings. I've also tried lots of different Kernel Flags like: cpus=1 -v (this is what I always use), platform=X86PC, NOIOAPIC and etc...

Also if someone using a Dell Inspiron 1720 and has Kalyway or Leo4AllV3 working, please tell my your BIOS settings so I can match them up!

Cheers, Sam.

Use iATKOS v1 r2 or rs3 without the bad bios patch. Set your hard drive to ATA.

Kristoff went to the trouble of posting this to help you avoid the frustration might want to at least look at it.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=79526

Ok, I'm downloading that now, but just a question, can I install OS X onto an external drive using another computer and then load up OS X from the external drive and run it on my laptop?

My guess is not. I doubt it would install the right kext. Why not just install on an external drive on the 1720?

For some strange reason, the iAtkos v2 disk doesn't install anything, I have been using an external drive on the lappy, and All it seems to do is make empty files on it. Right now I am installing Leo4AllV3 onto the drive using another computer, since this one has the IOAPIC error.

And what is really weird is that if I use VMware on the lappy, it can boot up the installer! And the laptop can get that far!

The only thing I can think of is that when I updated the BIOS, something changed and now I can't run some of the disks, because before I could run Kalyway disks and install them!

What bio rev do you use?

For some strange reason, the iAtkos v2 disk doesn't install anything, I have been using an external drive on the lappy, and All it seems to do is make empty files on it. Right now I am installing Leo4AllV3 onto the drive using another computer, since this one has the IOAPIC error.

And what is really weird is that if I use VMware on the lappy, it can boot up the installer! And the laptop can get that far!

The only thing I can think of is that when I updated the BIOS, something changed and now I can't run some of the disks, because before I could run Kalyway disks and install them!

What bio rev do you use?

I have Bios ver A06. Dell doesn't list it on there website at all anymore.

• 1 month later...

Sam,

I'm really hoping you subscribed to this thread and will see this - I am about to take delivery of an Inspiron 1720 (with a T9300, 4GB RAM, the upgraded 1920x1200 screen and a 200GB 7200RPM HDD) and I am very much hoping to get Leopard 10.5 installed on it - did you manage to get it working in the end?

If so, any chance you could either let me know what distro you used (kalyway, iATKOS etc), what patches or hacks you had to do/install and how you got around the problems you were having?

I've given up trying to install on my new workstation PC as I just don't think Leopard likes Quad core CPU's (I have a Q9450 )- or maybe it's the 9600GT it doesn't like. Or perhaps it's the 3 SATA HDDs and one SATA DVD drive I have which are not running in AHCI (because if change to AHCI I then can't boot Vista at all).... the list goes on!!

I am really hoping I could get it going on the 1720 as I want to do iPhone development so any help you can offer would be really appreciated!

Mike

EDIT: Oops, managed to completely miss the post a bit above with the link to the guide for the 1700/1720 so I will give that a go - would still love to hear whether you had success or not though.

• 1 year later...

v58izr.jpg

Cheers, Sam.

ME: ITS -v cpus=1 not cpus=1 -v and it needs to be ata i used itakos v 1.0i R2