Which PC for OSx86?

10 posts in this topic

Hi,

After successfully running Kalyway's OSX86 10.4.10 on my HP Pavilion ze2251 laptop I have been in a couple of computer stores looking for an Intel Core2Quad 2.4ghz Q6600 PC to buy for to run OSX86.

I went into PC World and seen a Packard Bell 2414 Intel Core2Quad Q6600 for £400. On the Packard Bell site it says that the motherboard is LGA775, the graphics card is nVidia GeForce 7050 and the soundcard is onboard Realtek ALC888.....Would this PC be any good?

I also seen another PC which is HP Pavilion Elite M9165.UK-a PC at £600. The specs on this machine are Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4ghz, Chipset is Intel G33 express. Hard Disk controller is SATA 3G and SATA DVD RAM and Double Layer Lightscibe technology. The video adapter is nVidia GeForce 8500 GT TurboCache. The audio is Intel High Definition Audio 7.1

Which of those two machines will OSX86 work successfully on? I don't really want to build one as I was told by one of the assistants at PC World that it would cost me more if I was to build one.

Please advise

Artmuzz

First of all, building your own PC saves you money, not the other way around. The downside is you must have some knowledge on PC components.

Now, reading the specs you posted I assume both of those PCs come with at least 1GB (the second one probably 2GB) of RAM, in which case both are good enough to run OSx86, and they're mainstream enough for compatibility's sake. If I had to make the choice, I'd personally buy the second one mainly due to the onboard HD audio codec and the graphics card - the 7050 is simply too old for anyone to buy it nowadays, and while the 8500 is not your best choice, it's still a relatively new and good gfx card.

Hope I helped :)

Thanks for the reply

Both computers come with 3GB memory.

I asked one of the assistants at PC World that I would like to build my own PC but he told me that it would be cheaper to buy a prebuilt machine rather than build one myself.

I'm excited to know that OSX86 will work on both machines. I was going to buy a Mac Pro but its too expensive and I need a faster mac than my 2gh Core 2 Duo iMac that I proudly own.

Will a Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz hackintosh be more powerful and faster than my iMac Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz?

Artmuzz

I asked one of the assistants at PC World that I would like to build my own PC but he told me that it would be cheaper to buy a prebuilt machine rather than build one myself.
I haven't generally found that to be the case. However, it is more convenient to buy a complete computer, that's for sure. These prices look good. Don't get the PC with GeForce 7050, get the one based on Intel G33 with the 8500. Yes, I think it will be faster than your iMac.

Hi,

I'd like to download Leopard but its quite a big download at nearly 4GB. My copy of Kalyway 10.4.10 was only 1.9GB. However, I own a legit copy of Leopard. It's the upgrade DVD I got from Apple for £5 as I bought the iMac 2 weeks before Leopard came out......I was wondering if there is patches available out there to patch my copy of Leopard to run on my PC? instead of downloading the 4GB file.

I already have software that allows me to patch OSX but I don't know where to find the patches for Leopard.

Please advise

Artmuzz