A suggestion

AndrewNZ

1 post in this topic

Can we have some sub-category organisation here? By that, I mean that there are actual steps required to achieve a working Hackintosh but the forums are at best chaotic for noobs, and even more experienced people.

So, what I'd like to see.

A section that shows what hardware doesn't work.

A section that shows what works with hacked kexts/plists etc.

A section that shows what works with no hacks.

A section that discusses installation problems only, with sub-sections devoted to particular chipsets.

A section that discusses post-installation problems only, with sub-sections devoted to particular chipsets.

A section that discusses update problems only, with sub-sections devoted to particular chipsets.

I have had a raft of PMs that emanate from desperate people who can't find the info they need to fix the problems they're facing. My reaction has been, "why don't you use search?". Why not indeed. Perhaps because it's really lame? That'd be a darn good reason I think. Let me elaborate...

I recently received a PM requesting help for an issue the sender was experiencing. I didn't have the answer so I resorted to using the search facility. Silly me. What a poxy excuse for a search engine that thing is. Truth is, it was better to go to Google. So let's either fix the fscking thing, or point people to Google instead.

When I finally got a response (1x) to my carefully crafted (following many null results) request, I got a thread with 64 pages at 50 responses per page. Now, with the best of intentions, I am not going to trawl through 3,200 posts to find out something that a half-decent engine should provide in the top 10 entries in its results.

So, again, if the search engine here is as sucky as it seems to be, why keep it? Let's get Google here instead, and the noobs, and me, can find what we need without asking the same questions in every thread and inflating each thread to twice the size it needs to be.

I don't know if any of the above is even possible with the BB software used here, but what I do know is that database programs can do this stuff without raising a sweat. InsanelyMac has become a huge resource. Perhaps it's time for the site to reflect its massive user base and adapt to deliver for its users.

Cheers,

Andy.