Making Windows the default boot

16 posts in this topic

Hi.

Is there a way to disable the OS X bootloader so that only the Windows one will appear? Or is there a way to skip it? I have made my Vista partition active and it still goes to the OS X bootloader first.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Elliott

Hi.

Is there a way to disable the OS X bootloader so that only the Windows one will appear? Or is there a way to skip it? I have made my Vista partition active and it still goes to the OS X bootloader first.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Elliott

Can you give some more info about your system? Are you running off 1 HD or 2?

I've only set up my system today, but I learned a lot in the process. As long as Vista is your active partition, it could have something to do with the boot order with NTLDR. Have you checked that out yet?

-Jeff

Can you give some more info about your system? Are you running off 1 HD or 2?

I've only set up my system today, but I learned a lot in the process. As long as Vista is your active partition, it could have something to do with the boot order with NTLDR. Have you checked that out yet?

-Jeff

I've set Vista as my active partition, but it still loads the OS X bootloader first. I don't know what the NTLDR is so, no, I haven't touched it :)

Vista completely eschewed the whole boot.ini way of doing things. Normally with Vista, to change anything bootloader-related, you'd have to use a cumbersome command line tool (bcdedit), but look for a program called EasyBCD, install it, and changing bootloader options is quite easy.

I hate to hijack, but I can't even get Vista to install. It tells me that none of the system volumes meet the criteria for an install. I have an OS X partition that is 75GB, and the NTFS partition is 75GB. No matter what I try, it will not install to the NTFS partition. I hope that I am looking something over that is very minute.

I had the same problem. One solution is to boot in iatkos (or kalyway) and make sure you can select Utilities>Terminal. From there...

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (your disk number, usually 0 for the first)

p (partition)

f 2 (your parition number, master boot record=1, guid=2)

write

yes

exit

ripped from molecularmac.com

make sure you set your partition # to your windows one

Vista completely eschewed the whole boot.ini way of doing things. Normally with Vista, to change anything bootloader-related, you'd have to use a cumbersome command line tool (bcdedit), but look for a program called EasyBCD, install it, and changing bootloader options is quite easy.

I have been using EasyBCD for a while and it was working for me, but after I installed OS X, it doesn't even start up anymore. All it says is:

post-195895-1212434170_thumb.png

I had the same problem. One solution is to boot in iatkos (or kalyway) and make sure you can select Utilities>Terminal. From there...

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 (your disk number, usually 0 for the first)

p (partition)

f 2 (your parition number, master boot record=1, guid=2)

write

yes

exit

ripped from molecularmac.com

make sure you set your partition # to your windows one

Can't you do this with a Part Magic disk?