OSx86 over clocking issues

mystar

3 posts in this topic

Hey all I am new to the OSx86 scene. I have used macs for awhile and just built my first PC using OS 10.5.2. I am however running in to an issue when I try to over clock. Whenever I set my CPU to over 3 GHz OS X will not boot. It gives the com.apple.boot.plist error. I cannot figure out why this is happening. My specs are as follows:

Asus P5GC-MX motherboard

Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200

400 GB Seagate Sata drive

1 GB crucial 667MHz ram

Anyone have any clues to why it's giving this error when I try to overclock further? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have my PC overclocked to 3.2 and higher using leopard, no problemo. I don't think the problem is with OSX. However you may not be overclocking it correctly. When you raise the clock rate, you need to also raise the vcore and watch your temps to make sure they are ok, etc.. Most people do this work using the pluthera of tools that are available under DOS, windows or linux. OSX does not have much stuff to help you verify. Though I was able to get prime95 running on OSX using Wine and I have been using that to verify that I am supplying enough vcore. However, its advisable to do this kind of work with a small windows partition that doesn't have anything important on it, using the pluthera of tools that run under windows.

If the vcore is not high enough, then you might have trouble booting, or it might boot up halfway and then keep rebooting, or it might boot up completely and issue error messages, or it might boot up completely and appear to be working but occasionally cause some wierdness you can't put your finger on. You need to make sure to give the cpu enough power to support the higher speed and then stress test the machine to make sure no errors occur. And monitor the cpu and mobo temps the whole time to make sure you aren't overheating, because in addition to getting more heat from the higher clockspeed, the higher vcore voltage also generates more heat.

Good call. After doing some research I found that when you overclock this board past a certain limit it cannot find the SATA drive. Hopefully I can find a work around for this. As far as CPU temp goes it stays at around 28 degrees celsius during idle time so I am sure it will have no problem going up a few hundred more MHz :)