Can't boot after Ubuntu install (with GRUB installed on hd0 of a GPT hd)

6 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I had a working OSX86 installation (using Kalyway 10.5.1 DVD + update) on the hard drive of my Thinkpad

Before Ubuntu installation, the hard drive was partitioned using GPT (Guid Partition Table, not MBR):

- OSX 70 gb

- DATA 125 gb

- LEODVD 5 gb

It booted directly into the OSX partition (in darwin bootloader)

1. First of all, I tried installing rEFIt onto my hard drive (rEFIt - An EFI Boot Menu and Toolkit http://refit.sourceforge.net/), which is actually designed for MacBook to multiboot without bootcamp. However, I suppose it did not work as I cannot see any load menu after boot (But I did not have more than one OS at that point)

2. Then, I shrunk the OSX (/dev/disk1s1) using diskutil and freed 20gb after the OSX partition for the Ubuntu installation

3. In the Ubuntu 8.04 installation, I created a 18gb ext3 partition and then a 2gb swap partition. And then I installed Ubuntu onto the ext3 partition

4. At the end of the installation, I have GRUB (the linux bootloader from Ubuntu's disk) installed onto the hd0 (oops... for the whole disk... instead of just for the partition)

In the boot afterwards, I can only see 1 short line of random codes, and it halts there

5. In WinXP (I can see GPT partitions in my WinXP using "GPT Mounter"), I can now only see the DATA and LEODVD partitions, but I can no longer see the OSX partition

I assume that GRUB has done something to corrupt my GPT (Guid partition table)

Is there anyway to restore it?

I really need your help!!!

(Thanks in advance!)

Please help, so that I can restore my OSX partition and

In the boot afterwards, I can only see 1 short line of random codes, and it halts there

Grub needs to read files off a grub readable partition (usually ext3) to complete its loading.

As its designed for MBR, I suspect it cannot find those files, rather than corrupting your partition table.

That one short line of codes might not be random to us, perhaps you should post it.

And I would try booting off an install DVD to see if you can access your partition that way.

I can now boot into Ubuntu through GRUB (2), and in Ubuntu 8.04, I can see the OSX partition again; However, I cannot boot into OSX86 again

Now that the MBR of this GPT hard drive has been overwritten by GRUB to boot into the Linux partition

How can I have the MBR properly overwritten by the correct MBR info of an OSX86 (10.5.2) again, so that I can see the Darwin bootloader menu to boot into OSX again?

I can now boot into Ubuntu through GRUB (2), and in Ubuntu 8.04, I can see the OSX partition again; However, I cannot boot into OSX86 again

Now that the MBR of this GPT hard drive has been overwritten by GRUB to boot into the Linux partition

How can I have the MBR properly overwritten by the correct MBR info of an OSX86 (10.5.2) again, so that I can see the Darwin bootloader menu to boot into OSX again?

Have you tried using boot_v8 from Grub to load OS X?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry606752