Final Cut Studio 2 on PC

7 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I'm buying new PC (don't have money for Mac) and in studio where I work we use Mac pro computers. I work in After effects but since my company updated Final cut studio 5.1 to FCS 2, we work in Motion 3 and that is a big problem because Motion sucks. Anyway, I have to learn working in Motion and have not enough time during worktime.

So, I would like to install JAS OSx and Final Cut Studio. Can anybody advise me what configuration I need to make it work?

Tnx

Hi, I'm currently looking to build a machine for Final Cut Studio also.

The main thing I'm undecided on is the exact motherboard to use. I'd like to stick with at least a P35 chipset.

Also I'm stumped as to the right video card.

(I currently have 10.5.2 running fine on an older Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro-SLI (939) with an AMD X2 3800+, Leadtek Nvidia 6800GT 256MB DDR3 -QE/CI after using NVinject. Final Cut runs great, heck I didn't even think this machine would work with OSX, but I want an Intel machine that can run the vanilla kernel)

Here are my tenative vital component choices:

CPU: E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz

Mobo choices:

ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35

Due to this thread, I'm adding:

GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38

Unfortunately, newegg is currently out of stock on this board- I'd like to get everything from the same source. Is there any advantage of the X38 over the P35? If so, I could get it elsewhere.

Video card:

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

Can I get away with an 8600GT, rather than an 8800? I'm assuming since my older 6800GT works ok, an 8600GT will be just fine. If not an 8600, any other suggestions? I really don't need the most powerful video card on the planet, even for Final Cut- just something that will run QE/CI with no problems, and of course, work with Final Cut.

Any thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

knewsom, (or anyone else that would know)

Also just wondering if you're able to use dual monitors with your setup, or if you know if it's possible with a good video card? Dual DVI, or combination DVI and VGA? (Using twin Samsung 22" monitors at 1680x 1050) That's another thing I'd love to have working on my Intel Mac.

I just have VGA out working with my 6800GT DVI just goes black- though it did work in mirrored mode before I patched the drivers.

Ahh well, I went ahead and ordered the following parts:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX

EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600 GT 256MB

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B

Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro

Rosewill R6426-P BK ATX Mid Tower

Subtotal was $842.88 with a few other odds and ends.

I figured I may as well go for the Q6600 and call it a day.

From what I can gather, Gigabyte boards seem to be a no-brainer. Considering how well FCS already performs on my older 939 Athlon board, I can only speculate that the above should be more than enough for my needs. Once I get everything built, I'll report back on how FCS runs, encase anyone is interested in the above spec as a reference.

Newegg delievered overnight! Built the machine yesterday! Installed 10.5.2 using Leo4all. Audio: used 889, everything else OOB.

Most everything works perfectly! (Posting this from it now)

Sleep just turns the machine off- though the system fans are still on. Shutdown does the same. After I just have to power down from the front panel. No biggie, but maybe there's a fix floating around?

I used NVinject and the usual kext edits to get my 8600GT working- both DVI and VGA (via adaptor) work great, dual monitors, CI/QE.

I followed Is8's settings for the BIOS- otherwise SATA speed was really slow.

The full 7-disk Final Cut Studio took over an hour to install, but this is pretty normal.

Final Cut/DVD Studio/Motion fly on this machine!

I installed with 2GB of RAM, and haven't yet put the second 2GB in- not sure if there's still the 4GB memory crashing problem and I actually have some work to get done with this thing pronto.

I'm amazed I have just as fast a machine as my work MacPro in my home for a fraction of the cost!

One other minor thing- this machine is virtually silent. The freezer pro makes no noise- also used a silent Evercool 120mm fan in the front, and the Rosewill PSU is very quiet as well.