USB KVM Switch issues?

9 posts in this topic

Hey there! I've been lurking around for a while now... finally got my OSX86 box working GREAT (except for one issue).

I'm using a USB KVM Switch between my OSX86 box and my Vista box. Vista doesn't have an issue with it, but my OSX box does. Seems that when I switch from one box to the other, it actually disconnects the USB Mouse and Keyboard. (I can hear Vista beep-booping and boop-beeping when I switch). If it's only for a few seconds, the OSX box is fine. If it's more than that, then the OSX box is totally locked, requiring a power-down reboot.

I figure that it has something to do with the USB being unplugged, and when it's plugged back in (well, virtually, by the KVM switch) that it doesn't realize the Keyboard/Mouse has been reconnected.

I have tried, so far:

Turning USB in the BIOS down to 1.1 instead of 2.0 -- same issue

Turning off legacy USB support in the bios -- same issue

It must be something in my *nix configuration of the USB.

Oh, and GREAT POSTS on getting my ATI 2400HD running in full CI/QE mode! *EVERYTHING* is working great on my OSX box (no mouse tearing, nothing!) and it's all thanks to the great folks here!

Now if I can get my KVM working properly.....

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my IO gear USB KVM. Except I was switching back and forth from my PowerMac to my OSX86 PC.

My PowerMac had no problems with the switching, however, my OSX86 build would lock-up if I was switched to my PowerMac for too long (minutes) then switching back to the OSX86 PC.

Using the USB Installer Fix 1.3v in http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=95789 I went through each of the kernels and matching .kext installs to find which one worked.

After trying different kernel builds and their matching .kext's, I have found the the 9.2.0 modbin kernel worked with my 10.5.2 (Leo4allv3) build and that the 9.3.0 modbin kernel in the JaS 10.5.3 update works with 10.5.3 and my IO gear USB KVM.

OSX86 PC - MB: ASUS P5N-E, CPU: E4500 OC-3.0 GHz, Video: MIS NX8800GT, Netgear PCI ethernet card, 2 SATA HDDs, 1 PATA HHD, 2 PATA DVD-RWs, JaS 10.5.3 update on top of Leo4allv3.

Oooh.. .that looks like a really good thread. I'll check it out when I get home this evening, but it seems that there is an issue with Kalyway 10.5.2 (which is what I installed)... that's a great thread!

• 4 months later...

Im having the Same issue, in 10.5.5 Using Voodoo_Beta2 it is also an IOGear... i wonder if it has something to do with IOGear? im going to return it and get an AirLink USB KVM to see if that works, but gbaughma i am also having this very same issue, it is very frustrating....

If anyone is still reading this thread i have switched to the Belkin 2-Port Flip Switch and it works great... it must be the way that the IOGear manages the constant steam of power to the USB Bus... but that is my fix for now, when i disconnect the mouse and keyboard from the OSX using the switch to windows, it even gives me a message on the screen that tells me that the mouse and keyboard are being used by another device at the moment. which is fine with me... as long as i can switch between the two i am fine... but there is my fix... Belkin Flip 2-Port USB KVM

• 2 months later...