ASUS Pundit P2-P5945GCX Barebone

10 posts in this topic

hello!

i currently own a dual g5 1.8 and want to get a new hackintosh to replace this monster..

what i need:

stability, silence, compatibility

what i don't need:

the fastest processor, the fastest graphic card

i thought of following configuration:

1) asus pundit P2-P5945GCX:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=1&...amp;modelmenu=2

Socket 775, North Bridge: Intel 945GC, South Bridge: Intel ICH7, Integrated GMA 950 (DVI), 1 x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 1 x ATA100, LAN Realtek RTL8139D, AUDIO Chipset name: ADI AD1988B Azalia 8 Channel

2) cpu:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2x 2.53GHz, 266MHz FSB, 3MB shared Cache, boxed (BX80570E7200)

3) hd:

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB 32MB SATA II (HD753LJ)

4) memory:

Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-5300U CL5 (DDR2-667) (KVR667D2N5K2/4G)

5) dvd:

ASUS DRW-1814BL hellgrau (90-D40640-UANW/-UBNW) (ATAPI, because barebone has only 1 SATA)

everything together here:

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=WL-12896

price of this config would be around 595,17 dollar

what do you think in terms of osx86-compatibility, good choice?

thanks in advance,

michael

currently installing osx.

instead of the e7200, i took a celeron 440 (2ghz, single core). ;)

but overclocked to 2,8ghz, it feels snapier than my dual g5 (so far).

lan and gfx worked out of the box.

dvd-installation was possible via atapi-port.

trying to fix sound and sleep-mode...

Hi!

your setups looks very compelling to me. However, I would put in a new E8400 CPU and hope the overclocking works. Can you overclock CPU independently from RAM?

Did you get sleep mode and sound to work?

greetings,

-xenonite-

• 2 weeks later...

time to report some news:

except of sleep-mode, everything works pefect.

i was looking for "stability, silence and compatibility". i think the pundit delivers that.

it is really silent, had no problems with compatibility (except sleep) or stability so far.

i use a celeron d440 atm, overclocked to 2,8ghz.. no problems whatsoever..

i installed kalyway 10.5.2 vanilla and later the 10.5.3 combo update - no problems.

the gma950 (graphiccard) works out of the box at 1900x1200, all usb-ports, firewire-port and mediacard-slots work..

for sound you will need the taruga 1988b v4 installer but with that, everything works.

all in all i think its quite a good barebone for hackintosh-purposes.

<cite>However, I would put in a new E8400 CPU and hope the overclocking works. Can you overclock CPU independently from RAM?</cite>

i think so.. i am no expert, but you have jumperfree overclocking, i think it raises the v-core..

my 2ghz celeron is running at 2,8ghz. but check if the e8400 is already supported. i think it "should" work but atm its not in the list of officially supported cpus at the asus-support-database.

<cite>Did you get sleep mode and sound to work?</cite>

sound yes, sleep no. i installed sleep-kernel first but i couldnt wake it up after sleep (common hackintosh-problem i heared). then i installed vanilla-kernel. instead of sleeping, the pundit reboots.. so i have to avoid sleep-mode (i set energy-settings to only power down hd and display, works fine for me..).

• 2 months later...
hello!

i currently own a dual g5 1.8 and want to get a new hackintosh to replace this monster..

what i need:

stability, silence, compatibility

what i don't need:

the fastest processor, the fastest graphic card

i thought of following configuration:

1) asus pundit P2-P5945GCX:

http://www.asus.com.tw/products.aspx?l1=1&...amp;modelmenu=2

Socket 775, North Bridge: Intel 945GC, South Bridge: Intel ICH7, Integrated GMA 950 (DVI), 1 x SATA 3.0Gb/s, 1 x ATA100, LAN Realtek RTL8139D, AUDIO Chipset name: ADI AD1988B Azalia 8 Channel

2) cpu:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2x 2.53GHz, 266MHz FSB, 3MB shared Cache, boxed (BX80570E7200)

3) hd:

Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB 32MB SATA II (HD753LJ)

4) memory:

Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-5300U CL5 (DDR2-667) (KVR667D2N5K2/4G)

5) dvd:

ASUS DRW-1814BL hellgrau (90-D40640-UANW/-UBNW) (ATAPI, because barebone has only 1 SATA)

everything together here:

http://geizhals.at/eu/?cat=WL-12896

price of this config would be around 595,17 dollar

what do you think in terms of osx86-compatibility, good choice?

thanks in advance,

michael

i have the same configuration can you please explain to me which distribution of OSX86 you used for installing the leopard ?? thanks

• 9 months later...

I do have a problem (btw i am no native speaker):

The FireWire won't work in osx. So I bought a PCI-FireWire-Controller, and that way I found out that the PCI doesn't work as well ... Does anybody have a 'driver' or kext which would make it work.

btw: I jused the iPC 10.5.6 distribution