MacBook getting returned, laptop suggestions?

6 posts in this topic

So I've been running a Hackintosh Dell for a while. Totally switcher. I'm done with Windows. Decide, hey, I want a new laptop... lets get a legal machine. Buy a MacBook. And notice that from a reasonable viewing angle, I'm seeing pixels. I can see the individual pixels on my screen. What the hell? The resolution isn't that bad. So I look it up. And now I'm finding that due to their 6-bit displays, I only see like 1/4th the colors on my brand new $1400 MacBook that my 4 year old $600 Dell laptop can display. So the screen is dithering a lot of colors, causing me to see pixels and cry quietly inside. GAH. Aren't Apple's famous for being good to graphics designers and artists?!?!

Anyways... This sucker is going back. I need a good laptop. Mobile, 3-5lbs. I'm really picky about visual quality. So it has to be a good screen. And works well with OS X. Any suggestions?

bear in mind that the Macbook is their LOW END portable computer. If the display was as high quality as their HIGH END portable computer, the only differences left between machines would be a small processor speedbump, overall form factor, and video processing hardware.

though, agreed, it's gotta be a pain in the ass.

they're dithering in space and time... you won't see the color issues unless you're looking at single color gradients really.... then you'll see a bit of color banding.

Still haven't seen an LCD screen thats better than a nice CRT for color though... unless you're talking about MAJOR money IPS panels....

and no... the laptop panels in the dells are 6 bit TN displays as well.

they ALL dither.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM.

99% of the desktop LCD panels you see are also 6 bit TN displays.

I'm not sure ANYONE even makes a 15" or smaller IPS panel anymore, sadly.

That's why the last time I needed a new monitor I went back to a good ol' CRT :P Top-of-the-line 19" that used to cost almost a thousand dollars, and I picked it up for next to nothing brand new. Yes, it's bulky and uses a lot of juice and it's hot, but you can't beat the color fidelity and support for multiple resolutions with no distortion. And black is black.

Eventually I'll go back to flat panel because there won't be any CRTs left, but by then I hope there will be some decent 8-bit displays that don't cost an arm and a leg.

There must be something better than this. Seriously, $600 Dell from 4 years ago I never saw artifacts like this.

And the MacBook Pros are using the same 6-bit screen as the normal MacBooks, so even the $500+ upgrade wont help my situation.

And sure, the average person can't tell. But I noticed as soon as I got this sucker home.

So no suggestions huh? Yeah, it looks like many of the laptop manufacturers are actually downgrading their screens like this in favor of cheaper displays.

well it's a pretty competitive market... production and material costs are rising, not to mention transport... and electronics manufacturers have been reluctant to pass on the prices to the consumer, for fear of being utterly outsold and PWND by the competition. It's a shaky stalemate as it is, and hardly ANYONE is making the best computer they CAN. Have you had a look at the alienware lineup? They're pretty customizable, perhaps there's an option for a screen that would satisfy your discerning eye.