Boots XP instead of Mac

JannesV

8 posts in this topic

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 leopard succesfully but when it reboots, it just boots into xp (i took out the DVD after reboot). I think i should get such a timeout boot thingy but i can't find it anywhere =/

CPU: AMD 3.2GHz 6400+

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT SLI

RAM: 2GB

HDD: 2 x sata 250GB 7200rpm

I installed Kalyway 10.5.2 leopard succesfully but when it reboots, it just boots into xp (i took out the DVD after reboot). I think i should get such a timeout boot thingy but i can't find it anywhere =/

CPU: AMD 3.2GHz 6400+

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT SLI

RAM: 2GB

HDD: 2 x sata 250GB 7200rpm

hmm, did you go into your bios and swap your primary hd ? unless your going to install a bootloader you will need to use your bios to swap back and forth between boots, to either xp or osx

hmm, did you go into your bios and swap your primary hd ? unless your going to install a bootloader you will need to use your bios to swap back and forth between boots, to either xp or osx

and if you have only one hd, and have some partitions in it? how can you boot? I have XP, Vista and Leopard (Leo4all_v3), but I can´t boot into Leopard... What should I do?

thanks!

You can do a couple of things (and you can find more details if you search for "dual boot") -

First step is to see what partition is active. My guess is it's your XP partition. If that's the case you have a couple of choices -

1. You can use the XP bootloader to boot between XP and OS X. Do a search for c:\chain0 and you should find out how to get the chain0 file to put in the root of your windows partition and how to edit your boot.ini files (also in the root of your windows partition) to add an entry for OS X.

2. You can use the Darwin bootloader to boot between OS X and XP. Boot using your OS X install dvd and after the language screen (before install) use terminal and then the fdisk command to set your OS X partition active. Reboot without the dvd and right after your bios loads hit F8 and you should see the Darwin menu and you can select windows or OS X to boot. To get more time you can edit the com.Apple.boot.plist file in Library/SystemConfiguration (if I recall - do a spotlight search).

SMF

This is most likely caused by formatting the drive in Disk Utility and not changing the type of partition to MBR or GPT. If you use APM which it might default to, you will not be able to boot, as APM is for PowerPCs only, you will most likely need to reinstall OSX.

First of all, thanks for the replies I am now trying them out an see if any of them works :D, and SMF, that 2nd option... when i hit F8 i'm only able to boot my DVD.. :s