Kalyway 10.5.2 on Thinkpad T41 freezes on reboot

cptsalek

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

since my T60 is in a useable state (with some issues that can be easily avoided) I decided to install Leopard on the T41 of my girlfriend (an Ubuntu upgrade to the newest release broke WLAN, Realplayer and some other things and I'm too tired to keep on messing around with Linux).

I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 install DVD. It takes some time to start up, but HW recognition seems to be fine. I formatted the disk with an GUID label (single boot). After the reboot the machine hangs at this point:

3094530_71dba7dfaecc97b288a73c3f0046d620_standard.jpg

I don't know what's happening there. The SSE3 emulator is loaded before, the machine switched to Framebuffer mode before.

Any hints on how to resolve this issue?

CptSalek

cptsalek, I have a T41 also. I've not been able to get kalyway 10.5.2 to install on it properly. My laptop will boot, but it takes forever and pauses at a different point (something about not being able to assign network interface), then finally gets to Leopard. I tried it again with a different miniPCI wifi board, same result. I've given up for the moment on it. I might try an older Tiger distro. They seemed to work better on the T41 from what I've read. Please post back if you get any further.

If your T41 has the old Cisco 802.11b card, it won't work in the latest Ubuntu because some new drivers were added that broke the old support. See here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=735532&page=3. Unfortunately, the solution only worked sporadically on my machine.

I solved the issue with my T41 by browsing the forum and reading some SSE2 threads. So the T41 really can't handle EFI. I formatted the HDD using MBR, and selected the following options in customize:

* Speedstepkernel

* IP80211Family

* wifi_Atheros

* wifi_Broadcom

* SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC

* Lastnetkassmbios

* TimeMachineFix

* Intel Memory Controller

PowerManagement.bundle is really a no go, this might have been another issue with my last install attempt.

The laptop works fine, including NIC, WLAN, except for two issues:

* No sound (simply forget what I said, everything is fine. I need to get used to the fact that SystemProfiler doesn't tell the truth...)

* Timeout during boot, reported by configd and IOKit.

@dci693: Thanks for the info. I don't really care anymore since wireless wasn't the only thing that was broken after the upgrade. And I don't like ndiswrapper anyway. And OS X performs nicely on this machine. I'll try out speedstep.app and see if it works.

I solved the issue with my T41 by browsing the forum and reading some SSE2 threads. So the T41 really can't handle EFI. I formatted the HDD using MBR, and selected the following options in customize:

* Speedstepkernel

* IP80211Family

* wifi_Atheros

* wifi_Broadcom

* SSE2_Jas1048_ACPI_APIC

* Lastnetkassmbios

* TimeMachineFix

* Intel Memory Controller

PowerManagement.bundle is really a no go, this might have been another issue with my last install attempt.

The laptop works fine, including NIC, WLAN, except for two issues:

* No sound (simply forget what I said, everything is fine. I need to get used to the fact that SystemProfiler doesn't tell the truth...)

* Timeout during boot, reported by configd and IOKit.

@dci693: Thanks for the info. I don't really care anymore since wireless wasn't the only thing that was broken after the upgrade. And I don't like ndiswrapper anyway. And OS X performs nicely on this machine. I'll try out speedstep.app and see if it works.

So, on the T41 are you still using the Cisco 802.11b card? And it works? Did you need to fiddle with kexts to get it up and running?

And as for the timeout during boot, is that related to the PCMCIA issue that you said was fixed in this forum? http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...c=28117&hl=

Did you try sleep? Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I'll be bumping an old topic with this one, but I think it's the best idea to post my problem here.

I'm trying to do a Kalyway 10.5.2 install on a T41.

I've selected exactly the same options as cptsalek did and I get a reboot loop when I try to boot.

Last thing it says is:

BSD root:disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

syncing discs... Killing all processes

continuing

done

MACH reboot

I'm not dual booting. Only one partition.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

• 6 months later...
I'll be bumping an old topic with this one, but I think it's the best idea to post my problem here.

I'm trying to do a Kalyway 10.5.2 install on a T41.

I've selected exactly the same options as cptsalek did and I get a reboot loop when I try to boot.

Last thing it says is:

BSD root:disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

syncing discs... Killing all processes

continuing

done

MACH reboot

I'm not dual booting. Only one partition.

Does anyone know a solution to this?

Hi, has anyone solved this? I'm encountering exactly the same. TIA.