Buying a Mac from Apple's web site and shipping

4 posts in this topic

Lately I have considered buying a customized Mac from Apple's web site, but I've been a little hesitant because I'm worried about shipping. Like many people, I'm at work during the day Mon-Fri when the computer is likely to arrive, so I wouldn't be home to receive it. I do live in apartment that has an office, but I'm not sure if they'd leave it there. I suppose I could have it shipped to my workplace, but I'd rather not (it just feels weird having personal stuff shipped where I work). There are no Apple stores where I live (there is a Best Buy, but they only sell the Mac Mini, MacBooks, and iMac, so if I wanted a new Mac Pro, the only option would be buying one from Apple's web site).

What kind of experience should I expect buying a Mac from Apple's web site? What shipping company do they use, and is it a hassle to receive it/pick it up if you're not home when they deliver?

I heartily recommend getting it shipped to your office, as long as your boss(es) don't get cranky about that sort of thing. Alternatively, if there's someone you trust in your apartment office, you could probably have it shipped there, too. Commercial addresses lead to more reliable deliveries on the whole because they're usually easier for the drivers to find.

If you decide to have it shipped to your apartment and you can't have someone you trust there during the day to sign for it, the hassle level may depend on the driver that covers the route your home is in. I had an awesome FedEx driver at my last place that left me her cell number when I missed a delivery that needed a signature. I called it when I got home and she swung back by at the end of her route to drop off my package. I expect that's the exception, though :thanks_speechbubble:

My wife has an order on it's way via FedEx from the Apple Store right now. I wouldn't know if that's the only shipper they use, though.