successful 10.5.2 install on ASUS A8JS with GO7700

pmorcos

8 posts in this topic

Installation leo 10.5.2 on an ASUS A8JS

Software needed:

Leo4all v 3.0

Punk92 v2.0 nvidia installer

Graphics update 1.0

All three are "readily available"... check your local search engine / torrent site

I will start with what I did... and suggest what probably would work instead

what I did

I installed leo4all with 9.2 speedstep (default), intel chip was selected from third party drivers as well as azalia audio and the laptop power addition and additional hot software (as part of the package)

NO video or ethernet drivers were chosen (std. VGA and ethernet is installed by default for the A8JS)

It was installed on a GUID partition (not MBR)

It booted (on automatic restart) fine after install to 1024x768.

I then ran v2.0 punk92 nvidia install and selected only the GO512mb (nothing else)

upon reboot the NVinjectg0.kext "could not be used" error message came up

I opened the terminal window (applications / utilities)

I made the system use it by typing the following in the terminal window

sudo - s <press enter>

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext <press enter>

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext <press enter>

I then rebooted

still no high resolution, but no errors either.

I then installed the 1.0 graphics update (search "10.5.2 graphics update 1.0")

reboot

Viola!

;)

What i might do differently (untested) I think it would be possible to install the NVinjectGo 512 0.2b from another package (although i could not find a full install of 0.2b ... just 0.2 from nvinject) and it may not require opening the terminal window if the package was written properly. I would also think it may be possible to install the graphics update without the reboot beforehand.

What works (or doesn't):

Video: 1440x900 (not sure of fps etc..but looks great so far)

Video out: DVI AND VGA ports not yet tested (will edit when tested)

USB: all work

Audio: Full stereo and mic use with azalia audio and a usb griffin imic ($10)... no spdif/ no mic / no headphone jack

firewire: works

battery life indicator and charging: works!

trackpad and keyboard: work

two cpu cores: work

wired lan: works

wireless lan: 3945 work in progress (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost)

Basically it's a fully functioning computer with only wireless lan to be fixed.

It still doesn't come close to my imac!

If you like it buy the operating system... which is available from apple.com

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent, thanks for the heads up & guide!

Been hoping for something like this for a while now.

Attempting the installation as we speak.

Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again. :thumbsup_anim:

*Edit: works great!

Also, when I installed the Punk92, I simply set the permissions before I restarted and I didn't get that error that you did. It rebooted and came up with full resolution (1440x900) just like that. I installed the 1.0 graphics update as well. Just thought I'd help out other people too.

• 1 month later...
Installation leo 10.5.2 on an ASUS A8JS

Software needed:

Leo4all v 3.0

Punk92 v2.0 nvidia installer

Graphics update 1.0

All three are "readily available"... check your local search engine / torrent site

I will start with what I did... and suggest what probably would work instead

what I did

I installed leo4all with 9.2 speedstep (default), intel chip was selected from third party drivers as well as azalia audio and the laptop power addition and additional hot software (as part of the package)

NO video or ethernet drivers were chosen (std. VGA and ethernet is installed by default for the A8JS)

It was installed on a GUID partition (not MBR)

It booted (on automatic restart) fine after install to 1024x768.

I then ran v2.0 punk92 nvidia install and selected only the GO512mb (nothing else)

upon reboot the NVinjectg0.kext "could not be used" error message came up

I opened the terminal window (applications / utilities)

I made the system use it by typing the following in the terminal window

sudo - s <press enter>

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/NVinjectGo.kext <press enter>

I then rebooted

still no high resolution, but no errors either.

I then installed the 1.0 graphics update (search "10.5.2 graphics update 1.0")

reboot

Viola!

:(

What i might do differently (untested) I think it would be possible to install the NVinjectGo 512 0.2b from another package (although i could not find a full install of 0.2b ... just 0.2 from nvinject) and it may not require opening the terminal window if the package was written properly. I would also think it may be possible to install the graphics update without the reboot beforehand.

What works (or doesn't):

Video: 1440x900 (not sure of fps etc..but looks great so far)

Video out: DVI AND VGA ports not yet tested (will edit when tested)

USB: all work

Audio: Full stereo and mic use with azalia audio and a usb griffin imic ($10)... no spdif/ no mic / no headphone jack

firewire: works

battery life indicator and charging: works!

trackpad and keyboard: work

two cpu cores: work

wired lan: works

wireless lan: 3945 work in progress (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...view=getnewpost)

Basically it's a fully functioning computer with only wireless lan to be fixed.

It still doesn't come close to my imac!

If you like it buy the operating system... which is available from apple.com

Wat do u mean by "mic use with azalia audio and a usb griffin imic"

Does it mean that buying the usb griffin imic or other external audio device will work straight away without anymore drivers?

Or does it mean that after buying the external device I need tehe azalia audio driver?

But anyway good post :blink:

dude good post specially for the fact that I have a Asus G1 that is the same computer as yours in all the components specially the graphic system that isn't working for me yet.

I'll try to do the process you talk about because i tried some other stuff before and twice I had to reinstall leopard.

edit:

well 1st of all I did as you said however there are two things not working:

- when i do this it says wheel is not a valid cmnd

- then I saw in another forums and topics that you could do 0:0 instead of root:wheel and i did it but as it did before my system will just not boot up again. after starting showing the Nvidia recognition it says its gonna boot but kext verification times out and it freezes. Any suggestions?

I couldn't either install the system without any graphic NVinject which makes it to freeze too, so i chose NVinjectGo.kext 512 that come with leo4all. but as I understand these are not the ones i should be working with.

Therefore my questions is if I should remove anything before installing the NVinject 0.2.0b

and if I can fix the problem without rebooting meanwhile because definitely something isn't working...

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I have an A8JS abd thanks to this explanation I could install mac os x in my notebook.

What I am missing, besides wifi, is the external vga display, as I connect my notebook to a LCD display and I can't get it to work.

The bluetooth is OK, but the webcam is also missing.

Thanks and great job!

Nuno

if you followed my instructions you should have no problem getting the video to work as long as you DO NOT CONNECT THE DVI CABLE (not VGA) until AFTER the machine has boot up. You should then see it come up... and it should be full rez 1920x1200 if your monitor supports it.

Did you use my audio solution or another?

After another clean install (I tried the 10.5.5 update as instructed in osx86 forum with no success and had to reinstall osx) the result is identical, with your instructions.

Display: 1440x900 OK

VGA port: doesn't work (don't know if I have to activate something even if connected only after reboot)

DVI port: couldn't test it

USB: OK

Bluetooth: OK (but disconnected unexpectedly and had to execute bluetooth browser so I could connect it again)

Sound: speakers OK

Sleep mode: doesn't work - display goes blank but doesn't turn the pc off and doesn't come back again.

Ethernet: OK

Wifi: not detected