The specifications are:

Intel Pentium M 1.0Ghz (SSE2)

Intel 2100 Wireless

1.28gb ram

120gb hard disk

AC97 (I believe, anyway) audio

Geforce 4 Go 420 32mb

Wacom Penabled tablet screen

I understand the wacom digitiser might not work, but I was talking to the guy who developed the thinkpad wacom fix, and I now have a kext that may work for this.

I've had real trouble getting essentially any version of OS X to install on this thing, despite others on the board and elsewhere reporting some success (but a slow install process).

On any install disk apart from JaS 10.4.6 I can't run the installer (details following). On JaS, I can install fine, but it doesn't boot, with the same problem as the other installers.

What will happen is at a seemingly random stage, it will freeze during bootup.

It will get to this point and stop:

AppleAC97CodecAD19#x: 2-to-4 channel spreading enabled

A problem with that kext/driver, surely. But it seems not. When I delete that kext (to try it without audio), it simply stops at the kext before. When I delete an unnecessary kext that it is 'freezing' on, it just freezes on the one before it.

The only version I had more luck with was a patched native install (installed from a macbook pro to an external HD, then brazilmac patched, GUID partitions). That got further than that, and even got to the point of saying loginwindow had started, but then just sat there.

Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this? I've tried the usual, booted with -f, -v, cpus=1, platform=X86PC etc. to no avail.

I'd love to run X on this computer because it is a fantastic piece of design and recognised as being the best tablet PC ever made. There has been no other computer like it made since, so I can't upgrade to newer hardware.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey did you or anyone else out there even get the TC1100 mouse pointer stick nob to work? (It's in the middle of the keyboard like the Lenovo IBM Thinkpads like X41 X60 X61 etc) The pointer eraser looking nub works for a few minutes after first booting up and then stops working - forcing me to carry a bluetooth mouse around. FTR, I got that Jas 10.4.6 to install with ease and fast. Use a completely empty and unformatted drive, then use disk utility.

• 1 year later...

I can get 10.5.6/7/8 going on a TC1100, 1.0GHz, 2GB with F.0F BIOS-

here's the deal:

The iDeneb 1.5.1 and iPC 10.5.6 DVDs will boot.

Both will take some amount of time to do it.

Install without a hitch. i've been all up and down various APCI and what not.

The installed OS will either boot and hang at the 10485 buffers used, stuff - or the MAC Framework successfully loaded, or perhaps the "waiting for root volume" loop.

If you extract all the kexts off the boot DVD, and replace the entire Extensions directory with the contents of your extracted set, you can boot into Finder and use the system. No ethernet or sound. USB seems to work, SD card slot worked IIRC.

The PS/2 pointer does quit about about 20 seconds of usage. The keyboard stays going, and any USB peripherals are okay.

The Digitizer- does not work. I have an idea for a hack on that, and thats to find the smallest USB/Serial adapter and whittle it down to nada and hide it inside near the frame and bring the USB around with a mylar cable to one of the USB sockets - but not until I get the rest working.

Battery, iPC detects the battery - only, it says you're not connected to AC power when you do the install and advises against it. However.. d'oh, since it's plugged in, no worries.

iDeneb does not detect any battery at all.

In fooling around with kext versions, chasing down things like iolib.kext and iolib-1.kext, etc- I managed to screw it up because I did too many steps without making a journal entry, so I started over. My kexts to swap in are on a USB stick, as well OSX86 Tool and Kext Helper.

The system is ICH4, has an Intel 2100 wireless and Broadcomm 44x wired LAN. Though I have not gotten to the point where any of those kexts seem to recognize anything.

All in all, it's the precursor to the current "NetBook". With that thought, I wonder if perhaps one of the Netbook configurations wouldn't be more handy to work from. I'd like to see if I can restore the DVD to a flash drive and boot from that instead, it would be faster. Or another hard drive even, via USB.

My questions are as follows:

TC1100 related, what is the actual sound card, though I presume I'll just do the patcher and the Linux boot disk that at some point if I don't figure it out. All the review sites, HP, etc- all just say "Soundblaster Pro compatible".

OSx/86 related, is there any real boot log, or any utility/commands that do kernel extension reporting, like lets get rid of all the duplicates, the listing goes by so fast on the screen you can't capture it. Perhaps a serial driver and pipe to it, or something even.

Seems to me that the whole thing is nothing more than a kext conflict. .. it's just finding which...

During the last install of iPC 10.5.6, since ATA was an isssue previously, I chose the AppleIntelPIIXATA kext;

During the install I got this;

kernel extension /Volumes/Mercator/System/Library/Extensions/LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext is missing dependencies (including in cache anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

..and the system

MAC framework successfully installed

using 10485 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

ACPI: System State [s0 S3 S4 S5] (S3)

mbinit: done

Security auditing service present

BSM auditing present

From path: "uuid",

Waiting for boot volume iwth UUID 894704E1 etc blah ..

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProividerClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResearchMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

DEBUG yenta bus id 3 is being used twice

DEBUG found free bus range at 4

IOPCI2PCIBridge: cardbus memory range 4194304 byts @ 8xe0005000

IOPCI2PCIBridge: cardbus I/O range 4096 bytes at 0x00003000

IOPCCard info: Intel PCIC probe: TI 1628 rev 01

.. and thats where it sits.

The drive is ATA, master. There is no slave, the CD ROM is in the docking station via USB.

post-25358-1250038889_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well..

I got it working now. iDeneb 10.5.7, AC97 audio (built in speakers and mic), Broadcom 440 ethernet. 2GB RAM, 64M VRAM.

Whats left is get a wireless NIC, as the iwi2100 driver is KP Central.

The nub mouse on the keyboard stops working after about 30 seconds of use. Even if you wait 2 hours to use it, it will quit after about 30 seconds of actual use. Do 10 seconds now, 10 seconds later, and then about 10 more seconds an hour later, and it stops working.

The keyboard reports as USB K/B+Mouse, MFG Jing-Mold. I can yank the PS/2 kexts as it's not PS/2 like I thought.

..and of course, the digitizer- gotta see about that.

• 3 months later...
Well..

I got it working now. iDeneb 10.5.7, AC97 audio (built in speakers and mic), Broadcom 440 ethernet. 2GB RAM, 64M VRAM.

Whats left is get a wireless NIC, as the iwi2100 driver is KP Central.

The nub mouse on the keyboard stops working after about 30 seconds of use. Even if you wait 2 hours to use it, it will quit after about 30 seconds of actual use. Do 10 seconds now, 10 seconds later, and then about 10 more seconds an hour later, and it stops working.

The keyboard reports as USB K/B+Mouse, MFG Jing-Mold. I can yank the PS/2 kexts as it's not PS/2 like I thought.

..and of course, the digitizer- gotta see about that.

I too have attempted this. Our biggest stumbling block was the tablet digitizer, in fact that's the only thing I attempted to work on (with no success). See the thread here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...mode=linearplus

I really like your idea about a serial to USB adaptor -- very clever. Post back with your research on that topic.

Also, see http://stevenf.com/pages/tc1100/ for general information, Stevenf has been trying to get OS X on the TC1100 for a while.

• 5 years later...