Disk Utility Erase Error On Install Attempt

Chopstickkk

5 posts in this topic

I tried to install Kalyway 10.5.1 onto my samsung q45 laptop and it froze when it tried to reboot into OSX.

I shuffled my win xp partition using gparted so that i could try install kalyway into the first 12gb of the hd

Now when i open Disk Utility and try to erase the partition i've allocated for OSX it gives me...

Volume Erase failed with the error:

MediaKit reports illogical request.

I've tried both formatting it to Fat32 and also leaving it unallocated with gparted. Neither seem to work. Gparted isn't allowing me hfs system over 2gb and hfs+ is greyed out.

Funny cause it worked the first time on a partition at the end of the drive...

Thanks in advance, any help greatly appreciated!

I should also mention that the partition is primary 12gb destined for OSX, then 90 or so NTFS with xp (primary) and then an extended partition with 10gb logical ext3 with ubuntu on it and 2 logical linux swap...

that's the order they are on the drive from start to end

when i tried disk utility on the first install attempt (and it worked) i was formatting a primary for OSX where the ubuntu is now.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks again, John.

• 1 month later...

Hey there chopstick, I had the same problem but it ended up being that the partition was extended. All I can say is open up gparted, format as ext3, and give it another go. (licensing issues prevented gparted from including hfs+ apparently)