Stuck at welcome animation half-way through

Ben Winter

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

First off I have tried searching for a solution to this problem and the install that is occuring on my system right now will be about the tenth one.

I originally installed the 10.5.2 Kalyway install I have and it worked flawlessly--I was even surfing the net through Safari. however, I have a 9800 Radeon Pro graphics card and installed nVidia drivers so I was not able to access the full resolution settings, so I decided to reinstall this time with the ATI drivers.

However every single installation since then has not been able to get past the "travel through space" welcome animation. It keeps freezing at some arbitrary point midway through, the bottom area of the animation gets some minimal blocky artifacts and I get the color wheel mouse pointer every few minutes or so. I've tried waiting it out but after a solid 20 minutes I gave up.

I've tried a million different combinations of drivers to try to match what I did the first time, obviously to no avail; it just...keeps...freezing.

Any ideas?

K8M motherboard, AMD XP, 2 gigs of RAM, one SATA drive and one IDE drive (I've tried installs on both, first was originally on the IDE drive).

Fixed! Works a treat now. Here's what I did: upon original install, I didn't check ANY of the graphics drivers. Then on reboot I typed -s for single user mode to get to root, then typed mount -uw / and then finally /movevideodrivers. When it asked which drivers I wanted to move, I said yes to nVidia, no to ATI, yes to Intel, and no to the last one which was something like nForce NATIT or something.