Fan not spinning - What to do!

5 posts in this topic

I've looked at this guide....

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=15474

And it says

Miscellaneous:

If your laptop is heating up too fast and the internal fans aren't working as they should, delete the AppleACPIThermal.kext to fix the problem.

and I can not find this AppleACPIThermal.kext anywhere!!

I've even tryed using Terminal to remove the file, but I cant find it!!

Found this somewhere on the site; the topic has been deleted (thank you Google Caching...)

I DO not have this problem; I took it from another topic. Backup files before attempting. I've bolded the location of the kext you were looking for below. You do this at your own risk.

------------------------------------------

1. Install temperature monitor 4.4, you can get a copy here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19994

It will ask to install some drivers to read the temperature from the sensors, accept. After this you should have the temperature of your harddisk and CPU.

Now ACPI will be able to read the proper temperature and regulate the fan speed, but if the problem persist follow step 2.

2.Restore the AppleACPIThermal.kext that iatkos removed from /System/Library/Extensions

Type in terminal:

cp -R /Library/Backups/AppleACPIThermal.kext /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext

chown - R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIThermal.kext

I've had this problem, and fan control apps will not help, becouse they usually can't see the current rpm of the fans in our hackintosh laptops. You should install hardware monitor app if you havent already, this way you can see the processor temp and hd temp. If the cpu temp gets too high, check if unplugging (and plugging) the charger helps. Also booting the machine while its hot(restarting) may also trigger the fans. Ive installed kalyway 10.5.2 with vanilla kernel, and the issue pretty much over for me(HP nx7400 laptop), so you can try that as well.