Disk Utility fails to create a MACOS Partition

Cyber Akuma

4 posts in this topic

I am using the Zephyroth 10.5.2 version since my laptop is an AMD. (I tried Kalyway and it wouldent boot).

Anyway, I already have Vista and Ubuntu installed on my drive and do not want to remove them, I have been trying to follow this guide to triple boot:

http://cybernet1.blogspot.com/2006/10/how-...s-mac-os-x.html

Since Vista and Ubuntu are already installed, and am following it from "D. It's time to install Mac OS X86 finally." I have a 250GB drive and used the last 15 gigs to create the FAT32 partition.

However, when I attempt to use the Disk Utility to erase the FAT32 partition and create a HFS+ (Journalling) partition, it fails every time. It seems to be reading my disk completely incorrectly.

At times it can see all the partitions ok but cannot see the free space at the end, other times it thinks there is an insanely large chunk of unpartitioned space near the beginning of the disk that does not exsist.

All attempts to erase the FAT32 partition and turn it into a HFS+ partition fail with the Disk Utility messing up and deleting the FAT32 partition but not managing to create the HFS+ partition.

I think I've seen this problem and it has to do with different versions of gparted being subtly different. Can you run from your Ubuntu command line? Good. :) Boot Linux and don't use gparted. Use the semi-GUI version, "cparted". I call it "semi-GUI" because it will use a primitive screen interface with buttons and such, but it's easier to use IMO than the totally non-GUI "parted". These are all the same programs at heart, they just present the info to the user in differnt ways.

So open a command line window on Ubuntu. Then use 'cparted /dev/hda'. Use whatever device you're actually dealing with. If you're not sure, run 'fdisk -l' before you run cparted and figure out which disk it is. Or run gparted and get the information from there (just don't change anything).

First thing: Does 'cparted' give you any error messages? If it detects a problem it will show you an error and exit right away. If that happens I'm thinking of a Plan B, but let's continue. Assuming no errors and cparted is running and you can see your disk partitions on the screen... use the arrow keys to highlight your empty partition at the end of the disk. Use the tab key to move around the command boxes and delete the partition. Then 'write' the changes. Then quit. Reboot into OSX and see what Disk Utility has to say.

BTW, Plan B involves tweaking the start and end chs parameters of the partition. Don't want to go there yet.

Actually, I was using the Disk Utility app on the MACOSX install disk, not Gparted.

I just installed GParted, and noticed that HFS+ is greyed out, I cannot select it as filesystem to create a partition in.

cparted does not appear to be installed and both apt-get and Synaptic Package Manager cannot locate any such application to install.

BTW, does it matter where the partition I want to use for macosx is physically located? Does it matter if its past the 128GB point? Past the 200GB point? If its after the vista partition? Or if its after the extended linux partition? Is it ok if its at the end of the drive?