HowTo install Kalyway 10.5.1 on Dell Dimension E510

Mark K

32 posts in this topic

After many hours of looking through these forums I finally was able to get OS X Leopard installed on my Dell PC. Because there is not an exact howto tutorial on installing Kalyway on a Dell E510 I figured I would share considering how each system is a little different from PC to PC.

My System: Dell Dimension E510

Audio: On-Board audio

Video: On-Board video

NIC: On-Board Intel Pro 100 nic

Hard drive: SATA 160GB

Step 1: Place in the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 disk in the CD drive and boot from the CD.

Step 2: In the setup go to Utility ->Disk Utility and setup the hard drive to two partitions. Setup one partition as FAT32 (you will install Vista on this partition later on), and setup the second partition as GUID. Then exit out the Disk Utility.

Step 3: Go through the rest of the Kalyway setup (I did not have to go to “Options” to select anything like video drivers, nic, audio, or bootloader) But if it makes you feel better do go into Options and make sure the GUID bootloader is selected and make sure everything else is unchecked.

Step 4: After the install is complete, restart the computer. And boot into OSX. When I booted into Leopard my audio and NIC did not work and I had to setup these manually.

Step 5: In my case when I booted into Leopard it kept asking for me to setup my USB keyboard over and over and over again. I could not go any further to get to a login screen. To fix this I restarted my computer and selected the Leopard option from the bootloader which brought me to a “BOOT” prompt. Key in “-s” (without the quotes) and press enter. This should bring you to a command prompt. In the command prompt enter in :

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

(Type any password you want)

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Then restart the computer. And you should be able to get to the login window.

Step 6: Setting up the Intel Pro 100 NIC. I needed to download two files to get the NIC working.

File one: intelpro_100_ve_driver.zip

File two: IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

I unzipped the intelpro_100_ve_driver.zip file and double clicked the intelpro 100 ve driver.pkg file and installed. Then I unzipped IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip file and double clicked IPNetworkingFamily.kext file. A window popped up telling me “There is no default application specified to open the document. “ I clicked “Choose Application…” and selected “Kext Helper b7” which then installed the kext file. Rebooted and the NIC started working. Yes! Internet ☺

Step 7: Installing the audio. I downloaded two files to get the onboard audio working.

File one: AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip

File two: codec_Sigma9220.txt

After extracting AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip I dragged the codec_Sigma9220.txt file onto AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 which began installing the audio “driver”. Rebooted and the audio started working. Yes! Youtube with sound ☺

Step 8: Installing Vista. I popped in my Vista disk into the CD drive and turned the computer on. Install Vista like normal. Your goal will be to install Vista on the FAT32 partition you setup earlier. The Vista installer will format the FAT32 partition to NTFS. If everything goes well you should be able to install Vista like normal.

----------------------------------------

---------- network note -------------

If after you have done the above, the network card is still not working, then preform the following.

1. Open Terminal -- Applications >> Utilities >> Terminal

2. Type "nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

which should open an existing config file

3. Make sure you have the -f as follows

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

add the "-f" and restart the computer. The -f (I have no idea what it does exactly) has worked for me, and has worked for many people who use this forum, who has Intel Pro 100 NICs.

- video card and OS 10.5.2++ note -

I have noticed that after updating from OS 10.5.1 to OS 10.5.2, 10.5.3 (have not tried 10.5.4) that I receive an error when trying to use VMWare Fusion (to run Windows in your Mac) and trying to use iShowU (for screen recording) both apps fail. VMWare gives me some type of error no matter what I try and IShowU freezes up my computer and I have to restart. I think the update messes with the video card drivers, or something. So if you would like to use either of these programs I would recommend not upgrading past 10.5.1. If you are able to get these programs to work with OS 10.5.2+ and with the onboard video, I would like to hear from you so please post below.

intelpro_100_ve_driver_copy.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip

codec_Sigma9220.txt

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Thanks a million for posting this information.. I have Intel D945GNT motherboard. and I had installed the files for my network as mentioned by you. It detects the ethrnet card but DHCP is not working. DHCP is working on all other PCs. Even if I give manual IP.. it does not work. Please suggest something.

suri

Hi

Thanks a million for posting this information.. I have Intel D945GNT motherboard. and I had installed the files for my network as mentioned by you. It detects the ethrnet card but DHCP is not working. DHCP is working on all other PCs. Even if I give manual IP.. it does not work. Please suggest something.

suri

I kind of had a problem with the network too. It would find the nic but dhcp would not work. I have installed Kalyway about three times now on the same computer (you know how it goes some times! :) And some times after installing the network files the network would not work after reboot. I just kept reinstalling the network files hoping for luck and restarted the computer a lot (then it finally worked). I also noticed that after I installed the audio files the network did the same thing... the dhcp wouldn't work, but the nic would show up. After a couple of reboots it started working again.

To be honest I'm really not that much of a guru in Mac/Kalyway/Hackintosh to give you an answer. Maybe someone else who reads your question might be able to answer your question better. Sorry!

Hi Mark

Thank you very much for your reply. It feels good that someone respond to your mail. Anyways I have installed the nic and my internet is working. Its true that I could not confgure DHCP.

Another problem I am facing with the sound. I have tried other files also like Sigmatel2100.txt something like this..

Please if you can help me

suri

Did you try the audio files that i included in this post? I know that my sound, even thought it does work, is very low. I have to turn my speakers way up in compared to what the volume level is when i run Windows. Also, are you using the onboard sound like me? OR do you have a 3rd party PCI sound card you are using?

Hey,

I've been trying over and over again to get to more than 26% (or so) of the installation process on my E510, but every time, without fail, I get the same error.

It says something to the effect of "Could not save files to Volume/Mac OSX."

It's really frustrating!

I'm installing on a 80gb FAT32 partition of a secondary hard disk (internal). It's formatted correctly and really should be working.

When I try to verify the disk with the utility, I receive an error: "Could not dismount disk."

I'm utterly confused and about to give up on dualbooting mac and XP. :blink:

XP is already installed, by the way, but on another hard disk -- my primary hard disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Zoopey

Hey,

I've been trying over and over again to get to more than 26% (or so) of the installation process on my E510, but every time, without fail, I get the same error.

It says something to the effect of "Could not save files to Volume/Mac OSX."

It's really frustrating!

I'm installing on a 80gb FAT32 partition of a secondary hard disk (internal). It's formatted correctly and really should be working.

When I try to verify the disk with the utility, I receive an error: "Could not dismount disk."

I'm utterly confused and about to give up on dualbooting mac and XP. :blink:

XP is already installed, by the way, but on another hard disk -- my primary hard disk.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Zoopey

Sounds bad! I never received that error when installing. The only thing that might come to mind... I do remember reading on these forums to name the hard drive volume only one word without spaces. I see you have yours named "mac OSX" with a space. I'm not too sure why this is the case, I just always gave it a name without spaces to be safe.

And secondly, you did reformat the drive in the "disk utility" area of the setup correct? I'm just making sure, because from reading your post it looks like you are installing it on a FAT32 partition? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong and I don't even think the install would let you choose a FAT32 partition when selecting what partition you would like OS X installed on.

Umm yeah the only thing I can think of is changing the name of the partition from "Mac OSX" to maybe "MacOSX". Sorry I couldn't offer more help.

Maybe someone else reading this post has ran into this issue and can answer your question better.

Did you try the audio files that i included in this post? I know that my sound, even thought it does work, is very low. I have to turn my speakers way up in compared to what the volume level is when i run Windows. Also, are you using the onboard sound like me? OR do you have a 3rd party PCI sound card you are using?

Hi Mark

Thank you once again. Yes I had tried the files. I have installed the files you have given the post. No sound card detected. I am using on board sound card. Sigmatel built in Intel D945GNT

suri

Edit -- All fixed up! Everything works great. =D Thanks for the guide and the files -- they're both lifesavers.

Well, I really don't want to pile on the questions here, but what to do!

After a little poking around, I did realize that I hadn't formatted it with the Apple filesystem using the utility available on the disc. I should have saved myself some time and just looked at your response. :(

In any case, everything installed without a hitch...until I hit the setup screens, where I got stuck in an infinite loop between the zooming 3d graphics of a multicultural welcome and the "Do You Own Another Mac?" screen.

I managed to put it in -s mode and 'touch' the file that determined whether or not you've been through those screens. I also changed my password, but very haphazardly, it seemed.

I booted up again, and got to the login screen. Success! Oh wait -- the root password isn't working. *sigh*

So I boot up disc utility and change the password with the password reset there.

I login. Wooh, I'm in.

(If you're wondering why I posted that, it's to help anyone who gets the same errors as me :P)

Okay, now on to the real question:

I've installed the intelpro 100 driver. However, now I need to perform the other two operations with the codec and the NetworkingFamily file.

I double clicked the apple launcher and it opened. However, whenever I tried to drag the codec to the window, it did nothing.

I'm sure that has something to do with me being stupid so I'll try that again later.

However, when I tried to open the kext file, it gave me the choose application window, like you warned. I selected Choose Application and was bought to an application explorer screen. However, there was no "Kext Helper b7" there. I searched for 20 minutes, using the regular search and just clicking through applications, but it's not there.

Do you know where I could download the helper/find the helper/fix the helper/find an alternative to the helper?

Thanks for the help,

-Zoopey

• 4 months later...

Hello Mark K,

I followed your instructions for installing Kalyway on a Dimension E510 and it worked. The video rendering is not proper and i cannot play DVDs. Does anyone else encounter this issue?

I have ATI Radeon X300SE graphics card and Leopard is not recognizing it. I am not able to find drivers for it, either.

Could you please help me with the drivers?

Thanks,

Blue

Yeah. I had to use the onboard video in order to get the video working "correctly". The Radeon X300 (which came with my Dell E510) does not work correctly... for me anyway. Wish it did. I would rather have the 256MB (I think it's 256MB) video than the 8MB shared-memory video. Try using the onboard video and watch the DVD. I have never tried to watch a DVD, but I have downloaded a few video torrents and all of those have worked for me with the onboard.

Hope this helps,

Mark K

I am sorry. I am a first time Mac user.

How do i use the onboard video card instead of the ATI?

I have a 21" widescreen monitor. But the resolution is still 1024x768. I believe using the onboard video would fix this too?

When i insert a DVD, i get this

"A valid video device could not be found for playback. [-70017]"

Thanks,

Blue

There is no way to change the video input from the Mac itself (that I know of...). The only way I know how to use the onboard video is to turn off the PC and remove the video card. Then plug in the monitor cable into the onboard video port.

Just to do it, I just looked at my video options... and with the onboard video card in my computer I have the option of 640x480 all the way to 1600x1200. I'm using the 20" Dell Flat panel. But really, I don't think the monitor has much to do with what options are shown. I think it all depends of the video card itself. But anywho, you should have a lot more options with the onboard.

If you would like, also change the amount of shared memory the video card used via changing it in the BIOS. If I remember correctly I changed it from 1MB video memory to 8MB.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello Mark,

I have a Dell Dimension E510 with Mac installed on a separate hard disk. I was able to get my ATI Radeon X300 working using Callisto driver build 008. I recently bought a Acer 22" monitor on Black Friday and trying to setup dual monitors along with my old Sceptre 21". My video card has two outputs VGA and DVI. I have one monitor connected to VGA and other one connected to DVI. But Mac does not recognize 2 monitors. Instead, the second monitor works as a mirror. I see the same screen on both monitors.

In the "Display Preferences" panel, i dont get an option.

Any thoughts on how to get set up dual monitors on Mac?

I appreciate it.

PS. Windows Vista recognized this setup and allowed me to extend desktop to 2 monitors.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello Mark K.,

How did you update your OS X from 10.5.1 to 10.5.2 and beyond? Could you please explain your steps in do that? I try to update it from 10.5.1 to 10.5.6 using the combo update and afterwards the system reboots but never get into the GUI at all. It jus does an infinite reboot and the desktop/login screen never show up. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Silver Surfer

• 1 month later...
After many hours of looking through these forums I finally was able to get OS X Leopard installed on my Dell PC. Because there is not an exact howto tutorial on installing Kalyway on a Dell E510 I figured I would share considering how each system is a little different from PC to PC.

My System: Dell Dimension E510

Audio: On-Board audio

Video: On-Board video

NIC: On-Board Intel Pro 100 nic

Hard drive: SATA 160GB

Step 1: Place in the Kalyway Leopard 10.5.1 disk in the CD drive and boot from the CD.

Step 2: In the setup go to Utility ->Disk Utility and setup the hard drive to two partitions. Setup one partition as FAT32 (you will install Vista on this partition later on), and setup the second partition as GUID. Then exit out the Disk Utility.

Step 3: Go through the rest of the Kalyway setup (I did not have to go to "Options" to select anything like video drivers, nic, audio, or bootloader) But if it makes you feel better do go into Options and make sure the GUID bootloader is selected and make sure everything else is unchecked.

Step 4: After the install is complete, restart the computer. And boot into OSX. When I booted into Leopard my audio and NIC did not work and I had to setup these manually.

Step 5: In my case when I booted into Leopard it kept asking for me to setup my USB keyboard over and over and over again. I could not go any further to get to a login screen. To fix this I restarted my computer and selected the Leopard option from the bootloader which brought me to a "BOOT" prompt. Key in "-s" (without the quotes) and press enter. This should bring you to a command prompt. In the command prompt enter in :

/sbin/mount -uw /

passwd root

(Type any password you want)

touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone

Then restart the computer. And you should be able to get to the login window.

Step 6: Setting up the Intel Pro 100 NIC. I needed to download two files to get the NIC working.

File one: intelpro_100_ve_driver.zip

File two: IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

I unzipped the intelpro_100_ve_driver.zip file and double clicked the intelpro 100 ve driver.pkg file and installed. Then I unzipped IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip file and double clicked IPNetworkingFamily.kext file. A window popped up telling me "There is no default application specified to open the document. " I clicked "Choose Application…" and selected "Kext Helper b7" which then installed the kext file. Rebooted and the NIC started working. Yes! Internet ☺

Step 7: Installing the audio. I downloaded two files to get the onboard audio working.

File one: AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip

File two: codec_Sigma9220.txt

After extracting AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16.zip I dragged the codec_Sigma9220.txt file onto AppleHDAPatcher_v1.16 which began installing the audio "driver". Rebooted and the audio started working. Yes! Youtube with sound ☺

Step 8: Installing Vista. I popped in my Vista disk into the CD drive and turned the computer on. Install Vista like normal. Your goal will be to install Vista on the FAT32 partition you setup earlier. The Vista installer will format the FAT32 partition to NTFS. If everything goes well you should be able to install Vista like normal.

---------- network note -------------

If after you have done the above, the network card is still not working, then preform the following.

1. Open Terminal -- Applications >> Utilities >> Terminal

2. Type "nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist"

which should open an existing config file

3. Make sure you have the -f as follows

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-f</string>

add the "-f" and restart the computer. The -f (I have no idea what it does exactly) has worked for me, and has worked for many people who use this forum, who has Intel Pro 100 NICs.

- video card and OS 10.5.2++ note -

I have noticed that after updating from OS 10.5.1 to OS 10.5.2, 10.5.3 (have not tried 10.5.4) that I receive an error when trying to use VMWare Fusion (to run Windows in your Mac) and trying to use iShowU (for screen recording) both apps fail. VMWare gives me some type of error no matter what I try and IShowU freezes up my computer and I have to restart. I think the update messes with the video card drivers, or something. So if you would like to use either of these programs I would recommend not upgrading past 10.5.1. If you are able to get these programs to work with OS 10.5.2+ and with the onboard video, I would like to hear from you so please post below.