10.4.11 on AMD

thegodfaza

87 posts in this topic

UPDATE: SOLUTION HERE

I tried this:

Below are the steps to update your computer to 10.4.*:

1) Open up the terminal and type "sudo -s" then "your password" then the following line by line:

Code:

cp /mach_kernel /old

cp -R /system/library/coreservices/loginwindow.app /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleSMBIOS.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleACPIplatform.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/AppleAPIC.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/IOATAFamily.kext /

cp -R /system/library/extensions/system.kext /

2) Keep terminal open.

3) Open disk utility and keep it open

4) Run Software Update or download the file and run it.

But if you use the Software update :deselect everything but the 10.4.* intel update and install it

AND DO NOT RESTART---IGNORE THE INSTALLER WINDOW

5) Open terminal and type the following:

cp /old /mach_kernel

cp -R /loginwindow.app /system/library/coreservices/

cp -R /AppleSMBIOS.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleACPIplatform.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /AppleAPIC.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /IOATAFamily.kext /system/library/extensions/

cp -R /system.kext /system/library/extensions/

rm -rf /system/library/extensions.*

6) Open disk utility and repair permissions for your OS X partition

7)Reboot {Remember this that after you restart, the computer might reboot and not enter the system,

But just let it do its stuff and let it reboot

and after that you have the new Version of 10.4.10 or 10.4.11 working and running.

I have it 100%.

And got this:

imag0011aw0.th.jpg

Anyone have this update working on an AMD machine?

I just spent 2 hours reinstalling OS X and getting all my backup's restored. Are you sure this will work before I try again. If I could I would like some proof that this works on AMD before I hose my machine again.

Yes i have it running but I installed with pacifist and marvins cpuid patcher from Leo

OK, I have downloaded the update as a .dmg and Marvin's AMD Patcher. Now I'm not sure what to do.

You'll need to install it with Pacifist and kick out all the useless stuff (like most kexts if your system is working for you right now). Then install it with the method you talked about above. After the installation open the Patcher and choose the last point. Then wait for it to finish. It searches (and patches if needed) all files on your Harddrive to be AMD compatible. Haven't tried it yet through, but should work - waiting for confirmation. Maybe someone can try it in VMWare as it uses the real CPU (so AMD too if you've got one),

You'll need to install it with Pacifist and kick out all the useless stuff (like most kexts if your system is working for you right now). Then install it with the method you talked about above. After the installation open the Patcher and choose the last point. Then wait for it to finish. It searches (and patches if needed) all files on your Harddrive to be AMD compatible. Haven't tried it yet through, but should work - waiting for confirmation. Maybe someone can try it in VMWare as it uses the real CPU (so AMD too if you've got one),

Yeah, so i tried to update and now I get disarb errors SIGEV TERM {censored}...and boots to blue screen only...

DAMMIT!

any thoughts?

k

We might need to look which files are included in the package to say specifically what to include, but I might exclude as much as possible related to the system itself. Safari 3 should be ok, but kexts mostly not (same to apps in Dirs like /System too).

I did what you said and I got:

imag0013ft8.th.jpg

And

imag0016wm4.th.jpg

When I boot-up I get a bluescreen like it almost worked then loginwindow crashes and i get those two screens. Strangely after LoginWindow crashed the first time my mouse stayed visible in terminal. Can I fix this or should I reinstall AGAIN and wait for a patch to be released.

P.S: Those pictures are as good as it gets. I'm using a 6 year old digital camera. The megapixles are worn off but I'm guessing around 1.2.

I did what you said and I got:

imag0013ft8.th.jpg

And

imag0016wm4.th.jpg

When I boot-up I get a bluescreen like it almost worked then loginwindow crashes and i get those two screens. Strangely after LoginWindow crashed the first time my mouse stayed visible in terminal. Can I fix this or should I reinstall AGAIN and wait for a patch to be released.

P.S: Those pictures are as good as it gets. I'm using a 6 year old digital camera. The megapixles are worn off but I'm guessing around 1.2.

Same thing that I've got

K

Ok, new way: Extract the content of the Installer. Patch the folder with the AMD Patcher and *MANUALLY* Install the Files you need. Still on it as it's A LOT OF WORK, but seems to work after all >_<. Note: Don't get the "About this Mac" wrong. Don't know why it keeps on showing this Core Solo *stuff* (got censored ^^), but it's an AMd as the Profiler shows clearly.

post-52521-1195348867_thumb.png

Ok, new way: Extract the content of the Installer. Patch the folder with the AMD Patcher and *MANUALLY* Install the Files you need. Still on it as it's A LOT OF WORK, but seems to work after all >_<. Note: Don't get the "About this Mac" wrong. Don't know why it keeps on showing this Core Solo *stuff* (got censored ^^), but it's an AMd as the Profiler shows clearly.

post-52521-1195348867_thumb.png

That's great that it works, but how do those of us who are kinda screwed get back to baseline?

K

Is there a way to revert back so I don't have to install OS X again to try this meathod? If I reinstall I am looking at 2+ hours of work to get everything back to how it was.P.S: What are those two apps in your dock. One looks like iPhoto and the other looks like a coffee cup on a piece of paper.

Well it's getting late so I am reinstalling for the...lost count...times today. Ill try this new way. If that fails then F*** it.

Is there a way to revert back so I don't have to install OS X again to try this meathod? If I reinstall I am looking at 2+ hours of work to get everything back to how it was.P.S: What are those two apps in your dock. One looks like iPhoto and the other looks like a coffee cup on a piece of paper.

Well it's getting late so I am reinstalling for the...lost count...times today. Ill try this new way. If that fails then F*** it.

So after looking into it...it seems this is due to certain things not being decrypted...

So try running marvins

I'll have to come up with something different as I can't run marvins on my leo install

Ok here's my way explained in more detail and it's quite easy though:

01) Download the 10.4.11 Update DMG from Apple's Site.

02) Mount it and put the Installer on your Desktop

03) Open it in Pacifist

04) Select the Top Root Element and press the "Extract" Button in the toolbar

05) Let pacifist extract all the files

06) Open up Marvin's AMD Patcher and select the extracted directory and use the last Radiobox (Search & Patch) as setting. Wait for it to patch all the files

07) Get my Installer-Script here: http://www.box.net/shared/k78g3q6qu2

08) Place it in the root-directory next to the fodlers (System, Library, bin etc.)

09) Open up the Terminal and type "cd " then drag the folder from the desktop to the terminal window so it inserts it's path

09.5) edit: Sorry forgot that: Make it executeable by typing "chmod +x ./wbg_10411_installer.sh" and press enter

10) Press enter and type "sudo ./wbg_10411_installer.sh" and press enter once more. Now type in your password and follow the instructions

11) The Script will now install all new Files but not a single kext. So you shouldn't need to backup them.

12) Fire up Diskutil and repair the permissions. Typing "sudo diskutil repairpermissions /" in the Termianl should also work.

13) Make a reboot and hope for it to work out

By this method I managed to install the upgrade very well. Good luck guys :P

In case I delete the script once here's the content:

#!/bin/bash
echo "10.4.11 Installer for Tubgirl's AMD Release"
echo "(c) 2007 by HChKn"
echo ""
echo "Make sure this script is located in the extracted dir"
echo "and already patched with Marvin's AMD Patcher."
echo "Continue? Press any key"
read
echo "Installing Apps"
cp -R ./Applications/* /Applications/
echo "Installing Libs"
cp -R ./Library/* /Library/
echo "Modding the System Dir (aka deleting dangerous stuff)"
cd ./System/Library/
rm -R Extensions
rm -R Components
rm -R FileSystems
echo "Installing the good System Stuff"
cp -R ./* /System/Library/
echo "Well, that's it. Have fun, dude!"
read

Here are my errors with your installer:

cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Resources with non-directory ./PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Resources
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Resources with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Resources
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Frameworks with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Frameworks
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Resources with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Resources

I am about to reboot. Lets see if it works.

Here are my errors with your installer:

cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Resources with non-directory ./PrivateFrameworks/JavaScriptGlue.framework/Resources
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Resources with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Resources
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/Current
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Frameworks with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Frameworks
cp: cannot overwrite directory /System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Resources with non-directory ./Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Resources

I am about to reboot. Lets see if it works.

Yeah I know about these. You can get around them by running the installer form the single user mode "boot with -s", but I don't think they are important anyway.

Copy it in the root folder of the extracted Iamge. Look:

Extract 
+
 |- System
 +
| [... files ...]
 |- Library
 +
| [... files ...]
 |- Applications
 +
| [... files ...]
 |[... other stuff ...]
 |- mach_kernel
 |<- Place here

Do NOT copy it in /

Well it works. Here is a screen shot.

EDIT. Found problems with safari. Some buttons on the website don't work anymore like upload or imageshack.us so I will use firefox now.

NVM. They work now. Don't know what happened. Also the system profiler crashes when I try to start it.

picture1cb0.th.jpg

For some reason the "About this Mac" window crashes every time. I've followed several guides, including replacing my AppleSMBIOS kext and replacing the loginwindow.app from an old version, but it just doesn't seem to work.

Also with the new kernel I get a kernel panic about com.apple.drivers.AppleACPIPIC or something along those lines, but 8.8.1 works fine. Any suggestions?

EDIT. Found problems with safari. Some buttons on the website don't work anymore like upload or imageshack.us so I will use firefox now.

This is not the case for me. Maybe it's because I redid the Update in Single User Mode (had to because I forgot to apply the patch with AMD Patcher when I was testing out my installer). But it's nice it worked out for you. And we can always overwrite stuff when/if Tubgirl hits the scene with one of his(/her?) awsome updates.

For some reason the "About this Mac" window crashes every time. I've followed several guides, including replacing my AppleSMBIOS kext and replacing the loginwindow.app from an old version, but it just doesn't seem to work.

Also with the new kernel I get a kernel panic about com.apple.drivers.AppleACPIPIC or something along those lines, but 8.8.1 works fine. Any suggestions?

The new loginwindow works fine for me. If you followed my guide you are still running 8.10.* as your kernel which works fine for me. If you replaced the old kernel with the new one then reinstall the old one as the new one doesn't support AMD.