Legality of Virtual Machines?

opieum

4 posts in this topic

Let's just say you have a legit copy of 10.4.4 And you decide what the hell let me get rid of my MAC OS install on my laptop (since licenses are usually per machine) and put linux on it. That leaves me with a 10.4.4 license to use. Can I install this on a VM on non apple hardware? Assuming the apple hardware can make it run.

I am curious to hear replies.

Let's just say you have a legit copy of 10.4.4 And you decide what the hell let me get rid of my MAC OS install on my laptop (since licenses are usually per machine) and put linux on it. That leaves me with a 10.4.4 license to use. Can I install this on a VM on non apple hardware? Assuming the apple hardware can make it run.

The license for the operating system does not allow installations on non-Apple branded hardware.

I think if you could show a receipt in court that you actually bought the thing, the judge would be sympathetic. Plus , I doubt that Apple would sue you with your proof of purchase. You could argue that the EULA is inside the box and that you can't return the Box if you don't agree once you get to read the agreement.

Yea that is a caveat of these licenses now. They count on people not reading them. And thus they have them hook line and sinker. I need to ask some attorney friends of mine how valid a EULA actually is in a court of law.

This all depends on the judge you are going to of course.