OsX86 EFI bootloader install

kamikaze

106 posts in this topic

Failure.

Not sure what I did wrong, but I suspect it has a lot to do with startupfiletool as I can NEVER EVER get it to run properly. I followed everything to the note, but now I get a black screen when booting - even when I set the startupfile to /usr/standalone/i86/boot. Something is mega broken. -v gets me nowhere, just a black screen.

I have a backup, but I am twisted because I just want this to work.

I browsed the disk on another system, everything is in place, permissions are fine. It has to be the startupfile.

Any ideas on how I can fix this without smashing it?

Failure.

Not sure what I did wrong, but I suspect it has a lot to do with startupfiletool as I can NEVER EVER get it to run properly. I followed everything to the note, but now I get a black screen when booting - even when I set the startupfile to /usr/standalone/i86/boot. Something is mega broken. -v gets me nowhere, just a black screen.

I browsed the disk on another system, everything is in place, permissions are fine. It has to be the startupfile.

Use terminal from the install DVD, you should have backup you ext somewhere, along with the kernel. the original kernet and ext should be in the same folder. I have this script on a USB key and it works great.

Anyway u can get back to your feet one you a terminal access to your disk.

Thanks for the script, but I can't get my freaking stupid USB drive to mount when booting to CD. I have tried everything and I just get pages of errors.

I did everything manually again, this time in a 10.4 install. Everything rang success with moving the files and fixing permissions. Startupfiletool give me success too.

Same FREAKING thing, boots to a black screen in -v and hangs on the apple logo when booting normally.

I am exhausted and completely lost here. I guess I will have to wait for some stupid installer or something. :D

I have installed the pc_efi_v3 boot loader on my system - test partition first and then the normal use one. I also installed the "EFI_Post_Install_Package_GIGABYTE_P35_DSx.zip" package using Pacifist to install it on the non-current boot partition.

Everything still works as far as I can tell. DVD player still works using the new AppleSMBIOS.kext. CS3 still runs :D

I doubt it will make any great difference in the system as I am running a P4 SSE3 with hyperthreading - the system specs are in the signature. Still, I do see some cosmetic differences in the system profiler. The model name is now Mac and the model id is the actual IBM ThinkCentre model number. Also, notice the new Boot ROM serial number.

Well, a person has to find value where they can :angel:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:	Mac
 Model Identifier:	8183XXD
 Processor Speed:	3 GHz
 Number Of Processors:	1
 Total Number Of Cores:	1
 L2 Cache:	512 KB
 Memory:	2 GB
 Bus Speed:	400 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	Hack.int.0sh
 Serial Number:	6A57448

right now I boot via the XP/NT boot manager (boot.ini) and chain0. How do I maintain the NT bootloader and also incorporate this new method?

This is how my boot.ini looks like right now:

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(5)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\chain0="Mac OS x86"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="DOS"
C:\GRLDR="Grub4DOS"

as you see I boot many OSes (and even Grub) perfectly with NTs simple text base boot loader. I cannot at all afford to lose this.

Can anybody please outline (roughly should be enough) the failsafe method to load Netka's EFI loader from within the boot.ini?

Very much appreciated,

Bugs

BladeRunner Posted Today, 08:02 AM

I have installed the pc_efi_v3 boot loader on my system - test partition first and then the normal use one. I also installed the "EFI_Post_Install_Package_GIGABYTE_P35_DSx.zip" package using Pacifist to install it on the non-current boot partition.

Please, i get a GIGABYTE_P35_DSx mobo, where could i dw "EFI_Post_Install_Package_GIGABYTE_P35_DSx.zip". I don't find it anywhere?

Failure.

brywalker, same here. I got the efi emulator installed to the boot drive but when I change to the stock mach_kernel i can't get passed a black screen (I copied the dsmos.kext also). no go. I went back to the backup mach_kernel and everything is working.

I have an Inspiron 6400 with core duo and gma 950

maybe some other time

Basic checklist for those with a working Leo install, now with a black screen [ie no kernel action at all] after a new PC_EFI setup:

1 - whether the 'vanilla' or other changed kernel you are using has the: 'com.apple.quarantine' extended attribute [likely if you downloaded it to an exising Leo install - files in an archive inherit this attribute]

. . to check; fire up a terminal, cd to where you have the vanilla kernel, type:

xattr -l mach_kernel

If you see: com.apple.quarantine in the attributes, type:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine mach_kernel

. . you need to check & remove this attribute for any downloaded kext you changed at the same time [ie SMBIOS]

2 - whether you wrote the bootloader to the correct volume:

You can check things, after hitting F8 at boot & choosing: -s for single-user mode:

diskutil list

. . you'll see from your own HDD(s) that the included intructions 'rdiskXsX' means, in practice:

'rdiskX' where rdisk0 then 1 then 2 & etc = HDDs in the order OSX sees 'em

'sX' where s0 = the physical HDD, & s1 = the first slice [partition], then s2, s3 & so on.

3 - the included install directions are dire: check out this excellent PC_EFI install guide by 'guru' at osx86scene

. . I'm not going to insult anyone by asking them to check their basic permissions for any changed kext or kernel are correct, or whether they had 'dsmos.kext' installed if using a vanilla kernel . . .

(edit) . . . a rough 'n ready diagnostic - blackscreen after PC_EFI upgrade to a working install = no valid kernel (or valid kernel found), bluescreen = borked kext(s) or cached kext(s) . . this last can sometimes be sorted by booting with -f [flush kextcache]

Please, i get a GIGABYTE_P35_DSx mobo, where could i dw "EFI_Post_Install_Package_GIGABYTE_P35_DSx.zip". I don't find it anywhere?

Was not all that hard to locate in the post install -> Leopard topic area. Still, this is what you need:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70666

good luck with it.

Basic checklist for those with a working Leo install, now with a black screen [ie no kernel action at all] after a new PC_EFI setup:

1 - whether the 'vanilla' or other changed kernel you are using has the: 'com.apple.quarantine' extended attribute [likely if you downloaded it to an exising Leo install - files in an archive inherit this attribute]

. . to check; fire up a terminal, cd to where you have the vanilla kernel, type:

xattr -l mach_kernel

If you see: com.apple.quarantine in the attributes, type:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine mach_kernel

. . you need to check & remove this attribute for any downloaded kext you changed at the same time [ie SMBIOS]

2 - whether you wrote the bootloader to the correct volume:

You can check things, after hitting F8 at boot & choosing: -s for single-user mode:

diskutil list

. . you'll see from your own HDD(s) that the included intructions 'rdiskXsX' means, in practice:

'rdiskX' where rdisk0 then 1 then 2 & etc = HDDs in the order OSX sees 'em

'sX' where s0 = the physical HDD, & s1 = the first slice [partition], then s2, s3 & so on.

3 - the included install directions are dire: check out this excellent PC_EFI install guide by 'guru' at osx86scene

. . I'm not going to insult anyone by asking them to check their basic permissions for any changed kext or kernel are correct, or whether they had 'dsmos.kext' installed if using a vanilla kernel . . .

(edit) . . . a rough 'n ready diagnostic - blackscreen after PC_EFI upgrade to a working install = no valid kernel (or valid kernel found), bluescreen = borked kext(s) or cached kext(s) . . this last can sometimes be sorted by booting with -f [flush kextcache]

now that explains a lot. thanks. going to try this again, now that I know the file attributes were hosed on the mach_kernel. thank you!

I think I managed to install EFI.

If I see my motherboard model in "model" field with Geekbench instead of "Hackintosh" does that mean that EFI is now installed correctly?

. . yes: if you use the netkas AppleSMBIOS you should see, in 'Hardware Overview' in System Profiler, your mobo model as 'Model Identifier' [this can be fiddled with using a DMI editor from DOS], & 'Mac' under 'Model name'

Hi,

I'm trying to get this installed on my hack. I ran the startup tool without any problems. I'm still running the ToH kernel though. How do I know if it's worked? I don't really want to try a vanilla kernel if it hasn't.

I've tried running up the IORegistryExplorer to see if I can see efi in the device tree but there's nothing there as you can see on the attachment.

post-80371-1194803708_thumb.png

Looking at netkas' website, he seems to have that. netkas pic

anybody got any ideas?

cheers,

Matt

so are there any distinct advantages of this? specifically i'm keen for not having to do cpus=1 to boot my hackinstosh and also getting proper sleep support working.

my machine is a dell latitude d820 (2GHz C2D intel chipset)

cheers.

as far as I understand, at this point it will not give you both cpus and sleep if it hasn't been working for you without the efi emulator. In my case I still have to use cpus=1 on my Inspiron 6400 and sleep is not working. The problem with gma 950 driver is still there (occasionally mouse tearing).

I think the only real advantage at the moment is that you can update without breaking your system (even system updates). and of course it feels better to run like a real mac ;)

one minor thing is that you won't get as many errors on boot and when repairing permissions...

Can someone upload the official 10.5 kernel to rapidshare or something? i got EFI v31 running and I wanna test out the kernel.

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...amp;sd=a#p19326

make sure you read the rest of the thread. it tells you how to set the file properties correctly after copying it over to your leopard disk. also, when you unpack the zip you may not see the kernel, you will see it in terminal.

http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?...amp;sd=a#p19326

make sure you read the rest of the thread. it tells you how to set the file properties correctly after copying it over to your leopard disk. also, when you unpack the zip you may not see the kernel, you will see it in terminal.

Yeah, I actually have read that thread several times over, but I don't feel like it worked... I have the EFI installed...great and I extracted the vanilla kernel to a folder on my desktop.

I ran

sudo cp -R /Volumes/Leopard/Users/zach/Desktop/StockKernel/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

in terminal, but it doesn't give me any confirmation or anything. And givin that mach_kernal is invisable, how do I know that the copy took place? My "About this. Mac" hasn't changed... it still says 2.4GHz Unknown. I'm not very good at installing kernels!

it gives me

Darwin zach-thefinalprophecy-acpi.local 9.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct  9 21:35:55 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

i also did "ls -la" command in terminal and the filesize is exactly the same as my backup, so therefor the copy did not take place. why is this? even using the -i parameter (prompt for overwrite)--it asks me to overwrite.. i choose yes--it still doesn't copy.

update 1: i ended up using Pacifist to open up the Brazilmac DVD (which has the unmodified kernel in it that requires post-patching). Found mach_kernel in the packages, right clicked and did "install to default location". worked fine, but now I have the black screen of kernel death!

update 2: that kernel (from the brazilmac dvd) crashed my system with a black screen. had to restore my backup kernel.

Hmm.. Gave the v4 a try using the non-grub method, kernel. I get a kpanic. Core 2 duo (E6550), Asus P5K-VM, ICH9, G33. I used the BrazilMac install method for original install, and I can boot using that style of booting just fine.

Attached is a screen capture from the panic.

post-147721-1194877301_thumb.jpg