Yet another (long) question concerning Upgrade or Clean install

arubinst

1 post in this topic

Hi,

First, I explain my situation... if you don't feel like reading, you may skip to the "Question" section :blink:

I have a MBP. I proceeded to upgrade and had problems because my installation stalled. I tried several times to run the installer until I realized the installer image I created was buggy. So I used an old HD and copied the installer again, and this time, installation went ok...

well... sort of...

When Leopard finaly got to the Login screen, my account was not recognized. The root account didn't work either. So I had to go in single user mode, deleted /var/bd/.AppleSetupDone and a new reboot fired the Leopard new install wizard that allowed me to create a user and finally gain access. I then created a user with my old username and all my previous settings were recovered...

Ok. Now, my

---Question---

Because I have already done my upgrade and I would like to have a cleaner install (but I have a lot of applications and settings that I really don't want to install and set again), can I create an image of my currently already upgraded disk on an external disk, run an "Erase and Install" and then use the Migration Assistant to move my applications and user profile from the external disk to the new "clean" leopard install? Would this be cleaner than what I already have? Will I recover all the functionalities that I have right now? Would I really gain something doing this?

Sorry about the long post and question and thanks for your comments and advice,

arubinst