My experience with Ubuntu 7.10...

Alessandro17

29 posts in this topic

there is another (major for me) issue: it would install GRUB to the MBR and I don't want that.So I downloaded the alternate edition.Installing this one was another pain in the a...
Bad idea, you should know that since 7.10, in the regular livecd you have advanced setting for grub... So no need of the alternate cd (which is more complicated to use - but isn't it normal, this is for specific needs)
btw, you have to click an 'Advanced' button located on the bottom right of one of the install screens right at the end of the install process to take you through to a menu letting you specify the drive and partition to install GRUB
Sorry previous post redondant...Not for trollin but : Is this forum antiUbuntu ? ;-)

You can't in all fairness say that it is just the same experience as with openSUSE.

For instance the one CD SUSE installers will try to connect to the internet, but you are in charge anyway.

The 32 bit DVD (and that is what I recommend) won't t try to connect to the internet at all, at least not until you have configured your internet connection and you'll be asked if you want to configure the updates (you can always say no).

I also strongly doubt that any openSUSE package manager (YaST, Smart, apt4rpm, Yum) will take 3 hours to install 250MB of software on a fast computer. Or that Firefox will hang for 10 minutes before it is launched.

Speaking about package managers, openSUSE package manager was one of the issues I switched back to ubuntu after 2 weeks. The wizard approach is slow as hell and waiting 80 seconds for it to load the repositories each and every time you open it (even if twice in 10 minutes) and annoying little progress windows pop up on a 5 seconds basis deselecting the window you had working on and interrupting your work seemed too much.

Go Synaptic! ;)