Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3 Installation Tip

1 post in this topic

hello guys...

If you succeeded installation of an earlier version of OS X (directly from DVD boot --or-- DVD didnt work,u used vmware method and succeeded --or-- both dvd boot or vmware didnt work, u used deadmoo method and succeeded), BUT no matter what you do to start uphuck's installer (direct boot from dvd or vmware) the installer is giving u and error and quits all the time, than u are a good candidate for my noob and painfull method :P

- on some systems, DVD boots but on the installation screen gives error and cant be installed, but VMware install works with earlier versions...

- on some systems, no matter what the version of os x dvd, it always gives cant find com.apple.blabla plist error, and cant go to installer screen. But interestingly, (like my system Acer Aspire 9500, and also tried on Acer Aspire 3003) some versions of OS X dvd can be started and installed with no problem in VMWare!

- on some systems, neither of the boot dvd or VMWare works, but deadmoo still works...

If you think that you have mixture of main compatible hardwares (main board's chipsets, PATA,SATA controller, and CPU of course) in your system that is proven to work on other systems, but just for some reason, you are unlucky, but pationate and patient and have some free time ;) you can give my method a try... But make sure you have enough time! as because the mixture of whole installation process method takes many days until you understand the logic...

if you have previous many experiences in os x installation before, you will understand the logic very easily

my method is based on forced installation by a program called PACIFIST, and almost each compenent (most of the main ones--such as main folder structure , kernel, some drivers) have to be installed manually and one by one. but you must really understand where the files should be, when it is installed or extracted manually.

for example,

if you open an installer pkg with pacifist, and when you check the package content's folders and files with pacifist, you will see that some files in right place, eg 10.4.9.uphuck.intel.pkg - everything is in normal place, it just when you double click and start installation it may give error, therefore u have to use pacifist to install directly but if it doesnt give any error you can install smoothly with no worry.

on the other hand,

if you open a driver's pkg or kernel pkg, and check structure with pacifist, you will see structure as /System/Library/Extensions/tmpfiles/blabla.kext as you will notice that this is a driver, and should be in .../Extensions/ not .../tmpfiles folder, if this is the case, try manual extraction (not install button--extract button on top) by choosing only the kext file(s) and extracting them to the right place... if the content looks like /System/Library/tmpfiles/mach stg, u should know that it is kernel, and it should be extracted to the root not in any folder...

last tip: most of the time u will be using pacifist with manual extract/install but sometimes installer works, and u can just install pkg contents with double click with no problem. but dont forget to use diskutility to repair permissions on your new installation partition (not current working one- the last partition that u install the new system)

because of its nature (it s designed for mac purpose) sometimes installing a system is not very easy... many days of working with different logics i m sure many of us find different ways of installation... I will share my opinion about installing os x (uphuck 10.4.9 )... Just to note down that i m not an expert but i figured out by trial/error ways working many days and many times by logic and luck :P

Also please dont get mad at me asking you to install many systems as there is no solid answer/solution for easy install as all h/w s are different :) if we re agreed we can continue on...

- you should have uphuck 1.3 dvd (aka ufuk kardesimiz :))

- u must have a working earlier version dvd that u were able to install before directly from boot up, or vmware way, or dd deadmoo way,

- may need a windows system (for vmware)

- large enough hdd and extra partitions (one for previous working installation, one for the last version installation)

Before I start I must mention that my guide is going to take some usefull times of yours, and many times it is not one step and takes 2nd Os required (eg: XP etc... with VMWare installed)

1) Before you can install a latest version of installation dvd, is it/was it possible to install an earlier version of os x on ur system?

if your answer is yes proceed to 1A... If your answer is no proceed to 1B

1A) If you are here the job is actually pretty easy :) but dont be fooled it is not too quick :)

* As you are able to boot to an earlier working version you are on safe side to access mac files and mac installers...

What we need is a second system that is latest right? So we need a second mac partition (note that if you are using another os eg XP, vista etc...) this second partition is a must for fail safe :)

Here is one example: 80 gb HDD you have

20 gb is enough space for an XP system, another 20gb for your etxras... you have 40gb left in theory :) make a fair split of these two as mac partitions using DISKPART method (please use google its a nice tool :)

* As you said yes to the question you should be able install an earlier version of mac os x on one of the mac partitions...

Install the first earlier version. Dont worry about any drivers at the moment for everytg to work, just able to read your cd/dvd drive is sufficient...

* Once you ve an earlier version installed format the previous second created partition with diskutility

* Now here is the tricky part. Most of you will notice that you can start the main installer program from the dvd, but for many of you like mine, this is still not working once you start installation after all the nice customizations u ve done, installer is giving you an error and quit :) (some of the individual installers will work and many importants wont, i am assuming that installers has some checking system and looking for some stuff which i have no idea of :) but who cares...)

* Well dont worry, now what you can do now is download a beautiful program called Pacifist :) trust me it is pretty and powerfull than u think :) download done? what are you waiting install it!

* Once pacifist is installed you are quite close to the solution now. Place your latest uphuck dvd 1.3 on your drive. Go to the folder

/System/Insallation/Packages/ folder after some funny noises coming from your dvd drive :) you should be able to see contents ( all the installers)

First try to install all the pkg files i will mention below directly, but if it is giving u error than use pacifist way! Make life easier not harder.

a) Main System - First Try to install this one by double click and choose your second partition and install if it can install no problem if u cant install directly than long way :) (depending on your cpu either 10.4.9.Intel.uphuck.pkg or AMD.tubgirl - right click on the appropriate one and chose open with/pacifist) once you started the pacifist window, choose the package content and choose the .pkg file in the window and click install button on the very top! it will bring up a warning box, choose use admin bla bla to install confirm your admin pass and let the install begin...

:D Kernel - (depending on ur cpu, choose the right 8.9.1 kernel... ) u will see package content, and than u ll see many other folders in it... just to let u know that check to see each folder to the last one untill u see mach file and choose that mach file and use extract button instead of install button) than choose partition name (no folder as this is root level) and extract, needless to say use admin privelage bla bla :)...

Now, start your diskutility and choose the partition u r installing the system and repair permissions...

Old system mobos usualy be able to start by now... but make sure u pay attention to next step as well dont miss any. You can start the system with "-v" switch now to see what kind of errors u will get :) if it is not starting i am sure u have some extra h/w s needs drivers, reboot to your previous mac version... and continue reading...

These two were the heart beat of the system, but upcoming ones are equally important as well depending on ur system... Drivers... Kext files!!! Here are some important drivers u may need...

Note: inside the pkg file, folder structure is normally right one, and kext is in right folder, except some are a tmp folder, check it before u say install, because if it is in tmp folder and u say install it will install to same structure therefore it wont be the right one :) so it is this case u ll need to use extract button instead of install ok? check drivers pkg contents folder structure u will see some are in /system/library/extensions/tmpfiles

c) AppleACPIPlatform.kext IOACPI- Many people who install this dvd without problem sometimes get ACPI driver not found error, because for some reasons these drivers dont get installed, bad boy installer... After instaling the driver it should be fine however systems like mine need one more acpi driver that is not in this pkg... it will be inside (eg10.4.9.intel.uphuck.pkg or tubgirl) /system/library/extensions/ioacpifamily.kext ....extract this to the exact same location as the same place where all kexts are in ur partition.

d) IOATAFamily.kext - This usualy fixes the still waiting for mount device error :)

Note: again last reminder, try to use double click installation first, if it gives error, proceed to pacifist way, and make sure u check the folder structure and kexts are not tmpfiles folder :) if it is, just choose the kext and use extract button... to point right folder for kexts -> /system/library/extensions/

e) ICHX.kext - X to be ur mobos chipset version... up to ICH6 i believe built in supported, if ur mobo is ich7-8 ? than use this patch as well.. dont forget to extract to right place and if it is asked replace, please replace thats the whole point isnt it?

d) Nforce4, Viaata, usb,atiata, 802.11, natit, titan, ati, gma9X0 etc drivers as their names suggest should be installed if u have any of these on ur system and they dont work out of the box...

f) u can install loginwindow if u have problem with amd system i think, and pm power management for laptop battery management profile if u have laptop :)

If you think u installed everytg proparly, than use diskutility to repair permissions, and than restart and choose the right partition on ur system to start... if u had started after a/b installation make sure u delete /System/Library/Extension.kextcache and Extension.mkext files repair permissions and restart to ur new partition...

Hope it works without error to go to desktop, afterwards is not diffucult to install apps as they re very easy to install and not too picky with installers as the system installers...

1B) If your answer was a no than try installing a working previous one through vmware or deadmoo method. and than go to 1A

For example, my system cannot start from dvd for some reasons giving apple.plist error bla bla bla

After playing with google :)i found deadmoo method first. it works fine, but lotsa problem not stabil, than found vmware method, but install 10.4.6 jas through vmware only, no others/and no other method bother to be instal 10.4.7 - 8 and -9 through even vmware giving errors wen the installer qui comes up and quits :)

But I found this manual installation method by luck/trial/error way and it took me many days to figure out that i can actually install the systems...although it is painfull and many steps and hours it is fun to try and play with...

To note my system is

Acer Aspire 9503 series... Laptop

Intel Celeron 1.5 ghz 1mb cache (SSE2)

1gb Ram

GMA900 128mb shared ram (diabolik or dvd gma driver gives 64mb but qe/ci supported) If u come to small blue screen box and cant see nothing on ur laptop lemme know i ll explain what u should do :)

USB2 dontwork but usb 1.1 fine (generic methods didnt work!)

firewire works

built-in card reader dont work

sound card work through azalia solution but no input

touchpad works

wireless through realtek5005 patch works charmingly as airport

ethernet works fine with patch

no resolution problem apart from time to time paper clip sometimes dont work just blue box, if u know where to click u can solve it in 1 sec :)

To our brain guys, just a suggestion for a custom install dvd request... because the original installers have some sort of checking mechanism that creates error which is preventing us to install in non-compatible systems to install.

Is it possible to make installers to install whatever we choose in custom window, and no checkup is made, as pacifist does force to install everytg without checkking anytg???? I found out that the installers actually looking for some specific stuff on the computer before it installs, cant we make the damn installer to install everytg with no check up just ask to admin pass only as does pacifist???

I explained above, once again i tell, i can install a 10.4.6 jas dvd from vmware but cant do it with 10.4.7 /8/9 dvds bcoz they give immidiate errors! and quits... that leaves us with only manual install option...

thanx guys, hope instructions gives some of u a good logical understanding :)

i hope i did clean a instruction of the whole process, if not blame my english-as it is not my mother language :)

regards

PHAR-DY THAI-PHUR :)