Unable to install OS X

7 posts in this topic

I've been reading about the OSx86 install off and on for over a year now, and now I finally have a computer capable of running OS X.. so I think.

Specs:

AMD Athlong X2 5400+

ABIT KN9 SLI

250GB SATA Seagate HDD

HP DVD-burner/rom

Nvidia 8500GT

When I try to install OS X (Using the JaS 10.4.8 AMD/Intel image), I get everything loaded up until it asks me where I want to install OS X. I'm going to be dual booting with Vista, but I've already created the partition and made it type af and everything. When that didn't work, I tried a few other formats (NTFS was an accident, and then FAT32 just to see if it would work) but it still doesn't show me the hard drive or partitions. I've gone into disk utilities, and once I'm in there I can view the DVD drive, but that's it. I see from several people that SATA is supported, maybe it's just the JaS image? If that's my problem, what image should I go with?

I'd like to try uphuck, but I don't have a demonoid account, I've never asked for an invite from anybody but I'm starting to consider it if that's where I can get a good image at. Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.

I ended up pulling an old PATA out of another computer I had laying around (40GB Raptor), and I've got OSX installing as I type this message (it's installing Finnish and it's about 80% done). So that's good news.

Thanks for the tip cbmkgd.

Well it went ahead and installed but now I can't boot up into it. I keep getting the "chain booting error" when I try to boot up into OSX, but Vista boots fine. I've tried setting the boot order in the BIOS for it to read that PATA drive first, but I still end up getting the Windows Boot Configurer (or whatever it's real name is..). I also have EasyBSD installed which is supposed to take care of my booting problems from what I've understood, but I'm still having problems lol. I do have the chain0 file in c:/ in case anybody is wondering.

I really don't know what to do with this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

make sure you installed osx on a primary partition.

make sure that partition (on the second hd) is active.

then try again to boot directly to that pata hd first.

(note: you don't have to set the bios to boot it first: there should be a key to press during booting so that you can select which device to boot first)

if that works, then the vista loader should properly chainload osx.