Getting DvD Player to work...

collar

5 posts in this topic

Dear Friends,

Each time I try to watch a dvd movie I get this response from the <DvD Player> : "There was an initialization error : A Valid Video Device Could Not Be Found For Playback [70017].."

What am I doing wrong here??

Tks!

Collar

:)

Dear Friends,

Each time I try to watch a dvd movie I get this response from the <DvD Player> : "There was an initialization error : A Valid Video Device Could Not Be Found For Playback [70017].."

What am I doing wrong here??

Tks!

Collar

;)

I have the same problem. I'm sure it's because you dont have any video card drivers for you card and therefore it will not work, just like mine won't either.

What kind of card do you have, and if you go inot About This Mac, and then More Info, and then under Displays, does it show your video card?

I have the same problem. I'm sure it's because you dont have any video card drivers for you card and therefore it will not work, just like mine won't either.

What kind of card do you have, and if you go inot About This Mac, and then More Info, and then under Displays, does it show your video card?

Hi Macshiba,

Tks for your response. It's a built in Chipset GMA900..I'm able to adjust the display through it but can't watch a dvd etc..Do I need a 3rd party driver for this to work? The OS installation seemed to have this Chipset supported when I was installing..Thanks again for your help ;)

Hello,

I can tell you why you are seeing this error. In order to display videos on the screen, your card (and driver) have to support Mac OSX video extensions called Core Image and Quartz Extreme. The Intel GMA series is dubious when it comes to that support. I have seen various reports of success (do a forum search on Intel Video or some such), but I have also seen a number of failures.

You can double check your settings to see if that is indeed the problem by going to the little blue apple at the top of the screen and clicking. From that menu, choose 'About This Mac'. This will bring up a window listing your hardware components. Look 8 lines down on the left you will see 'Graphics/Displays'. This will populate the right window with a listing of your video chipset and monitor details. Under the name/configuration of your monitor, you will see a number of categories. You are looking for 'Core Image' and 'Quartz Extreme'. If one or both show 'Unsupported' next to them, your movies and ultimately your inteface will not be supported with all features (that includes Quicktime and websites with embedded video).

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Mourn

Hi Macshiba,

Tks for your response. It's a built in Chipset GMA900..I'm able to adjust the display through it but can't watch a dvd etc..Do I need a 3rd party driver for this to work? The OS installation seemed to have this Chipset supported when I was installing..Thanks again for your help :(

Hello,

I can tell you why you are seeing this error. In order to display videos on the screen, your card (and driver) have to support Mac OSX video extensions called Core Image and Quartz Extreme. The Intel GMA series is dubious when it comes to that support. I have seen various reports of success (do a forum search on Intel Video or some such), but I have also seen a number of failures.

You can double check your settings to see if that is indeed the problem by going to the little blue apple at the top of the screen and clicking. From that menu, choose 'About This Mac'. This will bring up a window listing your hardware components. Look 8 lines down on the left you will see 'Graphics/Displays'. This will populate the right window with a listing of your video chipset and monitor details. Under the name/configuration of your monitor, you will see a number of categories. You are looking for 'Core Image' and 'Quartz Extreme'. If one or both show 'Unsupported' next to them, your movies and ultimately your inteface will not be supported with all features (that includes Quicktime and websites with embedded video).

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Mourn

Mourn,

Many thanks for your input. Yes, you're absolutely right. CI & QE are not supported. I don't know if there's a driver fix for this or not but I'm currently downloading Uphuck's & Tubgirl's recent offerings in the hope of getting a successful reboot on my main AMD rig. Right now I'm experimenting with JaS 10.4.8 on my second Intel set-up just to get the feel of OSX. I'm eventually getting a real Mac but saving up for a Mac Pro.. :angel: Thanks again!

Collar

:)