Intel 82562v LAN driver

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts

I FINALLY got my onboard Intel 82562v NIC working!!

Here's what to do:
1. cd to System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleIntel8255x.kext/Contents/
2. Add this to IOPCIMatch: 0x27dc8086
3. cd back to System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/
4. move or rename AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext
5. remove Extensions.mkext from System/Library/
6. rebuild kext cache (kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/)
7. repair permissions, yada, yada...reboot

Viola!! Enjoy!

I am making a new 10.5.2 install dvd and would like to add this solution in as a choice for users. Would it be alright with you if I add this in ?

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:A piano that's in tune and hardware that I don't have to write drivers for.
The second coming!!!

JaS, you have made my week. I'm back to my E520 now. That PCIMatch didn't work for me. I'll post back in a little bit, I think I might have a different ID. I'll get it and try it.

theStevo

skierguy

skierguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
Hey guys, I did all this, and rebooted, how do I connect to my LAN now???

JaS

JaS

InsanelyMac Legend

• Gurus
  • 1,487 posts

The second coming!!!

JaS, you have made my week. I'm back to my E520 now. That PCIMatch didn't work for me. I'll post back in a little bit, I think I might have a different ID. I'll get it and try it.

theStevo

Hey good to see your still around. I will keep an eye on this tread to see how the progress goes.

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Interests:A piano that's in tune and hardware that I don't have to write drivers for.
Alrighty, here is the deal. This is to the best of my understanding. If I'm wrong feel free to say.

First, time ed, according to google and the forum you do not have a 82562v. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm sure it identified incorrectly. However, 0x27dc8086 has worked for a long time for many people on the forum and is considered an 100/VE. So, time ed's information does not apply to us. I am happy you have yours working though.

Now, for what I found out: The first place to start your endeavors is with the 10.4.3 IONetworking. You can't get anything later to even load for the 82562v. Even when I put 0x104c8086&0x00000000 it wouldn't load. (Which by the way, what follows the & is a mask where f means from what came previous and 0 means ignore. Therefore the mask I tried would have loaded anything with the IOPCIClass of 0x02000000) So, then the 10.4.3 kext. It will load, however it has problems with the eeprom. The reason for this is that the 82562v has a 1000/100 MAC paired with a 100/10 PHY. Therefore, OS X sees the controller, tries to load the controller. It finds that its DEV and Product IDs match for the 8255x kext, which wants to see an 100/10 eeprom. However, it actually tries to load the information from the eeprom and gets confused. It gets 1000/100 information. So, you say, lets work with 8254x. No. Then it might recognize the eeprom but never be able to negotiation with any hosts because the PHY wouldn't allow proper setting of the speed.

Therefore, I came to a conclusion I haven't had previously. And again, if I'm wrong just say. But, I think that this chipset won't ever work, even if we get AppleIntel8256x.kext. The reason why is that Intel drivers are not direct ports of e1000 from Linux. I was specifically told that by Small Tree. The guy I talked to said that they build all of their drivers from the bottom up. I'm sure they have better things to do with their time than build drivers from scratch for the fun of it, so most likely its necessary. When Apple is making their drivers, why would they ever put any code in pertaining to using a PHY that is set differently than the eeprom? Apple doesn't like using Intel for any integrated network solutions, much less working with their screwed up little disabled solutions for the cheap market. Granted, it probably wouldn't be difficult to add that code, but those who can won't and those who would won't have the source code. So, until I hear a couple people report that they have this integrated NIC working I'm not going to test any more of these solutions. I don't thing anybody was being deliberately misleading, not at all, but for now I just don't think its going to happen.

theStevo

time ed

time ed

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I am making a new 10.5.2 install dvd and would like to add this solution in as a choice for users. Would it be alright with you if I add this in ?

Sure. But with a caveat: This isn't a universal solution. Let me explain (I'll try to answer thestevo's post too):
I'd say my NIC is 82652v, just a different implementation:
http://h10025.www1.h...n...575&lang=en
Here's the Q965 (ICH8) references:
http://www.intel.com...d/Q965_docs.htm
Here's the Apple source (the Linux source is attached a few posts back):
http://www.opensourc...l8255x-6.tar.gz
Here's thestevo's first research post:
http://forum.insanel...o...2&hl=82562v

Yes, others have had it working before. There hasn't been enough documentation to understand why some devices work and others don't.

I understand Apple and others don't port drivers from Linux. The Apple source code doesn't reference architecture, so the Linux source is a pretty good place to start. After reading the source and architecture docs, I noticed that Intel subdivides the PHY for this chip between controllers: ICH7 and earlier for Pro100; ICH8 and later for Pro1000. What the Pro NIC's are supposed to have in common is a 82557 MAC. Not so, though. ICH7 and earlier has 82557 controller and can use 8255x kext. ICH8 and later has either 82566 or 82577 and requires a custom kext.

A few posts back, I identified the device ID's and ICH controllers that will probably work with 8255x kext. If none of those is your device, then you probably have ICH8 or later. Thestevo is correct that 8254x will not work in any case.

I hope this makes things more clear. To summarize, it looks as though only mobo's with Intel 82562 NIC's and ICH7 (or earlier) may be able to use AppleIntel8255x.kext with a minor modification.

JaS, sorry, I'm not sure this is worth fooling with.

skierguy

skierguy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
The last post explains why it is not working for me. I have an ICH8 controller.

max3mmm

max3mmm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm having a similar problem with my ethernet adapter, which is an Intel 82562GT. I can't get it to work, even with any modifications that previous posts have mentioned, like editing the Info.plist file to include "0x27dc8086" or "0x104c8086". When making these suggested changes, all they did was crash my system and it wouldn't successfully complete the boot sequence. I had to start from scratch all over again. If anyone else in this forum has found a solution, I would very much like the input. Thanks.

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Just FYI there is a solution for this chipset now, though it is still in development. Numerous reports of success, including myself with a 82562V-2 on a Dell E520.

http://techresearchinfo.blogspot.com/

Good luck,
theStevo

xpoiler

xpoiler

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
HI, ive the ethernet chipset 82566 DC-2 but i cant fix it and work in ideneb 10.5.4, Can you help me? Thanks

thestevo

thestevo

InsanelyMac Chuck Norris

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
Have you gone to the website linked and tried the kext? Is it giving any kextload errors?

theStevo

code12345

code12345

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
hey would you send me a copy of that driver?
send it to gutiarist_22(at)hotmail.com
thanks

XArekusu

XArekusu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Newbies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
How to install "thestevo" kext?
I don't know much about Mac
ideneb 1.5 and I have intel 82562v

Jack Donker

Jack Donker

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Someone got it to work in SNow Leopard or Lion now??

UPDATE:
I have it working on Lion x64 perfectly with this kext
install with kext wizard http://www.kexts.com...do=file&id=1554

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy