Apple Keyboard driver for Windows

sayumin

120 posts in this topic

Hi and thanks for the files for bootcamp 3.0! it works pretty good on my 2 machines, both running win 7 x64:

1, an imac in bootcamp with the apple thin keyboard (just didn't want to install all the crappy apple drivers, sound especially needs a specific driver on an imac 8,1)

2, a PC with an apple thin keyboard

I do like the on screen display for the volume and eject buttons so I would like to keep the bootcamp taskbar program running on startup (I'm guessing that's what keeps the OSD running). On my PC however, this causes startup to delay for a good 10 seconds I'm guessing because its not a mac and the bootcamp program is searching for {censored}.

Is there any way you can package up the 3.1 keyboard driver and bootcamp installer, pleeeease? I haven't had any luck myself with it. That is, the 3.1 update installer does not install...

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time to repackage some bootcamp 3.1 drivers. I initially wanted to get the keyboard working as I like for myself and as I did so, just shared the solution to others. My primary goal was not to get those multimedia keys functioning at all costs, but to get such things as Del key (fn+backspace) working, at least, there is no distinct Del key on my non-numpad-keyboard at all.

Well, if you have some troubles to follow above steps, please feel free to contact me. But my small how-to did the job not only for me, and for some other users here too, so that I'm considering this solution as working one. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, there can be plenty of reasons, always depending on particular machine...

Good luck and BR,

Maxim

I changed OSXFnbehavior to DWORD 0 and it did absolutely nothing =( anybody know why? I want to change it so that the volume changes require FN+function keys... I upgraded to version 3.1.

Did you follow those steps exactly? Or can you post a screenshot of your Registry value and the path (registry tree), where you changed this value?

BR,

Maxim

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time to repackage some bootcamp 3.1 drivers. I initially wanted to get the keyboard working as I like for myself and as I did so, just shared the solution to others. My primary goal was not to get those multimedia keys functioning at all costs, but to get such things as Del key (fn+backspace) working, at lease there is no distinct Del key on my non-numpad-keyboard at all.

Well, if you have some troubles to follow above steps, please feel free to contact me. But my small how-to did the job not only for me, and for some other users here too, so that I'm considering this solution as working one. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, there can be plenty of reasons, always depending on particular machine...

Good luck and BR,

Maxim

Did you follow those steps exactly? Or can you post a screenshot of your Registry value and the path (registry tree), where you changed this value?

BR,

Maxim

Hi M4xim and zhiryst.

I'll see when I can upload the BootCamp 3.1 keyboard drivers. Coz the actual setup is quite large. I think it was 2GB something. Or I don't remember exactly.

About the OSXFnbehavior to DWORD 0, It is in 4 different places in the registry. Try changing all of them.

And also remember that the value is 00 for some DWORDs and 0 only for some of those keys.

Moreover, M4xim, everything worked out fine after the hack. But the EJECT button on the original keyboard, after this workaround is now -> "Non-Functional.

I really loved that option in Windows too! Now it's gone.

You have any ideas about that?

Regards,

Freaky Chokra :(

I thought I edited my post... but I got it to work =P

I didn't follow the steps exactly because I found this thread afterwords (after downloading the 1 gig Bootcamp ISO and 250MB update, urgh). Btw you don't need to use the DPinst.exe, just have bootcamp64.msi (for Windows 7 64-bit), and the x64 subfolder with AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe.

1) As admin (logged into admin account), I double-clicked bootcamp64.msi, which installed the keyboard (note you can delete everything else in the x64 directory and it'll still install).

2) Instead of restarting, I double-clicked the 3.1 bootcamp update.

3) Turned off OS switcher and AppleTime via services.msc, restarted.

Here's where I couldn't change the Fn key function, and I'm not quite sure what fixed it. I tried the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KeyMagic\OSXFnBehavior and changing it to DWORD and 0, nothing. I changed it to BINARY and 0, nothing. Changing CurrentControlSet changes ControlSet1 or whatever, so that wouldn't help.

I then found another entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple Inc.\Apple Keyboard Support, which also has OSXFnBehavior and a value of 1. I changed it to 0, and I didn't notice a change... but after awhile I noticed it DID change! =O So I don't know if that was what did it, but that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe I had to do this extra step because the account I installed it in was different (root/admin) instead of my user.

The one minor downside I'm noticing is that the eject button doesn't work. Since I have a door/hatch in front of the CD drive, I'm not too bummed about it not working, but is there a way to get eject to work? When I hit the button the eject icon does come on the screen, but nothing happens.

I tried attaching the files I used, but it won't let me, even though it's under the max upload size.

Guest kelloor
Really nice work, Maxim :)

for any other poor Bs out there with a german mac keyboard, the @ sign is CTRL-ALT-Q (but all of the other Alt-gr keys are as shown on the keyboard)

Cheers

Steve

ALT(right)+Q works just fine on my german mac keyboard ;)

Cheerio,

Andi

Is it possible to have a guide for windows 7 32bit version ? Can someone share those files please ? I just bought a apple wired keyboard for my pc (which only has windows7) and I cant seem to get the volume keys to work ..

For all of you following Maxims excellent instructions, here are some observations...

Here's where the complications begin:

2. To change the fn-key behavior (to default F1-F12 and not to fn+F1 - fn+F12)

If you do that, you break the Volume up/down with OSD functionality of the BootCamp drivers you just installed (BootCamp 3.0 or 3.1)

So you have a choice here, between:

1. Use function keys with [Fn] depressed and keep Volume up/down with OSD (and all other function keys that the drivers remap)

2. Use the Function keys without [Fn] having to be held, but loose the Vol up/dn and OSD etc.

I also observed that once you've edited the '01's to '00' in regedit, changing them back doesn't restore functionality. If you do that edit and want to revert, the only way I've been able to find is to install the BootCamp 3.1 package again.

Running 2-cell Apple BlueTooth keyboard on plain Windows 7 Ultra (non-apple, non-hackintosh)

Good luck!

I've been researching all over the net for solutions on how to get my Apple Wireless Keyboard (the Bluetooth one) running on my Win 7 x64 PC (no Mac) as soon as it gets delivered by mail (should be any day now). I'm looking forward to use it to control the aforementioned PC from my couch while it's displaying on my plasma screen. On my google search - I thought the best solution might have something to do with getting Apple's Windows drivers for their keyboards out of their bootcamp package - I stumbled upon this thread and read through it to be prepared and get my AWK up and running as soon as it gets here. I signed up to this site to be able to download the various files provided by some of the contributers to this topic (thanks maxxxxxx, M4xim, ...), but - obviously - couldn't try any of them yet.

Anyway, the requests for the keyboard drivers supplied in Apple's recent bootcamp 3.1 update got me to do a little more research, which led me the instructions posted there. After a bit of fiddling with the x64 (32bit should be similar) installer package I think I have succeeded.

I've attached the contents of Binary.Keyboard_Bin to this post for anyone to try out but mind that I don't have my Apple Wireless Keyboard yet so I wasn't able to try this out myself.

I couldn't find BootCamp64.msi necessary to follow M4xim's instructions in the bootcamp 3.1 distribution so I've added also attached the BootCamp64.msi provided by M4xim for convenience. If somebody successfully used this installer in conjunction with the updated drivers I provided at the bottom please let me know.

In the meantime, I experimented a bit with 'decompiling' / altering the BootCamp64.msi and it turns out (surprise -.-) all of it's content can also be found in the "PCW_CAB_BootCamp" file you get when unpacking the BootCampUpdate64.msp file included in the original BootCamp_3.1_64-bit.exe. I created my own installer with a program called MSI Package Builder Professional (the Trial works just fine for my purpose) which besides creating own MSI Packages lets you monitor the changes made to your system by an .msi Installation. I inspected the BootCamp64.msi M4xim provided in his package with this program and replaced the files with their respective counterpart from PCW_CAB_BootCamp. I didn't bother to update the help files for languages other than german and english as it requires a lot of filename-trimming for each "BootCamp.Resources_XX.lproj_BootCampHelp.chm" and "BootCamp.Resources_XX.lproj_Resources.dll" together with placing them in their respective subfolder.

I've attached my self-compiled "bootcamp64 3.1 installer" for anyone willing to try, but as stated above I couldn't verify whether it's working yet so I take no responsibility.

I'll let you know how this turns out as soon as I get to try it myself, in the meantime I'm happy about any more contributions to this topic. Keep up the good work

P.S.:

@ marc22: I had some issues getting the multimedia keys on my Logitech PS/2 "Natural Keyboard" to work with applications in windows 7 (not limited to iTunes) when they are out of focus. The instructions posted here helped me to get all the keys working again with whatever application (media player, itunes, foobar, vlc, ... only to name a few) so I suggest you give it a try.

KeyboardInstaller64_BootCamp3_1_x64.rar

BootCamp64msi_M4xim.rar

Bootcamp64msi_3_1_Bergdoktor.rar

Edited by Bergdoktor

cheers Bergdoktor your files worked perfectly for me! im even typing this on my new wireless keyboard with working function keys and funky on screen visuals!

Thanks again!

JT.

got my wireless keyboard yesterday (yaay) and got it up and running in no time. I used "my" drivers and tried my repacked 3.1 Bootcamp64.msi . everything went well, but after restarting I noticed the volume control keys (F10-F12) weren't working (everything else was). So I tried installing M4xim's Bootcamp64.msi from 3.0 which gave me an error (code 2753) and cancelled the installation.

After uninstalling my Bootcamp 3.1 installation from Windows "Program and Features" followed by a reboot I could install M4xim's BootCamp64.msi without error. After another restart the volume keys (together with the MacOS-que OSD) were working perfectly and there was a new tray icon present from bootcamp. I then proceeded to check whether my 3.1 Bootcamp64.msi did anything at all and during install for the first time I was prompted to stop (or let it stop them automatically) some programs running in the background - two services called "Apple Time Service" and "Apple OS Switch Manager" and BootCamp.exe which, as somebody pointed out already, gets started at windows startup. I let it do it's job and the installation completed afterwards followed with another prompt for reboot. After that all the keys were still working, and the tray icon was still there. To verify if any changes occurred from the 3.1 installation I checked the properties of some of the files that I knew were supposed to be "installed" in their respective folders by my selfmade .msi and they sure have a newer timestamp (01 Feb 2010 compared to 22 July 2009 before) and different file versions.

(check the following example screenshot taken of Bootcamp.exe):

fileversion.th.jpg

This leads me to think my 3.1 installer works only after installing 3.0 first. Whether it actually makes a "real world" difference to update to 3.1 solely for the purpose of getting Apple Keyboards working flawlessly in Windows I can't tell.

When I tried to access the Bootcamp Control Panel (right click on the tray icon) it gave me an error ("An error occurred while trying to access the startup disk settings. You may not have privileges to change the startup disk. Make sure you have administrative privileges and try again") even though I have admin privileges on my account. so my guess is it's checking for a Mac OS partition which isn't there what triggers the (a bit misleading) error msg. So my guess was it didn't do anything useful but when I ended the Bootcamp.exe process via Task Manager I noticed the volume control keys weren't working any more (no OSD either). Manually restarting Bootcamp.exe from the install-folder (c:\program files\Boot Camp\) made them work again. To me it seems the only thing it's doing in my case is enable the volume keys (+OSD), so the older versions should probably do the job just as well. In turn it shouldn't do any harm either having them up to date. Maybe somebody else could investigate further on the changes between 3.1 and 3.0, for example somebody with Mac OS X installed on the startup partition.

Ultimately I decided to disable "Apple Time Service" and "Apple OS Switch Manager" via services.msc (don't need them because I don't have Mac OS on my native windows 7 x64 pc) and leave Bootcamp.exe in Startup checked in msconfig.

I'll continue to try a few things to see if there's another component/.exe/whatever of the bootcamp-package responsible for handling the function of the volume keys as bootcamp.exe seems to delay boot a bit and doesn't offer any additional functionality (e.g. through it's tray icon) for me.

Regarding the "updated" Keyboard drivers from Bootcamp 3.1 I had another interesting find: Windows Device Manager doesn't indicate any difference between using any of them two. Check the following screenshot which also shows that apparently KeyMagic.sys is the same :

awkl.jpg

Comparing KeyMagic64.inf from 3.0 to 3.1 the only difference I found were the following 3 added lines (at line 111-113) in 3.1' Keyboard64.inf in the Bluetooth keyboards section

%USBKeyboard.DevDesc%=Dri_BTH_Inst,BTHENUM\{00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_VID&000205ac_PID&0239
%USBKeyboard.DevDesc%=Dri_BTH_Inst,BTHENUM\{00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_VID&000205ac_PID&023A
%USBKeyboard.DevDesc%=Dri_BTH_Inst,BTHENUM\{00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb}_VID&000205ac_PID&023B

I'm using an Apple Wireless Keyboard (2 batteries) and in the device manager it tells me it has the PID 023a (see screenshot below on where to look for it yourself:)

pidqe.jpg

Those lines mean added driver support in 3.1 for three additional devices - probably all of them bluetooth keyboards - but I couldn't find any info about the other two devices when googling for the PIDs specified above (0239, 023B). Maybe other people can contribute by posting their hardware-ids to see if we can get more info on this subject.

Anyway, this post is getting pretty long (and took me pretty long since I'm not a native speaker and finding the right words for my thoughts without repeating the same phrases over and over can be tiresome) so I'll leave it for now and report back when I find something new - especially related to needing bootcamp.exe running in the background for the volume keys to work.

After many hours of research , just want to post it in one place:

it attachment drivers for Apple Aluminium Wired Keyboard both for Win7 x64 and x86 enjoy!

You mean I just install those and that's it ? How can i use the volume buttons and eject buttons ? Thanks..

poohlo's files (the x64 one) seem to be the same as those from the Bootcamp 3.1 Update installer I posted 1 page back attached to my first post. Timestamp is 2 weeks earlier (mid-january compared to 1st february), but besides that they look the same. I also checked for the additional 3 entries in the KeyMagic64.inf under bluetooth keyboards and they are present in poohlo's version. I didn't provide a repack of the x86-version so if you're running 32bit windows get poohlo's "installer". they contain an installer for the drivers (DPinst.exe) but the .exe is just another way of packing them in an self-extracting archive.

As I pointed out you still need the BootCamp software to get the volume keys working with OSD. Get M4xim's Bootcamp64.msi from Bootcamp 3.0 to get them working and do the update to 3.1 with my Bootcamp64 3_1.msi if you feel like it (<- don't know about the advantages yet).

poohlo's files (the x64 one) seem to be the same as those from the Bootcamp 3.1 Update installer I posted 1 page back attached to my first post. Timestamp is 2 weeks earlier (mid-january compared to 1st february), but besides that they look the same. I also checked for the additional 3 entries in the KeyMagic64.inf under bluetooth keyboards and they are present in poohlo's version. I didn't provide a repack of the x86-version so if you're running 32bit windows get poohlo's "installer". they contain an installer for the drivers (DPinst.exe) but the .exe is just another way of packing them in an self-extracting archive.

As I pointed out you still need the BootCamp software to get the volume keys working with OSD. Get M4xim's Bootcamp64.msi from Bootcamp 3.0 to get them working and do the update to 3.1 with my Bootcamp64 3_1.msi if you feel like it (<- don't know about the advantages yet).

Issue is that I am using 32bit so i need Bootcamp86 instead

rsmith4321: look 4 posts above yours for poohlo's (post #62) or 1 page back for my post (#59) with the most recent drivers attached. to get the volume keys working you also need the bootcamp64 .msi package from Bootcamp3.0, for example from M4xim's post a few pages back (#34) or my post (#59).

Hi all, now i have a problem, after reformatting my windows, i failed to run bootcamp 3.1. do any of you know how to solve this?i cant use the feature of this keyboard. n i really cant live without the multimedia keys. its hard for me to turn volume up n down. T.T

I'm trying to set up a 2009 Apple Wireless Keyboard on a PC running Windows 7 x64 Pro, and none of the suggestions posted here are working for me. I can execute DPInst.exe and it will complete without errors. I can also install Bootcamp and I get the taskbar icon. However, the Apple keyboard is never listed as a device in Device Manager (either in the "Keyboard" or in the "Human Interface Devices" categories). I can manually update the "HID-compliant consumer control device" using KeyMagic64.inf, but this results in a "Device cannot start" error. Also, my registry doesn't even have the entry for KeyMagic that has been discussed here.

I don't even care about the keys because UAWKS is working fine for me. My problem is that the keyboard randomly hangs (simply being unresponsive or repeating the same key indefinitely until manually switching the keyboard off and on again). I figured that this could be related to not having the proper Apple driver installed.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Here's where the complications begin:

2. To change the fn-key behavior (to default F1-F12 and not to fn+F1 - fn+F12)

If you do that, you break the Volume up/down with OSD functionality of the BootCamp drivers you just installed (BootCamp 3.0 or 3.1)

So you have a choice here, between:

1. Use function keys with [Fn] depressed and keep Volume up/down with OSD (and all other function keys that the drivers remap)

2. Use the Function keys without [Fn] having to be held, but loose the Vol up/dn and OSD etc.

Actually I got option 2 working now under Windows 7 x64 :D

[Edit] Oh, that's actually a nested quote. So just to clarify things. What I meant is that the function keys work normally, except if I press the [Fn] key, then I got the media keys and the fancy apple icons[/Edit]

Only downside is that I am not exactly sure, what I did to get it working :D

My best guess is that there are more than 2 registry entries controlling the [Fn] behavior of the keyboard as I found 5 entries while searching for "OSXFnBehavior".

What did I do?

1) Searched for "OSXFnBehavior" in the registry and changed all the values to 0.

Just so you can compare your search results with mine, here is a list of the 5 entries I found on my machine:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple Inc.\Apple Keyboard Support
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\KeyMagic
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\KeyMagic
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet\services\KeyMagic
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3482921680-60025300-2714009602-1001\Software\Apple Inc.\Apple Keyboard Support

2) Killed and restarted BootCamp.exe several times.

The path to the exe should be C:\Program Files\BootCamp\. Just in case you don't know, where to find it.

3) Followed the instructions of this blog. However, I do not know if this is in any way related to the [Fn] behavior.

4) Waited some time and let the little computer elves do their magic :P

After many hours of research , just want to post it in one place:

it attachment drivers for Apple Aluminium Wired Keyboard both for Win7 x64 and x86 enjoy!

Hi all

I have a macbook pro @home

I buy a Apple Wireless Keyboard for my Windows 7 PC @Work

I'm used to the Apple keyboard.

I'd like to get the same layout on my PC

cmd + c for copy

cmd + v for past

cmd + tab window for selection

alt + shift + L for |

@ in the top left of the keyboard

etc....

For now I have the Bluetooth keyboard connected. Works good

What is the best solution? If I run the AppleKeyboardInstallerx86.exe nothing happens: (