118 replies to this topic

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hey Ya M4xim! Thx for that!

However, regedt32 is actually the File that is available in Windows since Windows 2000 and later.
I don't know the difference between regedt32 & regedit

NOTE: one has "32" and the other has only an "i".

Lastly, the value is a HEXadecimal Value....

SO THOSE who are going to edit, please do confirm that the value inside the edit box isn't longer or "displaces the last 0 (zero) towards to extreme right.

Regards,
Freaky Chokra :)

Hey Chokra,

I did those corrections in order not to confuse newbie users even more.;)

1. This solution above applies for x64 Windows only, because I didn't attach needed files for x86 version. In the 64bit Windows is no regedit32.exe anymore, just regedit.exe.

2. Of course the DWORD value is a HEX, you are right with that edit hint: here it's sufficient just to edit the last two positions - 00 for 0 / 01 for 1 (you can actually edit only those 2 last positions).

BR,

Maxim

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Hey Chokra,

I did those corrections in order not to confuse newbie users even more.;)

1. This solution above applies for x64 Windows only, because I didn't attach needed files for x86 version. In the 64bit Windows is no regedit32.exe anymore, just regedit.exe.

2. Of course the DWORD value is a HEX, you are right with that edit hint: here it's sufficient just to edit the last two positions - 00 for 0 / 01 for 1 (you can actually edit only those 2 last positions).

BR,

Maxim

Hey M4xim!
I'll keep it short. And, it's not for arguments sake.

I've been so used to "Regedt32", I still use it in my Windows 7 x64 bit, UBOMB Edition.
It works. Maybe they've hardcoded an alias for "regedit.exe" in the Registry, which they have been doing with several other Executables since long time.
Or maybe you can check out the .EXE and enlighten moi! ;)

And, you're most welcome about the "HINT"... That's what Insanely. is about, right? ;)

Regards,
Freaky Chokra :wallbash:

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hey Chokra,

I've been a bit inattentive, you're right, of course, about Regedt32.exe - it's there. I just thought you are talking about non-existent regedit32.exe... Since I mostly work with Unix, it's forgivable to me.

To make this story short, here is what I found at Microsoft:

Regedit.exe
Regedit.exe is the configuration editor for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Regedit.exe is used tomodify the Windows NT configuration database, or the Windows NT registry. This editor allows you to view or modify the Windows NT registry. It supports setting security on registry keys, viewing and editing REG_EXPAND_SZ and REG_MULTI_SZ, and saving and restoring hive files. On the left side, there are folders that represent registry keys. On the right side, there are the values associated with the selected registry key. Regedit is a powerful tool. You must use extreme caution when you use it to change registry values. Missing or incorrect values in the registry can make theWindows installation unusable.
Regedt32.exe
In Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, Regedt32.exe is a small program that just runs Regedit.exe.

And here is a screenshot about MS naming glory :wallbash: :

Attached Files

marc22

marc22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

First of all, i'm sorry for my poor english.

I've found a solution to use apple's keyboard on Vista without BootCamp. (On hackintosh in my case)

First of all boot in windows, then insert your Snow Leo disc.
Open a new window to explore disc content.
Go to Folder "Boot Camp" > "Drivers" > "Apple"

then copy "BootCamp.msi" or "BootCamp64.msi" to your desktop.

in the same folder copy the file "AppleKeyboardInstaller.exe" or take the one in "x64" folder if you're on x64 system.

When the two files are copied on your desktop you can eject the disk.

Then with an utility like Winrar or 7-Zip extract the "AppleKeyboardInstaller.exe" content.
When it's done run the file "DPInst.exe"

But the keyboard will work now.

After that, search you need to run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator.
To run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator, first of all, you need to open cmd as administrator ("start menu" > "all programs" > accessories > "command prompt" then right click "run as administrator")

In the command prompt, go to your desktop (cd /Users/*your users' name*/Desktop).
Then type "BootCamp.msi".

When the install is finish, reboot and it's ok!

Hi i have the same Problem.

I bought a apple keyboard with numpad and also cant use now these buttons.

My Problem: i dont have snow leo, cause i work on windows 7 x64and i dont have a mac yet, so i dont have access to

bootcamp64.msi file and probably also not to applekeyboardinstaller.exe for x64 and dpinst.exe or where do i find them.

could one of you pls help me

greetings marc

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi i have the same Problem.

I bought a apple keyboard with numpad and also cant use now these buttons.

My Problem: i dont have snow leo, cause i work on windows 7 x64and i dont have a mac yet, so i dont have access to

bootcamp64.msi file and probably also not to applekeyboardinstaller.exe for x64 and dpinst.exe or where do i find them.

could one of you pls help me

greetings marc

Hi marc,

if you have read my solution carefully, you would notice, that it was made completely without a mac nearby (I had to find and download those needed files though). Did you mention those attached files at the end of my "solution"-post? Download them, proceed as described in the solution and you should be fine.

BR,

Maxim

marc22

marc22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi marc,

if you have read my solution carefully, you would notice, that it was made completely without a mac nearby (I had to find and download those needed files though). Did you mention those attached files at the end of my "solution"-post? Download them, proceed as described in the solution and you should be fine.

BR,

Maxim

hi maxim, thanks for ya quick answer

Ah ok, everything done now. didn't notice that there are more sites of the discussion :rolleyes: . so i couldnt get around to read the posts after page one.

but now i followed your instructions, but im not sure with this the regedit -step (last step)

i deleted the OSXFnbehavior binary and added the OSXFnbehavior DWord Value (32-bit) (-> tough i have 64bit) and changed the value to 00 00 00 00 (see the sreenshot, made by virtual keyboard)
is that right?

tryed out some keys:

BUT its still not possible for me to mute (f10), turn volume up and down (f11 & f12),

and how can i do a screenshot and do u know how to pause/play and switch the songs when itunes is minimized.

Could u please help. Nooby needs help :P

Greetings marc

Attached Files

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

hi maxim, thanks for ya quick answer

Ah ok, everything done now. didn't notice that there are more sites of the discussion :) . so i couldnt get around to read the posts after page one.

but now i followed your instructions, but im not sure with this the regedit -step (last step)

i deleted the OSXFnbehavior binary and added the OSXFnbehavior DWord Value (32-bit) (-> tough i have 64bit) and changed the value to 00 00 00 00 (see the sreenshot, made by virtual keyboard)
is that right?

tryed out some keys:

BUT its still not possible for me to mute (f10), turn volume up and down (f11 & f12),

and how can i do a screenshot and do u know how to pause/play and switch the songs when itunes is minimized.

Could u please help. Nooby needs help :)

Greetings marc

Hi marc,

so far so good. Did the fn-behavior change on your keyboard after you have changed the value to 00?

If so (assuming you have followed all steps correctly), please download and install Boot Camp Update 3.1 from Apple. This should fix your multimedia buttons too, since the main aim of my tutorial was to fix fn-behavior and other little annoyances, like to get fn+backspace working as delete (my keyboard without numpad doesn't have distinct delete button).

Long story short: as I mentioned at the end of the tutorial, just update to Boot Camp 3.1.

BR,

Maxim

marc22

marc22

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi marc,

so far so good. Did the fn-behavior change on your keyboard after you have changed the value to 00?

If so (assuming you have followed all steps correctly), please download and install Boot Camp Update 3.1 from Apple. This should fix your multimedia buttons too, since the main aim of my tutorial was to fix fn-behavior and other little annoyances, like to get fn+backspace working as delete (my keyboard without numpad doesn't have distinct delete button).

Long story short: as I mentioned at the end of the tutorial, just update to Boot Camp 3.1.

BR,

Maxim

Hi Maxim,

i did not notice any change after switching the dward value between 01 and 00

Installed now the bootcamp 3.1 update

This fixed the mute and vol up & down buttons and the brightness butons seem to react also.

whats still not working is, to switch or pause/play songs when itunes is minimized ( like when i do sth. else on the computer during listening to music)

and i couldn't findout how to do a screenshot (in windows: crtl + alt + print)

the rest is fine. Thank u very much. how do you know this loopholes. haha

thanks

kind regards from germany

marc

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi Maxim,

i did not notice any change after switching the dward value between 01 and 00

Installed now the bootcamp 3.1 update

This fixed the mute and vol up & down buttons and the brightness butons seem to react also.

whats still not working is, to switch or pause/play songs when itunes is minimized ( like when i do sth. else on the computer during listening to music)

and i couldn't findout how to do a screenshot (in windows: crtl + alt + print)

the rest is fine. Thank u very much. how do you know this loopholes. haha

thanks

kind regards from germany

marc

Hi marc,

well, changing those registry values should invoke different fn-behavior (as described in the tutorial). Please check, if you did everything right.

Regarding minimized iTunes, I don't know for sure, but you can definitely try this method with Sharpkeys.

Regarding Screenshot key combination: here is an official windows key mapping from Apple.

regards and
schöne Grüße aus Mannheim,

Maxim

zhiryst

zhiryst

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys, I have figured out a working solution. I have attached all needed files.
How to use apple keyboard on Win7 X64 (any).

Lines inside quotes below aren't necessary here (refer to it, if you want to use your own extracted bootcamp 3.0 files), since all necessary files are already attached.

"""""Begin optional part""""""
Burn or mount the Bootcamp_Driver_3.0.iso

Go to Folder "Boot Camp" > "Drivers" > "Apple"

then copy "BootCamp64.msi" to your desktop.

In the folder "x64" copy the file "AppleKeyboardInstallerx64.exe" to the desktop too.

Extract "AppleKeyboardInstallerx64.exe" with your archive packer of choice.

You can remove the disk or image now.
""""""""End optional part""""""""""

Make sure the extracted "AppleKeyboardInstaller64" directory and "BootCamp64.msi" file from my archive are both on the desktop.

When it's done run the file "DPInst.exe"

Note, that the keyboard special keys will not work yet.

After that, search you need to run "BootCamp.msi" as administrator:
1. You need to open cmd as administrator ("start menu" > "all programs" > accessories > "command prompt" then right click "run as administrator")

In the command prompt, go to your desktop (cd /Users/*your users' name*/Desktop).
Then type "BootCamp.msi".

When the install is finish, reboot and it's ok!

***Note***
1. After install and restart type "msconfig" (without quotes) in the start menu and remove "boot camp" entry from the "Startup items", because it is not necessary and just
delays start-up procedure.

2. Stop and disable following services (type "services" in the start menu):
- Apple OS Switch Manager
- Apple Time Service

2. To change the fn-key behavior (to default F1-F12 and not to fn+F1 - fn+F12):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KeyMagic\OSXFnBehavior

Change the value to REG_DWORD and value zero.

Optional: you can download bootcamp 3.1 from Apple site and update.

ENJOY!

Hi and thanks for the files for bootcamp 3.0! it works pretty good on my 2 machines, both running win 7 x64:
1, an imac in bootcamp with the apple thin keyboard (just didn't want to install all the crappy apple drivers, sound especially needs a specific driver on an imac 8,1)
2, a PC with an apple thin keyboard

I do like the on screen display for the volume and eject buttons so I would like to keep the bootcamp taskbar program running on startup (I'm guessing that's what keeps the OSD running). On my PC however, this causes startup to delay for a good 10 seconds I'm guessing because its not a mac and the bootcamp program is searching for {censored}.

Is there any way you can package up the 3.1 keyboard driver and bootcamp installer, pleeeease? I haven't had any luck myself with it. That is, the 3.1 update installer does not install...

sugaki

sugaki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I changed OSXFnbehavior to DWORD 0 and it did absolutely nothing =( anybody know why? I want to change it so that the volume changes require FN+function keys... I upgraded to version 3.1.

M4xim

M4xim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi and thanks for the files for bootcamp 3.0! it works pretty good on my 2 machines, both running win 7 x64:
1, an imac in bootcamp with the apple thin keyboard (just didn't want to install all the crappy apple drivers, sound especially needs a specific driver on an imac 8,1)
2, a PC with an apple thin keyboard

I do like the on screen display for the volume and eject buttons so I would like to keep the bootcamp taskbar program running on startup (I'm guessing that's what keeps the OSD running). On my PC however, this causes startup to delay for a good 10 seconds I'm guessing because its not a mac and the bootcamp program is searching for {censored}.

Is there any way you can package up the 3.1 keyboard driver and bootcamp installer, pleeeease? I haven't had any luck myself with it. That is, the 3.1 update installer does not install...

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time to repackage some bootcamp 3.1 drivers. I initially wanted to get the keyboard working as I like for myself and as I did so, just shared the solution to others. My primary goal was not to get those multimedia keys functioning at all costs, but to get such things as Del key (fn+backspace) working, at least, there is no distinct Del key on my non-numpad-keyboard at all.
Well, if you have some troubles to follow above steps, please feel free to contact me. But my small how-to did the job not only for me, and for some other users here too, so that I'm considering this solution as working one. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, there can be plenty of reasons, always depending on particular machine...

Good luck and BR,

Maxim

I changed OSXFnbehavior to DWORD 0 and it did absolutely nothing =( anybody know why? I want to change it so that the volume changes require FN+function keys... I upgraded to version 3.1.

Did you follow those steps exactly? Or can you post a screenshot of your Registry value and the path (registry tree), where you changed this value?

BR,

Maxim

Freaky Chokra

Freaky Chokra

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I'm sorry, but I don't have enough time to repackage some bootcamp 3.1 drivers. I initially wanted to get the keyboard working as I like for myself and as I did so, just shared the solution to others. My primary goal was not to get those multimedia keys functioning at all costs, but to get such things as Del key (fn+backspace) working, at lease there is no distinct Del key on my non-numpad-keyboard at all.
Well, if you have some troubles to follow above steps, please feel free to contact me. But my small how-to did the job not only for me, and for some other users here too, so that I'm considering this solution as working one. If it doesn't work for you for some reason, there can be plenty of reasons, always depending on particular machine...

Good luck and BR,

Maxim

Did you follow those steps exactly? Or can you post a screenshot of your Registry value and the path (registry tree), where you changed this value?

BR,
Maxim

Hi M4xim and zhiryst.

I'll see when I can upload the BootCamp 3.1 keyboard drivers. Coz the actual setup is quite large. I think it was 2GB something. Or I don't remember exactly.
About the OSXFnbehavior to DWORD 0, It is in 4 different places in the registry. Try changing all of them.
And also remember that the value is 00 for some DWORDs and 0 only for some of those keys.
Moreover, M4xim, everything worked out fine after the hack. But the EJECT button on the original keyboard, after this workaround is now -> "Non-Functional.
I really loved that option in Windows too! Now it's gone.
You have any ideas about that?

Regards,
Freaky Chokra :(

sugaki

sugaki

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I thought I edited my post... but I got it to work =P

I didn't follow the steps exactly because I found this thread afterwords (after downloading the 1 gig Bootcamp ISO and 250MB update, urgh). Btw you don't need to use the DPinst.exe, just have bootcamp64.msi (for Windows 7 64-bit), and the x64 subfolder with AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe.

1) As admin (logged into admin account), I double-clicked bootcamp64.msi, which installed the keyboard (note you can delete everything else in the x64 directory and it'll still install).
2) Instead of restarting, I double-clicked the 3.1 bootcamp update.
3) Turned off OS switcher and AppleTime via services.msc, restarted.

Here's where I couldn't change the Fn key function, and I'm not quite sure what fixed it. I tried the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KeyMagic\OSXFnBehavior and changing it to DWORD and 0, nothing. I changed it to BINARY and 0, nothing. Changing CurrentControlSet changes ControlSet1 or whatever, so that wouldn't help.

I then found another entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Apple Inc.\Apple Keyboard Support, which also has OSXFnBehavior and a value of 1. I changed it to 0, and I didn't notice a change... but after awhile I noticed it DID change! =O So I don't know if that was what did it, but that's the only thing I can think of. Maybe I had to do this extra step because the account I installed it in was different (root/admin) instead of my user.

The one minor downside I'm noticing is that the eject button doesn't work. Since I have a door/hatch in front of the CD drive, I'm not too bummed about it not working, but is there a way to get eject to work? When I hit the button the eject icon does come on the screen, but nothing happens.

I tried attaching the files I used, but it won't let me, even though it's under the max upload size.

Steve De Caux

Steve De Caux

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Really nice work, Maxim :2cents:

for any other poor Bs out there with a german mac keyboard, the @ sign is CTRL-ALT-Q (but all of the other Alt-gr keys are as shown on the keyboard)

Cheers
Steve

Guest: kelloor_*

Guest: kelloor_*
  • Guests

Really nice work, Maxim :)

for any other poor Bs out there with a german mac keyboard, the @ sign is CTRL-ALT-Q (but all of the other Alt-gr keys are as shown on the keyboard)

Cheers
Steve

ALT(right)+Q works just fine on my german mac keyboard ;)

Cheerio,
Andi

pangxs86

pangxs86

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is it possible to have a guide for windows 7 32bit version ? Can someone share those files please ? I just bought a apple wired keyboard for my pc (which only has windows7) and I cant seem to get the volume keys to work ..

TrakDah

TrakDah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
For all of you following Maxims excellent instructions, here are some observations...

Here's where the complications begin:
2. To change the fn-key behavior (to default F1-F12 and not to fn+F1 - fn+F12)

If
you do that, you break the Volume up/down with OSD functionality of the BootCamp drivers you just installed (BootCamp 3.0 or 3.1)

So you have a choice here, between:
1. Use function keys with [Fn] depressed and keep Volume up/down with OSD (and all other function keys that the drivers remap)
2. Use the Function keys without [Fn] having to be held, but loose the Vol up/dn and OSD etc.

I also observed that once you've edited the '01's to '00' in regedit, changing them back doesn't restore functionality. If you do that edit and want to revert, the only way I've been able to find is to install the BootCamp 3.1 package again.

Running 2-cell Apple BlueTooth keyboard on plain Windows 7 Ultra (non-apple, non-hackintosh)

Good luck!

Bergdoktor

Bergdoktor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been researching all over the net for solutions on how to get my Apple Wireless Keyboard (the Bluetooth one) running on my Win 7 x64 PC (no Mac) as soon as it gets delivered by mail (should be any day now). I'm looking forward to use it to control the aforementioned PC from my couch while it's displaying on my plasma screen. On my google search - I thought the best solution might have something to do with getting Apple's Windows drivers for their keyboards out of their bootcamp package - I stumbled upon this thread and read through it to be prepared and get my AWK up and running as soon as it gets here. I signed up to this site to be able to download the various files provided by some of the contributers to this topic (thanks maxxxxxx, M4xim, ...), but - obviously - couldn't try any of them yet.
Anyway, the requests for the keyboard drivers supplied in Apple's recent bootcamp 3.1 update got me to do a little more research, which led me the instructions posted there. After a bit of fiddling with the x64 (32bit should be similar) installer package I think I have succeeded.
I've attached the contents of Binary.Keyboard_Bin to this post for anyone to try out but mind that I don't have my Apple Wireless Keyboard yet so I wasn't able to try this out myself.
I couldn't find BootCamp64.msi necessary to follow M4xim's instructions in the bootcamp 3.1 distribution so I've added also attached the BootCamp64.msi provided by M4xim for convenience. If somebody successfully used this installer in conjunction with the updated drivers I provided at the bottom please let me know.
In the meantime, I experimented a bit with 'decompiling' / altering the BootCamp64.msi and it turns out (surprise -.-) all of it's content can also be found in the "PCW_CAB_BootCamp" file you get when unpacking the BootCampUpdate64.msp file included in the original BootCamp_3.1_64-bit.exe. I created my own installer with a program called MSI Package Builder Professional (the Trial works just fine for my purpose) which besides creating own MSI Packages lets you monitor the changes made to your system by an .msi Installation. I inspected the BootCamp64.msi M4xim provided in his package with this program and replaced the files with their respective counterpart from PCW_CAB_BootCamp. I didn't bother to update the help files for languages other than german and english as it requires a lot of filename-trimming for each "BootCamp.Resources_XX.lproj_BootCampHelp.chm" and "BootCamp.Resources_XX.lproj_Resources.dll" together with placing them in their respective subfolder.
I've attached my self-compiled "bootcamp64 3.1 installer" for anyone willing to try, but as stated above I couldn't verify whether it's working yet so I take no responsibility.
I'll let you know how this turns out as soon as I get to try it myself, in the meantime I'm happy about any more contributions to this topic. Keep up the good work

P.S.:
@ marc22: I had some issues getting the multimedia keys on my Logitech PS/2 "Natural Keyboard" to work with applications in windows 7 (not limited to iTunes) when they are out of focus. The instructions posted here helped me to get all the keys working again with whatever application (media player, itunes, foobar, vlc, ... only to name a few) so I suggest you give it a try.

Attached Files

Edited by Bergdoktor, 22 June 2010 - 03:06 PM.

jt!

jt!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
cheers Bergdoktor your files worked perfectly for me! im even typing this on my new wireless keyboard with working function keys and funky on screen visuals!

Thanks again!

JT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy