Freehand Type Manipulation Expert

OSXtotheZ

2 posts in this topic

Hey there Im a graphic designer and have been requested to create a super hero type logo. I primarily use Freehand for these types of requests and but I've ran into a couple obstacles. One of the basic trials I'm wanting to do is see what a letter form looks like when its base is narrowed and its top widened sort of like the superman "S" but I can not find and easy way to do this there used to be in older Freehands a perspective tool but in MX it looks much that perspective tool looks like its is to address 3-d and not simple 2-d perspectives. I can kind of do it by converting the type to points and manipulating the points and curves but that is a much tedious task to do especially in this exploration phase. Any ideas as how to approach this and for those quick to throw Adobe illustrator as the solution I can only say thanks but no thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure why it's thanks but no thanks? Illustrator's Distort and Envelope plugins, plus envelope mesh, do EXACTLY this? And you can still edit the text. Now that Adobe has both Illustrator and Freehand, you can bet they'll push Illustrator CS3 as the solution for design - for print, anyway. I haven't met a designer that used Freehand for years.