Upgrading to Windows Vista & OSX x86

10 posts in this topic

I posted this in the Installation forums too because I wasn't sure where it belonged:

Hello everybody.

I recently got a free legal copy of Windows Vista (part of one of Microsoft's many promotions), and was planning to upgrade my Windows XP to it.

Currently, I have Windows XP and OSX x86 10.4.8 installed and am dual booting with Darwin (with OSX x86 as the active partition).

I was wondering if it would be safe for me to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows Vista and still have everything running 'fine and dandy' with Darwin.

Thanks for spending your time reading this.

-Guest:

I posted this in the Installation forums too because I wasn't sure where it belonged:

Hello everybody.

I recently got a free legal copy of Windows Vista (part of one of Microsoft's many promotions), and was planning to upgrade my Windows XP to it.

Currently, I have Windows XP and OSX x86 10.4.8 installed and am dual booting with Darwin (with OSX x86 as the active partition).

I was wondering if it would be safe for me to upgrade my Windows XP to Windows Vista and still have everything running 'fine and dandy' with Darwin.

Thanks for spending your time reading this.

-Guest:

Besides OS X I have XP, Vista, Linux, all running fine on my hackintosh.

One word of caution: once you "upgrade" (?) XP to Vista, you might have a bad surprise: some/many of your XP apps will stop working properly.

Which applications stopped working for you?

When I say "upgrade" I meant like.. keeping all the XP files intact while just changing the operating system. Haha hope that make sense. (You know.. when you install Vista while running Windows XP with the CD rather than doing a fresh install on a clean partition.)

P.S. What do you use to boot? (Darwin, Chain0, Acronis etc.)

Edited by Guest:

i upgraded xp to vista RTM with no problems the vista update does a compatibility test with the apps installed and only one of my apps didnt work which was daemon tools but after i updated i found there was a new version or d-tools so everything was fine and I love Vista :(

i upgraded xp to vista RTM with no problems the vista update does a compatibility test with the apps installed and only one of my apps didnt work which was daemon tools but after i updated i found there was a new version or d-tools so everything was fine and I love Vista :rolleyes:

Are you using the Darwin method? I heard that there was a problem where if Vista wasn't the active partition it didn't function properly.

I would play it safe and install Vista on a fresh drive. It may "upgrade" without a hitch, but in the event that you decide you want to use xp instead it would be a lot easier just to pop in that old drive with xp instead of figuring out how the hell to rollback to xp without any problems.

Edited by dponmac

I was just wondering the same... Won't Vista change my Darwin Boot Options?

Well, actually Vista installs some {censored} bootloader at your main Windows XP hd, on the subfolder BOOT. Getting rid of that thing is as easy as running the bootsect.exe program on the Vista DVD. So you may be relatively safe from getting darwin bootloader overwritten, but you'll never know, it's windows!

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Tks.

Well, actually Vista installs some {censored} bootloader at your main Windows XP hd, on the subfolder BOOT. Getting rid of that thing is as easy as running the bootsect.exe program on the Vista DVD. So you may be relatively safe from getting darwin bootloader overwritten, but you'll never know, it's windows!