Are Apple Users Stupid?

sHARD>>

77 posts in this topic

well.... every time im at the apple store here in good ole Tigard.OR in washinton square ... i begin to think the people who buy there macs are also getting a video professor lesson..... the GENIUS BAR dude SAT WITH THIS GUY FOR 1 AND A HALF HOURS TEACHING him how to use his new Imac.... I mean COME ON. !!!

So my Opinion... half and half. ;)

Guys... I'm a CompSci student and have been using computers since the age of 2 (dad bought a BBCB Microcomputer). And am now thinking of switching to a Mac for the first time. Why?

Well, I got a legal licence from my CompSci department licensing scheme (MSDNAA) for a free copy of Vista Business, that's why. Used it for a while until my old laptop blew up last week which is why I'm in the market for a new machine. Saw Vista Business boxed in a shop today... £289.99. For you Americans, that's about $580. So, not even the top end version and it's priced through the roof? No wonder people still swear by XP. Vista is just XP with stolen features from UNIX and OSX, with a pretty (which is debatable, actually... parts of it really don't look too good) interface, bloat and a load of extra-annoying "features" and bugs. Mac users, you're missing basically nothing. DirectX10 will take forever to get off the ground due to the lack of cards and third-party software supporting it, and OpenGL is crippled.

Saw a Macbook Pro today in the same shop where I saw the boxed Vista. Restarted it to see its speed. Onto the OSX desktop in 20 seconds, my £2000 corporate test machine running Vista Business takes 45 seconds to get to the same stage after it's stopped chugging, and everything on that is brand new with a fresh install.

Sure, I might not get the same range of applications for OSX, but there's always the ability to run Windows if I need to. I've found 3rd party equivalents for most Windows apps anyway, in the same way as I did for Linux, it's no big deal. The only serious things might be MS Visual Studio (get Parallels/Boot Camp, I've got a legitimate XP Pro lying around which I'd rather use than Vista TBH) MS Office (again, run my pirate copy on Parallels, or get the Mac version... but there's NeoOffice which is a piece-o'-{censored} after using OpenOffice on both Windows and Linux). The rest of the apps I might use are cross-platform, such as Eclipse, the Macromedia suite, and open source shizzle like Blender and The GIMP.

I really don't think I'd be losing much by switching to Mac at this point. I've made the switch to console gaming in a very big way as I've got an XBOX 360, which is getting far more play time than my old PSX, PS2 and N64 ever did, so I'm not all for high-tech graphical performance these days.