Raid setup in both systems

vitorfraga

7 posts in this topic

I need to now if is possible to setup a array which work in both system flawsly.

I`m using a sata array in windows XP(mounted and controled by the OS).... but, I need that the array be configured in both systems.

How to do this????

I`ve thinking that is possible since I use a common File system, like unix one... and maybe a controler which mount the partition before the boot.

Is this possible??

Can someone help me with this..??

thks...

A software RAID (no fake RAID controller) made in OSX or Windows will only work with 1 OS and not with the other.

If you are using a fake RAID controller, you'll need a driver for your RAID controler, unfortunately OSX86 haven't any so it will not work.

It's the same with Linux, every old Distro without dmraid does'nt support any RAID chipset.

http://people.redhat.com/heinzm/sw/dmraid/readme

At this time I don't think that it's possible to use the same Array in OSX and MS no matter if it's a software RAID or a RAID array made with a fake RAID controller (witch is also a Sofware RAID).

I need to now if is possible to setup a array which work in both system flawsly.

I`m using a sata array in windows XP(mounted and controled by the OS).... but, I need that the array be configured in both systems.

How to do this????

I`ve thinking that is possible since I use a common File system, like unix one... and maybe a controler which mount the partition before the boot.

Is this possible??

Can someone help me with this..??

thks...

Edited by DrJägermeister

A software RAID (no fake RAID controller) made in OSX or Windows will only work with 1 OS and not with the other.

If you are using a fake RAID controller, you'll need a driver for your RAID controler, unfortunately OSX86 haven't any so it will not work.

The intel 945 chipset has a onboard raid controler. It is setup OS independent..by matrix storage software which mount a disk before boot like scssi controllers. So ... when mac os loads, the mounted disk is already there..(in theory). If this works... I need to know:

1 Which file system is the better choice(matrix storage don`t make hfs partition)

2 How to make the permissions works in both systems automatcly.

3 Is it possible with Mac osx Server which can read and write to a miriad of file systems??

4 Is really need a driver to Mac OS recognise the raid driver mounted in this way??

A RAID array with the i945 chipset is a fake RAID, it has only a BIOS and the RAID functionality is done via Sofware. In order to get it working you need the drivers, in Windows you press F6 during installation and add the driver, for Linux you are using dmraid. But for OSX86 I think there are no driver avaible for such a RAID array.

The intel 945 chipset has a onboard raid controler. It is setup OS independent..by matrix storage software which mount a disk before boot like scssi controllers. So ... when mac os loads, the mounted disk is already there..(in theory). If this works... I need to know:

1 Which file system is the better choice(matrix storage don`t make hfs partition)

2 How to make the permissions works in both systems automatcly.

3 Is it possible with Mac osx Server which can read and write to a miriad of file systems??

4 Is really need a driver to Mac OS recognise the raid driver mounted in this way??

• 1 month later...

Well...good news..

It´s possible to configure... a array disks... in both systems.

Use AVID Disk Utility software... to configure your array in mac osx... so the tools are capable of hfs and hfs+ raid format....

And use MacDrive 6 CrossStripe Edition software to acess.

"....include support for striped Mac arrays created with ATTO ExpressStripe, ATTO ExpressRAID or AVID Disk Utility software."

My array is full right now... so i need to do some backup before testing this idea...

but this seems to be a promisse....