• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

coolied

coolied

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Just thought I'd report that I finally got this card working with good speeds!

You need to install the Kalyway 10.5.2 Kernel Update in order for it to work. I originally just installed the 10.5.2 Combo Updater...but it MUST have the Kernel update as well for the WL-138G to work with sufficient speeds.

David

That probably has something to do with a kernel/System.kext version conflict that tends to wreak havoc on USB devices (causing the USB Mass Storage failure to mount problems among other things); mine runs OOB with 10.5.4 and 9.4.0 kernel/System.kext and is faster than the RTL8187L on my mobo that it replaced. Airport compatibility is so nice, the Realtek utility always took 2 or 3 minutes to launch, with this card I have network as soon as the desktop appears. Works nicely on my Vista install, too!

wrathfulcoot

wrathfulcoot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, moving the antenna worked for me too! Thanks for that! That problem has been bugging me for months.

mastertedd

mastertedd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the antenna is not the real problem, i tried it too and I felt a difference but not enough, my bandwich pass from 4ko/s to 10Ko/s and my hackintosh is about 2 meters from my router....
at the begin a thought it was an issue with the appleacpiplatform.kext or smbios, maybe a problem with the pci port or something else, but my knowlegde is too low to find the responce, so i tried just during the installation to check only iofamily and broadcom driver in the network section, and guess what, IT WORKS, for many hours, i could download all my utlities at 300ko/s and more, but only for hours..

I go out for lunch, after that I tried the speed just to make sure it was not a dream, and it all fall down and never speedup anymore..... now I feel completly desperate...

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2, the only one which bring me the sleep fonctionnality on my ep45-ds3l, but only which not dectecting the asus wl-138g v2 during the osx install to bring the wlan feature in it (instead of leo4all v3, or zephyroth "amd only")... if it could help...

SOME BODY HELP ME, HELP US!!!

(ps: sorry my poor english)

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

I'm on Kalyway 10.5.2, the only one which bring me the sleep fonctionnality on my ep45-ds3l, but only which not dectecting the asus wl-138g v2 during the osx install to bring the wlan feature in it (instead of leo4all v3, or zephyroth "amd only")... if it could help...

You're running on a EP45-DS3L, so why the Kalyway? Why don't you do a retail install, and have mostly vanilla Kexts? I have P35-DS3R and retail install (now 10.5.6). No patches, vanilla kexts, and vanilla kernel. Everything works including the WL-138g V2.

mastertedd

mastertedd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

You're running on a EP45-DS3L, so why the Kalyway? Why don't you do a retail install, and have mostly vanilla Kexts? I have P35-DS3R and retail install (now 10.5.6). No patches, vanilla kexts, and vanilla kernel. Everything works including the WL-138g V2.

simply because I'm a newbie and affraid of doing something wrong.... you think it's the Kalyway the probleme (I thought it too this morning, that's why I'm tring to install iDenebv1.3 "10.5.5")

what the meaning of the Tiger iofamily80211.kext, is it necessary for the broadcom chipset of the asus 138gv2 if I checked the broadcom driver, or should I only check the broadcom driver

ps: I would try a retail install once I got the release, I swear!

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

simply because I'm a newbie and affraid of doing something wrong.... you think it's the Kalyway the probleme (I thought it too this morning, that's why I'm tring to install iDenebv1.3 "10.5.5")

what the meaning of the Tiger iofamily80211.kext, is it necessary for the broadcom chipset of the asus 138gv2 if I checked the broadcom driver, or should I only check the broadcom driver

ps: I would try a retail install once I got the release, I swear!

I said I was running retail with vanilla kexts, I should be more specific. I am running Leopard retail with Leopard kexts. If I was running a kext from Tiger I would have said.

If you are a newbie, then you should be doing as much experimentation as possible while building before you start seriously using a system. This will remove your newbie status ASAP. If you are worried about losing data (and you should be if you have your data, and install on one disk) then get/borrow another hard disk, disconnect the one with your data/stuff on it, and start experimenting with a retail distro. Really these third party distros are meant for people with no clue, or really non-standard hardware, AMD CPU's, non-standard GFX cards, etc. In fact even now, if I had a strange mobo, I would still go the retail install route, and have a USB stick handy with the patches/kexts I need for my hardware. It's the only way to guarantee what you're installing, and the only way to learn. I'm not slagging off the other distro's there is a place for them, but to me it's like the warez scene, or the 0day torrents scene, people just want to appear l33t and first, and all that nonsense.

mastertedd

mastertedd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
here's my hardware:
cpu: core2duo E2000; mobo: gigabyte ep45-ds3l; dh: hitachi 500go sata; dvd: LG; mem: 2go kingston; Wlan: asus wl-138g v2
I've choose all my hardware from the HCL of osx86 for 10.5.2 and there are no personnal data on the HD

i have a retail DVD of Leopard from a Mac mini (dont ask me how...), could I tried it on it?
i've dowload the LS8 pack v12, should I use it after the install?
i have dowload broadcom v2 driver from "insanlymac" to, do I have to use it or my Wlan will be detect as well without it (I think I should, but I rather your advise)

What did you do for your 138gv2 to work?

on the contrib dvds I use I have to check some option if I want my MOBO to sleep well... the retail will correct this?

ps: again, sorry for my crapish english

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

here's my hardware:
cpu: core2duo E2000; mobo: gigabyte ep45-ds3l; dh: hitachi 500go sata; dvd: LG; mem: 2go kingston; Wlan: asus wl-138g v2
I've choose all my hardware from the HCL of osx86 for 10.5.2 and there are no personnal data on the HD

Good choices.

i have a retail DVD of Leopard from a Mac mini (dont ask me how...), could I tried it on it?

Possibly. Some disks installer checks the target hardware and will say "cannot install on this machine" if it doesn't match.

i've dowload the LS8 pack v12, should I use it after the install?

The LS8 pack/method is designed for when you are installing mac osx onto another disk from an existing installation. Useful if you have two macs, or even just one mac with a spare disk (the target can be a USB disk). The pre patch prepares the disk, and post patch (post-install) replaces certain kexts which are not compatible. I'm sure you have the link already -> LS8 method If you have a spare disk (10-20Gb will do fine!) I would install a simple kalyway or whatever is easist on the spare disk, boot from it, and use that to install retail on your main hard disk.

i have dowload broadcom v2 driver from "insanlymac" to, do I have to use it or my Wlan will be detect as well without it (I think I should, but I rather your advise)

No, you don't need it.

What did you do for your 138gv2 to work?

Nothing, it worked out of the box after retail install based on LS8 method. It also worked when I did the Kalyway method some time before I did the retail install, but I found the wlan wasn't reliable.

on the contrib dvds I use I have to check some option if I want my MOBO to sleep well... the retail will correct this?

Follow the LS8 method, and make sure in energy saver preferences that you set the "Restart automatically after a power failure".

ps: again, sorry for my crapish english

No problem, I live in a foreign country myself, so I understand.

mastertedd

mastertedd

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I Ahev download the retail install guide for 10.5.6 in order to ake it, but unfortunatly the retail DVD I got is a 10.5.2, so , after the the kalyway install, when in the terminal wrote '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages' , it send me a message "no such file or directory", so I change tne "Mac OS X Install DVD" to "Mac OS X Install Disc1" (the real name..) it send me the same message, so I can't locate the specific .mpkg to make the install...

some clue? or should a stand for 10.5.6 (already on the way... don't ask me how too..)

(ps: it's a french english, lol)

EDIT: I've found the Osinstall.mpkg on the 10.5.2, my bad.... I continue to progess with it....

scenic

scenic

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
touching my antenna works, but then when i stop touching it, goes slow again!

danonym

danonym

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys,

if anyone still got problems with this card you should check the channel on which your router is sending because the card doesnt work well with high channels!

mbatriani

mbatriani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all.

This is my resolution for the slow speed issue. I recently purchased this card and installed in on Snow Leopard and I can confirm it works straight OOB. It shows up as an Airport device perfectly.

I did however experience terrible speeds of around 4kbps. Personally, I don't believe the slow speeds have anything to do with drivers etc but more so, some antennas provided with network cards may provide a bad Earth signal.

The antenna to my understanding is connected via a negative signal with the physical network card inside the computer being the positive.

Solution? I removed the antenna.

Give it a try. As soon as I did, it took off for young and old. Some computer cases (such as my Antec) are known to provide the negative signal which essential acts as the antenna itself. Call me crazy? It worked wonders.

Alternatively, if this does not work for you, you can try and attach a piece of metal wire from the antenna to the body of the computer case to provide the Earth.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers :censored2:

himac59

himac59

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Asus WL-138G V2 pci card still works OOB with 10.7.2
its the IO80211Family.kext and further, i think the AirPortAtheros21.kext

Coda

Coda

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Asus WL-138G V2 pci card still works OOB with 10.7.2

I concur. I'd actually say this card is performing faster under Lion than it does in Leopard.
I was installing Lion 10.7.2 at the weekend for trial to migrate from Leopard, that's how I know :wink2:

crizl

crizl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I have Lion 10.7.1 and my BCM4318 Asus wireless card is not detected! I've already tried changing the pci slot and still the same. I have the kext and the 4318 is indeed in the plugin plist!
Wireless is the only thing left for my hackintosh to be 100% :(

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

I have Lion 10.7.1 and my BCM4318 Asus wireless card is not detected! I've already tried changing the pci slot and still the same. I have the kext and the 4318 is indeed in the plugin plist!
Wireless is the only thing left for my hackintosh to be 100% :(

smbios model ?
dsdt fixed ?

crizl

crizl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
The smbios is identified as MacPro 3,1 and I didn't use dsdt, so no, i didn't fix it. Now somwtimes works on 10.7.1, but after I update it to 10.7.2 ou 10.7.3, I lose it for good, even after replacing it with the kexts I was using in 10.7.1 while it was still working.

LatinMcG

LatinMcG

Insanely digesting DSDT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts
iopcifamilly issue or irq issue.

by the way i noticed if its atheros device id 2a it uses firmware 2.x.x if its device id 30 it uses firmware 4.x.x .. ar9285 fix with device id 30 instead might work
but this is broadcom. so i wonder if similar issue with it.

crizl

crizl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I found a way to make it work, but it only seems to work in verbose mode, in normal boot it's still the same. I deleted IOpcifamily kext and added some other kexts with equivalente information concerning only my device id/vendo ID and added to chameleon boot max_valid_dma_addr=1024. If I don't have that string on kernel flag active, sometimes it even fails on verbose mode, but with the flag, I haven't seen it fail even once in verbose mode.

SuperHack

SuperHack

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
So I just got a 138G V2 card, and it was recognized and could find the networks OOTB. But when I try to connect to my link sys e4200 it is not finding the router and pulling an ip properly. I had another wireless card before that died so I don't know if there are remnants of that card that are causing the system to have issues... I am running 10.7.2. Could someone who has the card working please send me all kexts related to wireless (at least the IO80211Family.kext) and it would be preferable if you were running 10.7.1 or later. Any other suggestions to get the card working?

UPDATE: I was able to find clean kexts online, deleted all the network-related preference information in library->Preferences->System Configuration and it now works. Only issue is that it's not nearly as fast as my wired connection, especially if I am not holding the antenna. Anything I can do to speed it up (software or hardware related)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy