ASUS WL-138g v2

jpschoute

60 posts in this topic

• 4 months later...

Hi all.

This is my resolution for the slow speed issue. I recently purchased this card and installed in on Snow Leopard and I can confirm it works straight OOB. It shows up as an Airport device perfectly.

I did however experience terrible speeds of around 4kbps. Personally, I don't believe the slow speeds have anything to do with drivers etc but more so, some antennas provided with network cards may provide a bad Earth signal.

The antenna to my understanding is connected via a negative signal with the physical network card inside the computer being the positive.

Solution? I removed the antenna.

Give it a try. As soon as I did, it took off for young and old. Some computer cases (such as my Antec) are known to provide the negative signal which essential acts as the antenna itself. Call me crazy? It worked wonders.

Alternatively, if this does not work for you, you can try and attach a piece of metal wire from the antenna to the body of the computer case to provide the Earth.

Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers :censored2:

• 1 year later...

Asus WL-138G V2 pci card still works OOB with 10.7.2

I concur. I'd actually say this card is performing faster under Lion than it does in Leopard.

I was installing Lion 10.7.2 at the weekend for trial to migrate from Leopard, that's how I know :wink2:

• 2 months later...

I have Lion 10.7.1 and my BCM4318 Asus wireless card is not detected! I've already tried changing the pci slot and still the same. I have the kext and the 4318 is indeed in the plugin plist!

Wireless is the only thing left for my hackintosh to be 100% :(

I have Lion 10.7.1 and my BCM4318 Asus wireless card is not detected! I've already tried changing the pci slot and still the same. I have the kext and the 4318 is indeed in the plugin plist!

Wireless is the only thing left for my hackintosh to be 100% :(

smbios model ?

dsdt fixed ?

The smbios is identified as MacPro 3,1 and I didn't use dsdt, so no, i didn't fix it. Now somwtimes works on 10.7.1, but after I update it to 10.7.2 ou 10.7.3, I lose it for good, even after replacing it with the kexts I was using in 10.7.1 while it was still working.

iopcifamilly issue or irq issue.

by the way i noticed if its atheros device id 2a it uses firmware 2.x.x if its device id 30 it uses firmware 4.x.x .. ar9285 fix with device id 30 instead might work

but this is broadcom. so i wonder if similar issue with it.

I found a way to make it work, but it only seems to work in verbose mode, in normal boot it's still the same. I deleted IOpcifamily kext and added some other kexts with equivalente information concerning only my device id/vendo ID and added to chameleon boot max_valid_dma_addr=1024. If I don't have that string on kernel flag active, sometimes it even fails on verbose mode, but with the flag, I haven't seen it fail even once in verbose mode.

• 1 month later...

So I just got a 138G V2 card, and it was recognized and could find the networks OOTB. But when I try to connect to my link sys e4200 it is not finding the router and pulling an ip properly. I had another wireless card before that died so I don't know if there are remnants of that card that are causing the system to have issues... I am running 10.7.2. Could someone who has the card working please send me all kexts related to wireless (at least the IO80211Family.kext) and it would be preferable if you were running 10.7.1 or later. Any other suggestions to get the card working?

UPDATE: I was able to find clean kexts online, deleted all the network-related preference information in library->Preferences->System Configuration and it now works. Only issue is that it's not nearly as fast as my wired connection, especially if I am not holding the antenna. Anything I can do to speed it up (software or hardware related)?