Multi Boot System MacOS Remains

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have Win and Linux installed so far and just High Sierra left to go but unable to install it so far.

1.) I so far have formatted my USB as per various instructionals I have found to Mac OS Extended (journaled)

2.) did the whole sudo <path> --volume <USB drive path> --applicationpath <installer file path> --nointeraction

Bit of a background, my system is old, so I still use good old BIOS

3.) Got the latest clover and ticked just Bootloader -> Install boot0af in MBR and CloverEFI -> CloverEFI 64-bits SATA, then clicked install. I then went into Clover Configurator, opened the config.plist file that was in the EFI folder on the USB that I'm trying to make bootable and selected -v for verbose. Unfortunately, this final step yielded nothing. I don't get any additional readouts when I try to boot from it.

Basically, I then restart my computer, select the USB as the first boot device and after a short message (from memory, part of it is /boot something) which I'm not sure whether it's important, it goes to a screen where there is just an underscore at the top that is constantly on and that's it. I don't get anything happening other than that. Not sure where to look next to be honest. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I have tried to get a bootable USB with #####, but failed. Everything selects fine at all the stages, but when I click to generated the Bootable USB, it quits almost immediately saying that the process failed. I don't know how to troubleshoot #####. I think the main problem is the location of the full size isntaller which apparently resides in /macOS\ Install\ Data/ but when I use terminal or whatever it's called in MacOS, I'm unable to navigate to this folder. I'm not sure how to navigate to it in any other way and how to move this file to for example the desktop. But to be honest, I'm not sure where ##### even looks for this file. High Sierra is selectable but I have a feeling it's looking in the wrong place for it - probably downloads folder? So it probably only sees the 19mb installer?

• 2 weeks later...

Booting the macOS from a USB drive can be fickle on old Bios based systems. I think the trouble you are having is a failure of Clover's first stage boot loader( boot0af ) to load the second stage boot loader (/boot).

Some Bios based systems have trouble with Clover on a USB stick that is formated GUID, so you may want to try and format MBR. Also, you could try the other file, I think it's boot0ss, and then there is the first stage bootloader from chameleon.

Both chameleon and clover load a second stage file named /boot, so if you install chameleon, then install clover, but don't install the first stage, you'll have the first stage bootloader from chameleon, and the secound stage from clover.

This has worked for me in the past on Bios based systems.