Sierra install with Intel 7700K + MSI Z270M Mortar [SUCCESS!]

alexdi

50 posts in this topic

I see a new entry for my monitor under audio devices, but the existing entries seem not to work. (Except my ODAC, an external sound card. Works fine.) Keyboard is half-working (most of the bottom keys don't register). I got a lockup and a reboot a moment ago, possibly because of an overheating problem (?); I haven't installed any of the sensor controls or the like yet.

• Like 1

Hmm, well. The gadget is pickup up legit readings.. and nevermind about the keyboard. :) Turns out I was just pressing the wrong combination. And audio works! It'll be a little bit to see what else works (and doesn't); all the big stuff is here. Thanks again! Really, above and beyond.. 

So, I'm getting a spontaneous reboot every five or ten minutes. Do you know how best to troubleshoot this?

• Like 1

Notice: Downloading Restrictions.cfg ...

Generating ssdt.dsl for a 'iMac17,1' with board-id [Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D]

Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K processor [0x906E9] setup [0x0705]

With a maximum TDP of 95 Watt, as specified by Intel

Number logical CPU's: 8 (Core Frequency: 4200 MHz)

Number of Turbo States: 3 (4300-4500 MHz)

Number of P-States: 38 (800-4500 MHz)

Injected C-States for CPU0 (C1,C3,C6,C7,C8,C9,C10)

Injected C-States for CPU1 (C1,C2,C3,C6,C7)

Warning: 'cpu-type' may be set improperly (0x0705 instead of 0x0905)

- Clover users should read https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/CPU#cpu_type

Error: board-id [Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D] not supported by Kaby Lake – check SMBIOS data / use the -target option

Do you want to continue (y/n)? 

-------

This is correct?

• Like 1

OK. Done and done. As of now (assuming it doesn't reboot), the only quirk of this system is that it seems only to play music out of my center channel. Need to test this with headphones, not sure what's going on. Not a big deal. You've been awesome, thanks again. I'll be installing BT/Wifi and a 10Gbe card soon, may bump this if that turns out to be interesting. 

• Like 1

It's been totally stable for the last day. Sleep works, iMessages works. Rebooting is hit or miss though; sometimes it gets to "System uptime" and reboots. A few times I was in a USB device bootloop. It's never taken more than three tries to boot successfully. Is this par for the course with Hackintoshes? Also getting some texture corruption in games, but I assume that's the beta nVidia driver. 

• Like 1

That's for my Intel X540-T2. Seems to work OK, I was doing 9.5Gb/s with iperf earlier. Doesn't seem like Finder is using it for actual transfers though. Still looking into this. CPU temp is always low, very big cooler.

• Like 1

I was doing really well with your last post. Everything worked pretty much perfectly, until.. this will be a long story.

* Wanted to clone my 500GB OSX SSD (90GB used) to a 256GB SSD

* Reduced the size of the main partition in OSX

* Booted into EaseUS partition manager and "cloned" the (now small enough) partitions from the 500GB drive to the 256GB drive

* Clone didn't seem exactly right, but I rebooted anyway. Clover showed two indistinguishable Mac OS selections. 

* I picked one. The boot was very slow and got halfway done, then failed.

* I picked the other. Same deal.

* I booted back into EaseUS and removed all the partitions from the 256 GB, then rebooted

* Clover showed one Mac OS selection which was clearly the original on the 500GB drive. Picked it.

* The boot was very slow, got halfway done, and failed. Screenshot attached.

Before I did all this, I used CCC to make a "clone" on a third drive. It works fine, except it's not bootable unless the main drive is connected because it doesn't have Clover. I still have a regular Mac and can therefore access and manipulate all the files on the 500GB drive.

The whole point of this was to get a full, bootable clone so I'd have a backup I could swap in. Is this even possible? I did try Clonezilla initially, but it wasn't having anything but a straight copy (which it wouldn't let me do because the 256GB was too small.)

My next plan was to boot into Windows on another drive and use one of the many disk imaging programs on Windows to image the Mac drive, which I could then restore from within the same Windows install if necessary. Is this possible?

My last question is: how can I get my main 500GB install working again? As ever, thank you for the help... I'm very much in the 'breaking eggs while learning' mode.  

post-1190785-0-96824700-1494047128_thumb.jpg

Ok, so I installed that on the backup drive. The EFI partition on the drive was empty before I did. It boots OK half the time. The other half, it goes immediately from the Apple logo to the crossed-out circle. 

I didn't add any of your files to this new Clover install. Should I have?

EDIT-- I went back to the earlier files from your last post. Booted up fine, so I'm going to use Clonezilla to copy back over to the main drive. To be continued, thanks!

Ok, so I installed that on the backup drive. The EFI partition on the drive was empty before I did. It boots OK half the time. The other half, it goes immediately from the Apple logo to the crossed-out circle. 

I didn't add any of your files to this new Clover install. Should I have?

EDIT-- I went back to the earlier files from your last post. Booted up fine, so I'm going to use Clonezilla to copy back over to the main drive. To be continued, thanks!

earlier files have all u need, the 10.12.4, Clover need to solve some problems, 10.12.4 Apple has changed some things.

• 1 month later...

I've started running into a problem more and more frequently. Something, usually but not always certain sites in Chrome, trigger a system-wide slowdown. Everything in the UI takes seconds to respond while this is happening. It lasts ten seconds or more (usually more) until I'm able to close some windows. Activity Monitor doesn't show anything unusual; plenty of free memory, nothing grabbing the CPU. 

I'm still running 10.12.4 with the nVidia drivers for that release. I tried updating to 10.12.5 and broke the install. It never made booted even with VGA-only graphics.

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...