USB problems on Asus P5K-VM motherboard

Flayv

9 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I've successfully installed OS X El Capitan on an old Desktop Computer but I still have some problems that I think are related to new USB on El Capitan. 

Problems : 

• USB sometimes disconnects with no reason, I have to unplug and replug them
  • Can't get to sleep, screen turns off but fans are still spinning and HDD makes some weird noise
  • Main Volume (/) and mounted volumes on that drives shows externals (orange icon on desktop, but connexion through AHCI SATA)

I tried to follow this guide : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/

I extracted DSDT with Clover (F4) and apply the patch to rename devices but couldn't get further because there is no PRT devices for USB (PRT0 and PRT1 are inside SATA device, I don't have other PRT devices).

Note : there are only USB 2.0 port in this computer.

I'd like some help and advises in order to fix problems above : 

- Is this really a USB problem ?
    - What can I do with a DSDT like this one ?

Thanks.

My specs : 

Asus P5K-VM

Intel Core 2 Duo @2.34Ghz

RAM : 3Go DDR2

SATA : HDD (Maxtor STM3250310AS, 250Go), CD/DVD (TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203D)

Clover config : 

Config file attached

No kexts injected

Only 64bits drivers installed + EmuVariableUefi + PartitionDxe

No DSDT injected

Kexts installed : 

FakeSMC

AppleALC

AppleRTL8139Ethernet

Output of pmset -g assertion : 

Desktop:~ user$ pmset -g assertions
2016-06-16 18:39:53 +0200 
Assertion status system-wide:
   BackgroundTask                 1
   ApplePushServiceTask           0
   UserIsActive                   0
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep    0
   PreventSystemSleep             0
   ExternalMedia                  1
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep     0
   NetworkClientActive            0
   InternalPreventSleep           1
Listed by owning process:
   pid 51(powerd): [0x000000320008012c] 00:02:05 ExternalMedia named: "com.apple.powermanagement.externalmediamounted" 
   pid 51(powerd): [0x0000008d000d01ea] 00:00:32 InternalPreventSleep named: "com.apple.powermanagement.acwakelinger" 
	Timeout will fire in 12 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
   pid 42(UserEventAgent): [0x00000037000b0136] 00:01:59 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds.power" 
	Created for PID: 60. 
Kernel Assertions: 0x4=USB
   id=500  level=255 0x4=USB mod=01/01/1970 01:00 description=com.apple.usb.externaldevice.fd600000 owner=USB Storage
Idle sleep preventers: IODisplayWrangler

ACPI_Dump.zip

config.plist.zip

DSDT.aml.zip

I've just fixed the SATA drives showing as external with this fix : https://github.com/a-anosov-parc/hackintosh-tools/blob/master/dsdt_editor/DSDT%20Editor/Patches/AHCI%20SATA%20orange%20icon.txt

I continued digging into the sleep problem. Here is what the computer exactly do : 

- After a while, it finally goes to sleep

- After less than 1s, it auto wakes from sleep but screen stays black

- It loops trying to sleep then auto wakes

It really seems to be an USB problem : in console, it shows "Wake reason: EUSB" (or EHCI with DSDT rename patch). I tried unplug every USB device before sleep but didn't change anything. Couldn't find the solution to this error, I'd really need some help.
Random USB disconnection seems gone though.

I just succeed to get sleep working, not sure what exact fix changed that. 

Steps I've followed : 

patched HPET, TIMR, RTC, IPIC sections : 

HPET : Add IRQNoFlags() {0,8,11,15} into device HPET, Name(CRS, ResourceTemplate){}

TIMR : Remove IRQNoFlags() {0} into device TIMR

RTC : Remove IRQNoFlags() {8} into device RTC

IPIC : Remove IRQNoFlags() {2} into device IPIC

patched OSFL method

Deleted all the tests in DSDT related to OS check detection. I think I'll try to just patch OSFL method for simpler patch.

patched EHCI/UHCI sections

Applied patched "ICH9 USB sleep", "EHCI sleep", "EHCI Ownership", "LPC ICH9".

Finally, I deleted all _PRW methods for EHCI, UCHI, and UHC1-7.

I already tried to just delete EHCI and UCHI without any other patch (or with just _DSM usb patches) but it didn't worked, sleep wasn't working (loop sleep). It just disabled power in USB and I couldn't wake computer anymore. Only the deletion of _PRW methods enabled sleep so this is a required step, I don't know if others steps were needed.

Now, it goes sleep and doesn't auto wake up. When I press power button, I don't have any power in USB and I can't wake screen which stays black though. I'll dig into this fix to improve it but any help would be much appreciated  :D 

EDIT : 
That's interesting, none of the above patch is required in order to get sleep. The only thing that is effective is to delete each _PRW methods of EHCI, UCHI and UHC1-7. If I remove _PRW from EHCI, I can't get USB to work after wake (no power in usb ports). I also can't get screen to wake except with keyboard/mouse which doesn't work without EHCI _PRW.

• 7 months later...

I am actually trying to set up the el capitian with the same motherboard. before it wasn't even going to the apple icon, but I copied your config file and DSDT for clover and now it does, but hangs on with USB issues.  Where did you get the kexts you use?

Also, how did you format your drive? Guid or MBR?

Flayv, I've installed Mac OS of one version or another on this board for years. I LOVE this board. There is a simpler solution: Remove your DSDT file and remove AppleHPET.kext from system-library-extensions. With it I have never gotten firewire or the first two usb connectors under the PS2 connectors to work. Without it all the problems disappear. From my experience, I've never needed it and I have used this MB with Pro Tools 9.

I used your config file, loaded up every single driver option for drivers64 and Plus every one for 10.12.2 on the rampagedev site, added the HFSPlus-64.efi and that allowed the system to work. Also I was trying to get it to boot with a EVGA ge force 710, and it didn't work, but when I went back to a nvidia 520 card, It finally booted and worked. There's probably too many kexts in there, but it works and I don't want to take the time to remove them one at a time to see what happens.

I am having the same icon issue. Chameleon use to have a patch built in to it to fix the problem. As I have never built my own DSDT file, and wouldn't want to attempt to do it for just that one issue.

I haven't checked sleep yet. I'll let you know.

My two cents on it.

Now if I could just get Sierra to boot on this motherboard, life would be beautiful.

For the sound I found this link on the board. I used the ALC883 and the HDAEnabler7 kexts

Another thing about USB

It works once the system boots on all ports, and works in the motherboard boot, but does not work in clover unless you have a usb hub attached between the keyboard and the motherboard. Why, I don't know, but that is what I've found. I am using a switcher and that may be the reason, but either way. USB works as it should

Another solution for yellow icons that worked for me. 

<key>KextsToPatch</key>

<array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>External icons patch</string>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>RXh0ZXJuYWw=</data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleAHCIPort</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>SW50ZXJuYWw=</data>
            </dict>