Imac 27" Early 2011 upgrade

Tenchikun

2 posts in this topic

Hi, so I might be posting this in the wrong section and feel free to correct me if I have. So i'm posting this here because Imacs use laptop components. Here is what I'd like to do and i'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. 

So I have an Imac and the only thing I can really upgrade is the video card to the radeon 6 series and the ram and replacing the dvd drive with a solid state drive. What I'd like to do is find a way to actually upgrade the power supply to support new components such as a solid state drive and a new radeon 9 series video card. I'd have to use a video card made for a mac which I have tracked down but from what i've found its probably not going to fit even if I try to make room inside the case. The 6 series can be made to fit but i'm running a radeon 5750 and its not much of an upgrade. 

Another idea I had was actually gutting this imac and making a new case for all the components so everything can fit. I know its a bit ambitious but as a seasoned pc builder and modder i'm ready for the challenge. 

Does anyone know whether or not these new components are actually going to work with el capitan and where I might look to find extention cables for most of the components i'd need to move out of this case to make new ones fit? 

Thanks

Imac 27" 2011

I7 870 2.93GHz

8 gigs ram

1TB hd

Radeon 5750

Hi,

In my opinion, sell off the iMac, in comparison to x86 systems, Mac's do not lose their value.

You are asking us to tell you if components work, without giving information about the components...

A SSD, and A Radeon 9 Series could be anything.

Please specify :)